The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » LOL Ellusionist! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
So I've been waiting for weeks now for the new Arcane deck (I use red bikes to perform, but always love a new deck for the collection) and they hyped the darn thing so much, their servers can't handle it! Can't get into the site to get one, oh well! Was hopeing to get in in the first 24 hours to have a chance to win some free stuff (who doesn't like free stuff!)

Brandon Juhnke
DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
Did you end up getting one? lol..
ico
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
109 Posts

Profile of ico
It's only been 12 hours and it looks like the initial rush subsided... so he might
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
The arcane deck is not signed and numbered by the artist. So there's no need the get there first, there is no number 1. Wait a couple of hours and then order a deck. It will be the same deck as the first costumer arriving at the shop.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
Figment
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Figment
Glad to see it wasn't just me...
ico
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
109 Posts

Profile of ico
Quote:
On 2009-10-28 05:59, Zebaztian wrote:
The arcane deck is not signed and numbered by the artist. So there's no need the get there first, there is no number 1. Wait a couple of hours and then order a deck. It will be the same deck as the first costumer arriving at the shop.

that's right, but they also have a special deal going during the first 24 hours - a slim chance of getting it, but it's worth trying for some.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
I'm not being a reason for their uber-hyping.

Soon the so beloved, "dreamed", produced and blablablah Arcane will be as common as a Black Tiger, lol.

The deck looks cool, but for me is just another one.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
Well, if there was a premium for the first buyers, then I understand.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Ho hum....
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Pooh
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
I had to wake up earlier for work today, so got two of each this morning, what I would really like is the uncut sheet, but that is like hitting the lottery.
ico
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
109 Posts

Profile of ico
Funny, now they have a video on Youtube blaming the problems on some kid DoS-ing the server... well even if this is true, they should expect getting hacked often enough, with their customer base...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57wbsoyYyxI
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2009-10-29 00:40, Demonbrn wrote:
I had to wake up earlier for work today, so got two of each this morning, what I would really like is the uncut sheet, but that is like hitting the lottery.

Wy not frame a bunch of cards together aligned just as an uncut sheet?
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
ico
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
109 Posts

Profile of ico
Quote:
On 2009-10-29 08:50, Fábio DeRose wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-10-29 00:40, Demonbrn wrote:

Wy not frame a bunch of cards together aligned just as an uncut sheet?

because this is not 'leet Smile

Why do some people collect first editions of magic books instead of buying much cheaper reprints?
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
LOL, there would be gaps in the corners. I wasn't expecting much of these cards except to look good, so I can't complain much on the "Super leet handling, ZOMGZORS!" which didn't exsist. The black deck's DF was off center about 1/8th of an inch, which renders it pretty much useless in my eyes. But they will look nice next to the other "Collector's" decks I will eventually need a shelf for, lol. Though the Ace spade design is nice enough that it may be my tattoo I've been wanting to get (just a spade, no special reveal tat or anything, just looking for the right one.

Brandon Juhnke
ProgrammingAce
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of ProgrammingAce
I dunno, ellusionist is hosted by rackspace; they're the largest commercial hosting company on the planet. If they can't keep a site online, then there's something serious going on. I'll give E the benefit of the doubt on that one.

The cards look cool, but I have my doubts as a performance deck. I'm sure I'll have fun playing with them, but there's no way I'm pulling out a deck that says "Arcane" on the back in front of a spec.

If I wanted to frame a deck, I'd fill the frame with black contact (or construction) paper, then set the cards down.
ico
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
109 Posts

Profile of ico
Quote:
On 2009-10-30 04:35, ProgrammingAce wrote:
I dunno, ellusionist is hosted by rackspace; they're the largest commercial hosting company on the planet. If they can't keep a site online, then there's something serious going on. I'll give E the benefit of the doubt on that one.

I don't' want to turn this thread into a nerd topic, but it looks like their ecommerce backend died under the load of transactions - when I tried, it kept throwing Java exceptions at me at the auth stage. The frontend did go down for a short period, but was quickly restored, they probably beefed up the capacity of whatever CMS they use.
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
I played with the black deck last night a bit, they are pretty resilliant I must say, I LePaul spread it for about 2 hours, just a couple of thumb riffles on each edge and they were back to normal. I'm playing with the black to see how fast the edges fade (Think my back in black bundle (tiger/ghost/shadow) faded after about a week in casual use).

Brandon Juhnke
ProgrammingAce
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of ProgrammingAce
Before the audience says anything about the deck, I'll say something like "I use these cards because they've had all the color drained out of them. We can imprint them with our own thoughts and emotions". Talk about how the cards have a "symbiotic relationship" and nobody will question 'em.

If someone really starts to question the custom deck, I usually carry a gaffed deck along with me. I'll say "These are just normal cards, but I can understand why you're questioning them. They're doing amazing things. Would you be more comfortable if we switch out with this deck?". I'll pull out a blue or red gaff deck and start doing those routines.

If the audience thinks custom cards are gaffed, why not use that against them? I'll discard a clean custom deck to swap in a gaffed blue or red deck. Gets 'em every time.
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
Quote:
On 2009-11-05 12:40, youdontknowme182 wrote:
Doesn't a custom deck of any kind scream "GAFF?"
Just was wondering

I've never met anyone that even knew what a gaff was, let alone a whole deck of them. I very rarely use these decks for tricks, mostly for my own amusement, but when I do, they compliment it and enjoy the trick.

I feel to many people use this; "People will think it's a trick deck!" as an excuss to say they don't like it. They're good decks, and if you don't like them, then that's fine, just say so.

As people who know the trade, we know there may be somthing else to it, because we KNOW. =)

Quote:
On 2009-11-05 16:39, ProgrammingAce wrote:
It depends on how you present them. Before the audience says anything about the deck, I'll say something like "I use these cards because they've had all the color drained out of them. We can imprint them with our own thoughts and emotions". Talk about how the cards have a "symbiotic relationship" and nobody will question 'em.

If someone really starts to question the custom deck, I usually carry a gaffed deck along with me. I'll say "These are just normal cards, but I can understand why you're questioning them. They're doing amazing things. Would you be more comfortable if we switch out with this deck?". I'll pull out a blue or red gaff deck and start doing those routines.

If the audience thinks custom cards are gaffed, why not use that against them? I'll discard a clean custom deck to swap in a gaffed blue or red deck. Gets 'em every time.

Good show!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » LOL Ellusionist! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL