The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Best Hypnosis Program (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
MatthewH
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of MatthewH
I live in one of the most isolated cities in the world, so resources for me so far have been mostly books/dvds (and progression has been going really well) but if anyone knows of decent training round these parts, let me know! Digging around on the net, I can only really find strict hypnotherapy courses near here.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 23:41, matthew hale wrote:
I live in one of the most isolated cities in the world, so resources for me so far have been mostly books/dvds (and progression has been going really well) but if anyone knows of decent training round these parts, let me know! Digging around on the net, I can only really find strict hypnotherapy courses near here.

Fly me down under and I will train you. I hate our weather at this time of year. I could do with a sunny break..
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
What is the "BEST" book for stage hypnosis? I am reading two different ones right now but they are dated. Ormond McGill's book and a very old book called "hypnosis simplified." My grandmother bought me the second book when I was 10 years old from a magic shop.

I have registered for a hypnosis seminar by NGH in Feb. However it will not cover much stage hypnosis so I'm trying to get a leg up.

Regards,
Ted
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Deeper and Deeper by Jon Chase.
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I am an avid reader as I travel on planes every week to commute to work. DVD's are good but I like things I can easily reference.

I want everyones opinion. I assumed they would vary. I'll buy them all. I love books and filling my shelfs makes me happy.

Dated doesn't = bad. It's just that is all I have at the time and wanted professional's advice on which books to take a gander at.

I appreciate the input. I have two books suggested so far.
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
I found the Jerry Valley book very useful. I think it is called The Inside Secrets of Stage Hypnosis.

James
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20370 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Personally I would look more to books about theater and performance and such. This way you do not end up with a jumbed mess of a show like many hypnotists.

Yes learn the basics of hypnosis, how and why, but do not get bogged down in the actual process so much. It is after all a "show" and needs to be thought of as a theatrical experience.

Also this should play into your way of thinking when you choose a venue in which to do the show as well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I'm a comedian but I headline a production variety show. Lots of variety and props and a partner. So I'm getting into this as a side business that might grow full time if the day comes for me and my partner to part.

I grew up in the legitimate arts. Shakespeare, Broadway musical productions. Quickly learned I didn't enjoy reciting some else's lines the way the director told me. So I did some stand up for a while. Got tired of the drunks. Went back to theater. Became bored and that is when I started my variety show career. 15 years later I'm doing great and having fun traveling to places I never thought of.

My book shelfs are lined with books on comedy, comedians and performance. I have two hypnosis books and they are both from the 50's. That doesn't make them bad, just old. I have books by Groucho and Harpo as well as Carlin on the shelf. All have relevance.

As far as making up my mind on whether I am a believer, the jury is out. I am keeping an open mind. I have a mentor come Feb. From there we'll see how I feel. Just absorbing information right now.

You can call me Ted. Rotten is just one of my companies.

Regards
Stuart Cumberland
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stuart Cumberland
Geoff Ronning puts out the most comprehensive stage hypnosis training available today. It's modern, proven and tested. He's been very successful with it, and he's got many great testimonials from students. You can also tell he's successful because almost all other hypnotist trainers have "modeled" his marketing, his ideas and his trainings. Certainly worth checking out. He did offer a really good "trial" to his site, but I'm not sure the offer is still on. A buck I think for a few weeks.

Ormond McGill's book is NOT dated. It's old. It's routines were great in their time, but the book is still excellent.

SC
Stuart Cumberland
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Ted, I don't know whether I said it to you in a private message, but, I believe McGills book is dated. It contains too much information, way too many inductions, and some plain wring information. But there is some gold dust within the covers too, if you dig deep enough. It was enough to get me through my first show.

However I recommend Eddie Burke's Secrets of Stage and Cabaret Hypnotism, available only through http://www.mreenterprises.co.uk.
As I said to you before, your background makes you a natural for stage hypnosis.

On the question of whether you believe or not, I think you are adopting the right approach. Don't make up your mind until you have a few shows under your belt.

One thing that is vital is confidence. If you can fake this, you have it made. When you do your first show, do it properly. Do a good poster, and walk on as if you own the stage. Your previous stage work gives you that right.

It would be lovely to come back to this forum in a years time and see that you are doing well at it. Tony.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20370 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-11-19 18:00, Stuart Cumberland wrote:
Geoff Ronning puts out the most comprehensive stage hypnosis training available today. It's modern, proven and tested. He's been very successful with it, and he's got many great testimonials from students. You can also tell he's successful because almost all other hypnotist trainers have "modeled" his marketing, his ideas and his trainings. Certainly worth checking out. He did offer a really good "trial" to his site, but I'm not sure the offer is still on. A buck I think for a few weeks.

Tell you what. I know Richard Nongard sells some of the Ronning stuff. That is a pretty good endorsement if you ask me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Ted, I think the real answer to your question is that there is NO "best book" on the subject.

There are many books that range from OK to excellent, but no matter how good one book is, there are other books that cover other aspects better than the other.

So the solution is not to become dependent upon one book. Rather, study several. Many books that I would consider to be good have been mentioned: McGill, Ronning, Burke, Valley, etc. They're all very good. They all have their own approach. Study them all and come up with your own approach.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Thank you guys! That is what I should have asked. For a "recommended reading list." I just figured everyone would have a different opinion on what is the BEST. And I was write to some extent.

I am getting my clinical license for many reasons. Mostly my own personal safety for licensing and insurance but also because the man that will be teaching me could also help me get work making my job easier. Getting my feet wet was my concern. But I needed more stage information than what I am currently reading as the seminar will primarily cover clinical.

So again. Thank you for sharing your views on a solid recommended reading list. Now I get to go spend some money!

Regards,
Ted
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Ted, I'm all in favor or getting trained in hypnotherapy. I think good training will help hypnotists. I've taken some hypnotherapy trainings that include information on stage work.

However, if your goal is stage work, I would respectfully suggest that you consider taking a stage training.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20370 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I hope your cryptic remark is not directed to me because I was positive in my assessment that if Richard sells it that is a good enough endorsement for me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2659 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2009-10-29 15:34, Kukushka wrote:
What you guys mean when you talk "formal training"?
Many trainer sell you one week training course and if you pass the course (if you pay money and be there) you get sertification what tells that you are hypnotist, or hypnotherapist, or you know ericsonian hypnosis and so on...

There is one problem.. There is no any kind of quality requirement what those training program should include in their programs...
When things are like this I think you should look very carefully where you but your money because every courses not be very quality stuff...
I have seen some worst 5 day training course where they just talk and talk and talk and actually they just marketing what they do and there was nothing more. Smile

It is very confusing. Doing a web search for hypnosis schools brings up a bunch of rather dodgy looking web sites. They all claim certification from all sorts of hypnotism guilds & associations (and they could be running those groups as well for all you know). How does one find a reputable hypnosis school? How does one sort out the wheat from the chaff?
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Ignore guilds and bodies - there were 98 in the UK at the last count. I imagine it is similar in the US. Some attempt to act as an umbrella for the industry - a worthy if not futile goal. The others act as a badge for people trained in a particularly style to a particular standard. As styles and standards vary so much it does not mean a lot.

Choose a course that teaches the style of hypnosis you want to master. Choose a course where there is an emphasis on practical work. Choose a course where the trainers are professionals happy to demonstrate what they teach.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Although your advice is sound Anthony, Kevin seems to asking 'who' & 'where'. I guess Ronning seems to be the natural name (along with around 5 or 6 others which can be easily found on the web) in America, but that's not the case here in the UK.
The challenge guys like you (Anthony Jacquin) have in here (The Café)is that it's an ambiguous area where you are not aloud to advertise yourself for fear of the post being deleted.
I say ambiguous because If I understand it correctly, based on what I've read in here in the past, you can say WHAT you do, but NOT where and WHEN you do it.
I guess in all fairness to the coordinaters it's a difficult one. However I believe you can PAY for an advert in The Café?
Anyway, what happens of course in reality is the seller gets a friend to write how wonderful the item is and where it's for sale or where the course is being run.
Sorry to go off in a tangent but I guess based on the above if I needed such information I'd be tempted to pm a few guys. That way no rules get broken.

bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20370 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ronning has been around for quite a while, under exactly the same name doing training in different forms. He has EXPANDED the amount of services offered. He is not "dodgy" by any account I have heard. Though I have not dealt with him personally, I know many who have and many who will post here who are happy customers. I do not think he should be lumped in with "dodgy" web pages.

I may agree with him, I may disagree with him, but he is NOT dodgy.

Richard Nongard offers a multitude of products that as well are NOT dodgy. The information is out there, you just need to be careful in your quest.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2009-11-21 02:20, Anthony Jacquin wrote:
Ignore guilds and bodies ...

Choose a course that teaches the style of hypnosis you want to master. Choose a course where there is an emphasis on practical work. Choose a course where the trainers are professionals happy to demonstrate what they teach.

Anthony

Although I can only speak from a U.S.A. perspective, I have to disagree with your first statement. Well, at least partially so.

Depending upon what you choose to do, being a member of one or more guilds or organizations, especially ones that certify, can have advantages--if you understand what they, the organizations, are.

In the U.S., a body that certifies is expected to be separate from the organization that trains. The body may recommend schools, but should not limit certification only to those who go through a school it runs. Unfortunately, there are some dubious groups that are not independent. They should be avoided. Groups such as the National Guild of Hypnotists and American Board of Hypnotherapy are independent while some others are not.

What does membership in such a group get you? Frankly, for stage hypnosis, not much. It may help you get insurance and it may help governments set laws. They may have a magazine or newsletter that gives tips. If they put on some sort of convention you may get a discount.

Where they do have value is if you are also a hypnotherapist. They often sponsor trainings. They may require training during each year in order for you to maintain your membership (on top of yearly fees). But the big thing they do, IMO, is give out certificates.

Now that sounds unimportant to stage hypnotists, but to a hypnotherapist, having lots of certificates can actually make the work you're doing easier. It's impressive to clients who will think, "Wow! If s/he has all of these certificates, s/he must be pretty good." By the time they move from your waiting room to your office, they are ready to go into trance and accept your suggestions.

Further, membership in such organization usually means paying yearly fees. This indicates that at least you're willing to put your money where it indicates that you are involved with your profession.

So I would say know what the organization is, what it can and cannot do, and consider whether it is worth your while to become a member rather than merely writing them all off.

I strongly agree with your advice on picking a training that fits your needs, especially one that focuses on practical work. I frequently tell people that books and videos can teach you ABOUT hypnosis while training teaches you the HOW of hypnosis. Books --such as yours--add to what you've learned in trainings. I would add, however, that not only should the trainer be willing to show and demonstrate what they're teaching, but IMO, they should also have you practice (with your fellow students) while s/he (and perhaps some assistants, if the class is too large) observe and give guidance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Best Hypnosis Program (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL