The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Magician's Wax for Flipper Repair..... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sniper01
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Sniper01
I have read about using rubber cement, double sided tape, and magician's wax when repairing a Flipper coin.

Anyone care to comment on using the magician's wax? I don't have any rubber cement or double sided tape available and went ahead and used a tiny bit of magician's wax.

How does the wax last, any experiences good or bad?

Appreciat any input.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3392 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I would not rely on the magician's wax for very long, unless you want to be in the middle of a routine and BEOING!!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1295 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Wax is bad in this case.
It will not hold enough to do a routine. The force exerted will cause it to spit at the wrong moment.
Where are you located that Tape is not available?
Double sided tape works just fine.
Some people also glue it.
Carpet tape works well also.
Sniper01
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Sniper01
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

I tried the wax and it seems to work just fine. I actually flipped it open and close 50 times and it seems to hold just fine,.....but,.... I fear that in time the wax may dry out and as you say, "bam" right in the middle of a presentation, ...off she goes.

It appears when originally manufactured they used something like superglue. It popped apart easy, but left behind was a very hard glue layer on the coin surface. I tried to scrape it off with a tiny pen knife blade, ..... no luck. I tried nail polish remover on a q-tip, .... no effect. I tried brake cleaner on a q-tip, .... still no effect. I even tried a little gasoline on a q-tip,.....no effect. Whatever they used, it dried hard as can be and unless I sand it off, ..... it aint' coming off.

I will get some double sided tape and give that a try. I hope with that little layer of glue, plus the tape, it won't stick up too high

Thanks again for the input guys.
Ruldar
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Ruldar
I have a video clip from Jamie on replacing the band on his flipper. It recommends double-faced tape (the 'scotch' tape kind).
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
Leave a cotton ball soaked in nail polish remover/Acetone sit for awhile on the glue, it will probably soften after awhile.
Mr. Tango
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
458 Posts

Profile of Mr. Tango
I don't recommend wax, any glue for metal can be used, to remove it just use alcohol.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5294 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I have two Tango flippers that I have attempted to repair a couple of times without success. I cleaned them by soaking them in acetone (fingernail polish remover), and then wiped/scraped all residue from all pieces. They are spotless now. However I really have to work to get both pieces back into the [ - it seems very tight. I finally get them to where I can fit both in OK but after applying the rubber band and reinserting the pieces I can't get them out again cleanly to glue it. I literally have to tap and pry the internals out!

I did leave the flippers sitting for several months before I got ambitious enough to try repairing them - but I wouldn't think that would allow the [ part to contract or shrink any.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Jim
Sniper01
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Sniper01
No advice for Jim?

Seems strange they would be so tight.
harvini2
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of harvini2
I have used super glue, and it works great, no problem with clean up
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Soak in acetone to loosen and dissolve the glue. Assemble the feke and insert with one layer of silk between it and the ] and roll it on it's edge. If that doesn't work, use two layers.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2009-10-28 15:54, Mobius303 wrote:
Wax is bad in this case.
It will not hold enough to do a routine. The force exerted will cause it to spit at the wrong moment.
Where are you located that Tape is not available?
Double sided tape works just fine.
Some people also glue it.
Carpet tape works well also.

Great stuff, thanks!
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
486 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Nix on the wax. Double stick tape is the way to to go. Trust me.
Just use an Exacto Knife to trim the edges and don't get your fingerprints on the tape and you are good to go. I have fixed tons of Flippers and Cig thru and that is the way to go.

BTW don't use super glue..it leaves ugly residue.

Just my 2 cents.

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1629 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
The strongest hold comes from double-sided carpet tape. It's really grippy, and it doesn't leave a residue when you change it.

Cheers,
Jerry
Sniper01
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Sniper01
As I said above, I put it back together with the magician's wax and it seemed to be just fine. I worked it open and closed 40 times with no problems at all, .... but,..... I can see the wax possibly drying out over time and as many of you have warned, ..... letting go right in the middle of a routine. So, ...... I removed all the wax and got some double sticky tape and used that. Even with the residue from the old glue still on the coin surface, the tape and residue didn't place the piece too high and it looks and works just fine.

Thanks for all your imput guys, I appreciate it very much.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1944 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On 2009-10-30 16:44, J-Mac wrote:
I have two Tango flippers that I have attempted to repair a couple of times without success. I cleaned them by soaking them in acetone (fingernail polish remover), and then wiped/scraped all residue from all pieces. They are spotless now.

Dropped my flipper a while back and it popped apart. Just got around to repairing it today. It had been super-glued as well, and I actually had decent success with non-acetone nail polish remover but suspect it would have been easier with acetone. I'm also now "spotless" and think I'll try tape this time. Even if it holds a little less well, I suspect it's far easier to re-do, and would likely also make band replacement easier. Last time this happened it took several attempts to get it positioned and glued right, and it was a real pain to keep removing the glue.

Quote:
On 2009-10-30 16:44, J-Mac wrote:
However I really have to work to get both pieces back into the [ - it seems very tight. I finally get them to where I can fit both in OK but after applying the rubber band and reinserting the pieces I can't get them out again cleanly to glue it. I literally have to tap and pry the internals out!

I did leave the flippers sitting for several months before I got ambitious enough to try repairing them - but I wouldn't think that would allow the [ part to contract or shrink any.

Any advice?

The following only applies if your band is NOT internal: Make sure it's seated well around the edge -- that could be what's catching.

I've also had the band gap slightly at the seam between the pieces, making a slightly larger overall diameter. Make sure that's snug.

If that's not the case, is it possible you slightly nicked or bent the [? Since it fits, but it's tight, I would try the standard silk trick for slightly loosening the [.
manreb
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of manreb
I have PM'd you
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Magician's Wax for Flipper Repair..... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL