The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Mindvention Fun (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Wear protection
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Hi Christian,

I just got a call from Jim and he decompressed about his talk there. He said he looked for you and Kat but apparently it was SRO and he couldn't spot you. Did you two see his talk? Would love your point-of-view, of course.

Like Tony, I'm enjoying your Mindvention reports immensely.

Warm regards,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Christian & Katalina
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Christian & Katalina
Day two of Mindvention was outstanding:

First not enough sleep…. But we drive on……

The Callahan lecture was fun. He kept the attention of the entire audience for a full hour. For those that love Callahan it was a home run…. For those that love to hate Callahan it was disappointing as he was charming and non-controversial, almost offering an olive branch for some that find him irritating. He was funny and told a great story as to how he used publicity to get him to the show “Phenomena”.

Next was the Larry Becker interview. What can you say about this? Larry is a great influence in mentalism and his book “Stunners” is a modern classic. He was dapper and regaled us with great stories that included an account about Jack Benny. He deserved the Life time achievement award. This was great fun.

Next was a panel discussion about Mentalism with Nyman, Cassidy, Banachek, and Carter. Wow, what a fun ride. The questions from the audience combined with the pithy and funny comments from the panel had the audience spellbound for . . . . . well a long time. This was a true highlight for many people at the convention. Smart, Funny, and informative this panel was absolutely a one of a kind moment for many up and coming mentalists.

The Andy Nyman lecture was fast paced fun, lots of interesting effects combined with mentalism theory made for a great learning experience. His comments on how to bring a spectator on stage was funny and right to the point. It is just so difficult to explain all of the information that is put out in these mini lectures and panels.

After a short break it was time for the American Attendee show. I am sorry to say I was unable to get all the names of the people who performed during this time but I will do my best to remember what I saw. First was a very clever Clue game presentation. Next was a Spoon bending/rapid hypnotic induction demo . . . very impressive. Then came a piece about Fortune telling fish and adding the numbers on a dollar bills, it was so funny I can hardly remember the whole premise, but it did come to a successful end and great applause. Next, Danny Archer performed a very commercial and hard hitting piece about reading the mind of an audience member and determining what movie they are thinking of. He is selling this one and it is well worth the money. Then came a hard hitting lottery prediction that seemed totally impossible . . . I mean the odds were something like a Bazillion to one.

To end the Attendee show was Katalina and I. We performed two different effects one was a piece about post cards and Candy, the other was the Professor’s Challenge. I will let others that are reading this post make their comments about how they liked it.

I had a great time talking with the Germans and Belgians and trading cultural stories that made us laugh out loud. They are a great group and I was very happy to meet and party with them. To end the night was the usual gathering of the mental minds. We ended up listening to Max Maven entertaining us about some great stories of his travels in Japan. Finally, sleeplessness over took us and I am ready to pass out as I finish this post at 3:00 in the morning.

Oh, and at some time during the night Scott Wells interviewed us for Magicnewswire.com. You will have to check there to see if it got posted yet. It was basically a repost of the day’s events. Magicnewswire.com gets a huge recommendation from us. We enjoy the content on that sight greatly.

Please excuse me if I made any errors or forgot something.
Milbourne Christopher Award for Mentalism 2011
The Annemann Award for Menatalism 2016
Author of "Protoplasm" Close-up Mentalism
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3968 Posts

Profile of JanForster
So Katalina and Christian, being one of the Germans you were writing about I give my compliments sincerely back to you and your lovely wife. Your performance was great and we are still bursting out laughing when we think and talk about what and how you have presented your act. Perfect to close the show! Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Christian & Katalina
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Christian & Katalina
The final day of Mindvention . . . . .

Lack of sleep begins to play tricks with the mind . . . but this was very very very fun.

We start the day off with the Foreign Country Attendee show. It was great . . . so many good acts . . . Pete from Finland (or Findland . . . inside joke) did a very direct teabag divination . . . I have no idea . . . and he was very funny.

Eric Samuels was very funny in a dry kind of way . . . . with many inside jokes. It was a great routine. It was a prediction effect with Candy. Awesome.

Matthew Johnson somehow combined the Village People with a tossed out deck . . .if you weren’t here it is too difficult to explain. It was commercial all the way… you know this kills for laymen.

There were many others and they were creative and fun.

This was followed by two lectures . . . . One by Cassidy, the other by Maven. If you are a mentalist, nothing more needs to be said. Two giants of mentalism lecturing back to back… WOW.

The night finished with an all star show … Sean Taylor MCed, Andy Nyman, Devin Knight, Alain Nu, Cassidy, and Maven. Max Maven closed the show to a standing ovation.

In closing, I will say that this was a great convention, Danny and Robert did an outstanding job.

A lot of what made this convention rock was the stuff that happened outside the lectures and shows . Kat and I met so many new people. We had a great time with Jousha Quinn, great thinking and all around nice guy… plays the piano very well by the way.

Got to listen to some stories by Chris Kenner, Hung out with Jeff McBride, Laughed and cut up with Kevin Burke, Found out what new projects are coming out with Todd Carr, Christopher Taylor was very kind and super nice, I met Blake Adams and we talked about working in the College market, Tom Paxton showed me a very interesting business card with an optical illusion, Dan and Diane Solo were great fun and presented a gambling mystery that . . . fooled me. I got to see my old friend Bill Ogletree who with his biting wit kept me in laughing throughout the convention. I hung out and talked with Larry Becker who’s book “Stunners” inspired me greatly many years back . . and so many more people that I can not mention them all because I am really tired.

I hope everyone has enjoyed this 2 week blog as I will be signing off for a while and getting some sleep.
Milbourne Christopher Award for Mentalism 2011
The Annemann Award for Menatalism 2016
Author of "Protoplasm" Close-up Mentalism
Christophercarter
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of Christophercarter
I've loved every word of your blog. Enjoy some rest. You deserve it. And thanks more than I can say for all your help and for introducing me on Sunday.

-Chris
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1190 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
I too had a great time meeting you all.

Christian, your performance was very entertaining and I am glad I had the opportunity to meet you both. Best of luck on all your future endeavors.

Jan, It was a pleasure meeting you as well.

Christopher, I am sorry I missed your performance but I heard nothing but great things from everyone who saw it.

It was so nice to see so many from the Café there and also meet some old friends and new faces.

Hope our paths cross again soon.

Max Krause
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3968 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Max, hope to see you soon again! Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
SeanTaylor
View Profile
New user
Australia
54 Posts

Profile of SeanTaylor
Hey guys

Sitting in the airport (2 hour delay) and reading over some of this stuff. The aussie crew had a blast with you lot. Having 19 countries represented can only add to these events. The acts from the overseas guys really added another dimension.

Being on the show with Bob, Max, Andy, Alain and Devin was a blast for me too.

We will be disecting the experience all the way home (24 hours in total!)

Talk soon.

Sean
sean@seantaylor.com.au
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Mindvention Fun (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL