We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Magicians' rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
This has probably been addressed here before, but I wasn't able to find it in the forums (fora?).

I have seen much written on the internet about the rope that Tabary, Ogawa, etc. use for their rope routines. On the videos it looks thicker and more pliable than "regular" rope. The leads I have followed thus far have not been what I expected, so I am hoping some of you might be able to help.

Thank you,

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Zednanreh
View Profile
Loyal user
Miami, FL
211 Posts

Profile of Zednanreh
http://sorcery.safeshopper.com/20/cat20.htm?254

I believe this is what you are referring to. I honestly don't know anywhere else to get it from, nor do I know about the quality. Let me know the quality if you order or get some from somewhere else. I have small bits of rope YEARS old and I got it from a local dealer. Shame I forgot how to do professor's nightmare.

- Alex
So you want to market or sell your trick? Before you do, read this!
Palle
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Palle
Amos, I am looking for the Tabary kind of rope too and haven't been able to find any yet.

The rope Alex is referring to is the "Elite" rope which is flat and doesn't work for Tabary style routines. It is nice rope though for some other stuff.

Shoot's rope routine is based on Tabary moves and thicker round rope would be great for that too as you point out.

Please let me know if you find any and I'll do the same.

palle...
ralphdean
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern Ca
302 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
Daryl has wonderful rope. Try him at
http://www.foolerdoolers.com.
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
I think that the best magicians' rope I have ever used is from the UK. It is Castle Magic's Castle Cord. Check out Mikes website http://www.castlemagic.co.uk

Its great stuff

Regards,
TM
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
I go through quite a bit of rope. I usually buy 100 metre drums from Davenports in London. Very economical and VERY good quality.

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
I was reading about old rope escapes and they talked about Sash Cord , What is it and can you still get it?
Penn & Teller "God Bless Them"
Zednanreh
View Profile
Loyal user
Miami, FL
211 Posts

Profile of Zednanreh
After I rewatched all of Daryl's Fooler Doolers, I am starting to get a renewed interest in rope magic and I'm *thinking* of getting some. I figure I will need roughly 20 feet (my guess, correct me if I'm wrong). My question simply is, how do I prevent split ends when I cut the rope and is there any way to maintain it?

- Alex
So you want to market or sell your trick? Before you do, read this!
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Keven, sash cord is rope used in old double hung windows. It is attached to weights to counter balance the weight of the window so
that the window is easy to raise and lower.
I have old windows in my house and I don't think this strong, stiff rope would be good for rope magic.
oblique
This is my 18 th year on being a member of the cafe.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1566 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The best way I have found to prevent split ends is to prepare and seal the ends.

This is done by taking the ends of a rope that have been cut straight across and, using the one end of the scissors, poke the rope back into itself.

Basically what your doing is pushing the ends of the rope back in on itself (into the hole in the middle where the core used to be) all the way around the rope and then sealing it with a drop of glue.

Think of it as doing the exact opposite of folding socks. Instead of taking the inside and folding it out, you take the outside and fold it in.

The ropes I got with the "Three Ropes and a Baby" trick are prepared this way.

This suggestion is attributed to Guy Camirand in the instructions.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
stick
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of stick
Definitely Castle Magic of York for the best rope. It works fine for Tabary routines... well I found it ok anyway.
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Andy, is this...

Davenports Magic Shop
Charing Cross Underground Shopping
Conco
5 Adelaide Street
London
WC2N 4HZ
Phone 02078360408

...the Davenports you mentioned in your post?

If so, do you know if they have a web address? It's a long soggy drive for some of us. Smile

Thanks
Steve
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
You can also glue or melt the ends to keep them from fraying. It depends on what the rope is made from.
Daniel Faith
Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
Good old Elmers glue will do the trick most of the time.
The power is within us all...I'm just a little more full of it.
danmonroe.bravehost.com
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
Rope, I think, is a matter of personal preference (and pocket book.)

My current rope routine uses lots of rope, so I get by nicely with common cotton clothesline. It's inexpensive. I get a hundred foot hank for about $4.00 US.

The only preparation I do anymore is to core it.

The basic routine I'm now using is a C&R (from Abbotts), then PN Setup (from ALLMAGIC.COM), followed by a Professors Nightmare. The ropes then are vanished and reappear tied together. Then a restore of the 3 uneven ropes via popoff knots. It's all a keep-it-simple-make-it-fun thing.

This is not what I call a sophisticated routine, but it works for me.

I use probably 10 feet of rope per performance.

Cost is neglible.

Time about 6 - 8 minutes.

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
emptycupmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of emptycupmagic
Please PM me for information on the best and brightest core-able colored rope available.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Magicians' rope (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL