The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Best Hypnosis Program (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
What is yoru opinion of the best program to learn Hypnosis?

I have actually seen link to schools that teach the craft. Ahs anyone went to any schooling here on the Magic Café?

If so where at?

Would you reccomend that instead of the many DVD programs?
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
There are too many variable to say that one particular school is better than another. If I like one particular instructor and find that she communicates well it doesn't mean that you will find that same person good for you.

On the other hand, you can look at what the various school teach and select the one that has the most thorough curriculum, including subjects taught and in-class hours.

I strongly recommend in-person training over DVD programs and books. However, I also strongly recommend DVD programs and books to complement your in-person training.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
We all learn differently. Some people benefit from in-person training. Others learn more effectively in other ways. Personally I get best results, across all areas of knowledge, from books. But this week I have finally ordered some DVDs to suppliment my book-based knowledge.
Look at your life and your academic record and you will know how your learn best. But the advantage of books is they are cheaper than DVDs, which are cheaper than courses. So if hypnosis is not your thing, you have not lost much in finding out. Good luck, however you go about it. Tony.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
You can only truly learn hypnosis from a good training. Then your knowledge base can be increased by other means. Without the experiential training you will never have an indepth understanding. Since you must experience varies levels of trance and techniques in order to fully understand them.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Something must be wrong! MP and I almost agree completely. The only difference I have with this is that I would say "most people can best learn hypnosis thoroughly from a good training" rather than saying the "only" way to learn is from a good training. I've seen some people pick up some aspects from books and DVDs. A tiny percentage of that small percentage can get quite good at it.

However, in my experience the vast majority of people who try to learn hypnosis from books and DVDs fail or have limited success and abandon it, often bad mouthing it or coming onto hypnosis forums asking for the "best" script for this or that. By the same token, most people who take trainings never practice hypnosis either as amateurs or professionally, but at least they know it and don't bad mouth it.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I have to disagree with the last two contributions. I have not seen Mindpunisher or Dmkraig performing so I cannot say what sorts of shows they do. But I know I do a top class show, and I have never had any formal training.
Barry Sinclair, Paul Goldin and Paul McKenna all did shows before they did formal training. I don'tknow about McKenna, but Goldin and Sinclair were giants of the business, and neither ever took formal training.
Its showbusiness - you can do it or you can't. All the training in the world won't give you showmanship.
This is a forum about stage hypnotism, not therapy. Too much crap is finding its way into these posts.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
It depends on what you mean Tony. If you want to learn hypnosis you need to take training. you obviously don't want to learn. I don't think you have much understanding of the subject to be honest. The poster wanted to learn hypnosis. Perhaps if you had taken some good training you wouldn't believe everybody pretends to have their hands stuck together.
Kukushka
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Kukushka
What you guys mean when you talk "formal training"?
Many trainer sell you one week training course and if you pass the course (if you pay money and be there) you get sertification what tells that you are hypnotist, or hypnotherapist, or you know ericsonian hypnosis and so on...

There is one problem.. There is no any kind of quality requirement what those training program should include in their programs...
When things are like this I think you should look very carefully where you but your money because every courses not be very quality stuff...
I have seen some worst 5 day training course where they just talk and talk and talk and actually they just marketing what they do and there was nothing more. Smile
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Mindpunisher, this is a forum on STAGE hypnosis. I do STAGE hypnosis, and I do it very well. I don't do therapy, and have taken very little training in theraputic hypnotherapy.
Its like when I write. I write books, and I do it on a computer, using a word-processing programme. But I have never bothered to take the time to learn to programme a computer. It is irrelavent to what I do.
Theraputic hypnosis is irrelavent to what I do. Kevinr posted on a STAGE hypnosis forum, and I answered him as a stage hypnotist. I stand by my answer.
Kukushka
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Kukushka
I think even if this is stage hypnosis section where people talk about stage hypnosis... they still should know what can happen and how you should handle if it happen.
traumatic experience when someone were a kid can come in mind when you ask someone to go past when he/she was a kid. Yeah that should be funny thing when adult imagine that they are 10 year old, but what if that adult was raped when he/she was 10 year old and you dig that traumatic experience back in mind?

Hypnotist play with people's mind and even if it is only part of show you should know what can happen and you should take responsibility if it happen.
there is no need to know more about psychology in stage hypnosis, but you should know what could happen so your audience have no need to go therapy after your show...
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Tony says: "Its showbusiness - you can do it or you can't. All the training in the world won't give you showmanship."

I completely agree, 100%.

Kukushka says: "Hypnotist play with people's mind and even if it is only part of show you should know what can happen and you should take responsibility if it happen. There is no need to know more about psychology in stage hypnosis, but you should know what could happen so your audience have no need to go therapy after your show... "

True but the dangers are way overly exaggerated. There are more chances of them falling off the stage than needing therapy afterwards.
Go talk to stage hypnotists. Ask them how many people have needed therapy after their show. When they tell you no-one, ever, then ask how many went into an abreaction during their show. Someone might finally say that it happened... once. But that'll be in the minority.
Any sensible person can handle an abreaction. A non-sensible person with years of hypnosis experience will have a fit if they ever witness someone having an abreaction. Both of these things will/will not happen for the reasons I've just given.
Hypnotherapists who do 'free-association' actively seek abreactions with EVERY single client!!! Yet many, after over 10 years have NEVER achieved that!!! Think about that.
Now then, what I've just given you are complete and absolute facts. I don't care who wants to argue against that. So just believe it, it'll save time.

For the record The best way to learn (in my view)is to be mentored. But I'm sure talented people can very easily learn the basics from books and DVD's in such a way that the layman wouldn't know it.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2009-10-29 17:40, TonyB2009 wrote:
Mindpunisher, this is a forum on STAGE hypnosis. I do STAGE hypnosis, and I do it very well. I don't do therapy, and have taken very little training in theraputic hypnotherapy.
Its like when I write. I write books, and I do it on a computer, using a word-processing programme. But I have never bothered to take the time to learn to programme a computer. It is irrelavent to what I do.
Theraputic hypnosis is irrelavent to what I do. Kevinr posted on a STAGE hypnosis forum, and I answered him as a stage hypnotist. I stand by my answer.

Very true Tony but you don't do stage hypnosis you do showmanship. You don't even believe people get their hands stuck together. This is a forum about stage HYPNOSIS. I never mentioned therapy.

Posted: Oct 29, 2009 7:50pm
>>>True but the dangers are way overly exaggerated. There are more chances of them falling off the stage than needing therapy afterwards.
Go talk to stage hypnotists. Ask them how many people have needed therapy after their show. When they tell you no-one, ever, then ask how many went into an abreaction during their show. Someone might finally say that it happened... once.<<<

And eh ...you keep in touch with all your volunteers? Falling off stage or psychological damage does it really matter which? I have had at least five abreactions when I was doing shows. Ive seen at least five at other shows.

I saw a very experienced pro Barrie Sinclair fall to pieces because he couldn't control an extreme abreaction. (who was self taught by the way)It was very disturbing to watch.

I have experienced at least half a dozen sleepers. One took 45 minutes to come round after the show in front of a concerned crowd. She didn't recognise her boyfriend and thought she was shopping in st James's centre with her parents! Ive had one person just freak out totally and run out the venue (near the start of my career.) Where there was a mile long harbour 40 feet in front of the hotel. I've had all sorts of things happen. I know of other things that happened to other hypnotists.

Bobser I think those you talk to are either not that expertienced or just don't talk about these things. I can tell you they do happen.
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
I like Geoffrey and Wendy Ronning at http://www.stagehypnosiscenter.com/
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2009-10-29 19:50, mindpunisher wrote:
I have experienced at least half a dozen sleepers. One toook 45 minutes to come round after the show in front of a concerned crowd.

45 Minutes? No wonder you no longer do shows! You should have had more training.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:

Bobser I think those you talk to are eiher not that experienced or just don't talk about these things. I can tell you they do happen.

Well, you're wrong. It's that simple. If what you're saying happened then I accept it, but the person who was responsible for that happening was you, so... sloppy job! I'm assuming you're more experienced now I know what I'm say is true because I'm as highly experienced as you'll find it dealing whith abreactions or knowing how NOT to have my hypnotee have one. And I can tell by what a person says (instantly) whether they are. You're not, but fair enough at least you've admitted that.
ie: we both KNOW it was your fault when that person ran out of the hall near the harbour, albeit you are far more experienced now.
I don't know Tony by the way, I'm not even sure if I'd like him, BUT c'mon, gie the lad a break. He is obviously a highly experienced comedy stage hypnotist who knows stuff. Tons of stuff. And all he's doing is saying what he's experienced. Now MP, you are very good at winding people up and yes you have played Tony like a fine violin (Tony stop biting, you can't win!). Why don't you two meet up and have a dram? Find out what your commonalities you have rather than your differences. Build a company together. Fall in love...
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Bobser, of all the people who have a go at me on this forum I think that Mindpunisher is the one I could sit down and have a dram with. He sounds like a reasonable grouch. But it would have to be a good dram - Talisker, by preference. You can join us. Tony.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I'd love to Tony. Glenmorangie for me. Probably a sweet sherry with lemonade for yer man.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2009-10-30 12:53, dmkraig wrote:
Quote:
I have experienced at least half a dozen sleepers. One toook 45 minutes to come round after the show in front of a concerned crowd.

45 Minutes? No wonder you no longer do shows! You should have had more training.

Well I guess that must go for many dozens of highly experienced hypnotists. Perhaps once you have hypnotised enough people you will find them. And some do not respond to the so called methods for arousing.

And yes Bobser some things did happen at the start but I had training I had a mentor also. My point is No one should be hypnotising in the streets and especially after reading a book.

The 45 minute one happened the night before the opening of Rob Roy. I was on stage at the odeon. The next day Liam Neson and Tim Roth and a host of other stars were going to be attending in the same auditorium. The sleeper had two big dirty hearing aids in each ear. Her boyfriend tried turning them up. Only to see her body twitch uncontrobably and a high pitch whistling sound come from her aids. Her boy friend wanted to throw her over his shoulder and throw her in the back of his van. The lights were on they started working around us to prepare the stage for the opening night. There was a growing audience at the back of the auditorium watching. When she finally came round she didn't recognise her boy friend and didn't him anywhere near her. To which he once again replied that he would just throw her over his shoulder and throw her into the back of the van. Im telling you you need good people management skills it could've easily ended up with someone phoning for an ambulance. Which has hap[pened for a number of hypnotists.

Halpern with decades of experience got sued for a broken hip when omeone fell off the stage in Glasgow.

"The Man" got charged when someone dived off a table thinking he was a champion swimmer and injured his neck. One of his stage volunteers got taken to hospital once after his show because the suggestions weren't removed properly.

It happens Bobser alright. You are in denial as are your mates. And the more hypnotists around its a numbers game the more incedents will find themselves into the media. You street boys are a gift for those journo's looking for a story. A GIFT I TELL YA MANOR FROM HEAVEN.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I think getting out there and just doing it is the best learning you can get. I know after my study, it was hard to take the first step. JMO.

Candin
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I did my first shows after reading a book. I was lucky to get it quickly (a good hypnotist, Adrian Knight, gave me some great pointers). It can be done that way.
I know the guy who promoted my first show was so delighted with the result that he spent six months getting a diploma in hypnotherapy - then he began promoting his own show. Unfortunately he never mastered stage hypnosis. He took twenty minutes over his inductions, and got few under. I do five minute inductions (a lot quicker in some cases) and get most under.
But my promoter was trained, and I wasn't. My promoter believes in hypnosis, and I don't. So I guess what I am saying is that Hawley is right - read a book, watch a few shows, and go out and do it. Good luck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Best Hypnosis Program (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL