The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » Iforce Ideas? (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..14~15~16 [Next]
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
620 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
Quote:
On 2009-10-30 04:35, Quinn wrote:

And judging by the way this thread is going, some greedy b@st@rd is going to ask this eventually, so it might as well be me: Greg, any plans for a 12-out version?

What about making one of the eight flip outs revert to the springboard? You could then use the eight springboard outs for a total of fifteen! If you add a column to the springboard, you would have an additional four outs, giving you nineteen(!) The pocket index is officially obsolete.

I have a few ideas for the Iforce:

First is the classic "37" force. Ask the spectator to think of any two digit number less than fifty with two different digits, both odd. There are only seven: 13, 15, 17, 31, 35, 37, and 39.

Second is a drawing duplication. Begin by asking the spectator to draw a simple shape. Index a circle, square, triangle, rectangle, star, parallelogram, trapezoid, and pentagon. Next, ask them to draw something simple that is NOT a shape. The vast majority of people will draw one of the following: house, car, stick figure, smiley face, boat, four legged animal,or tree. If you ask for a "warm" image, you can limit the likely possibilities even more. For the eighth out, use a universal drawing, an example of which can be found in Banacheck's "Psychological Subtleties."

Third, use to predict the results of a "which hand?" effect. Using one of various methods, you correctly determine in which hand, left or right, the spectator is holding an object. Outlaw Products' "the Relic" provides a gimmick that allows you to not only predict the hand, but also whether heads up or down. After correctly "guessing" three times, you turn over the prediction you made earlier to reveal that you correctly determined before the experiment even began the results of each trial! This uses the same setup as the "heads/tails" effect, substituting left/right. This also allows you to use one of the various psychological approaches (such as Patrick Redford's "Prevaricator" or Jerome Finley's "Thought Channel") without fear of failure since you can always end the effect successfully with an accurate prediction.

Fourth, a presentation of Peter Nardi's "Short List" effect from his DVD for the Stealth Assassin Wallet. Keep seven postcards of awful but funny travel locations and one of a beautiful and exotic location. Prepare eight numbered lists as your outs with the "good" location at each of the eight numbers sequentially and the bad locations filling in the remaining numbers. Bring out the postcards face down and tell the spectator that you would like them to help you choose your vacation destination. Say that you will write the destinations on a list on your Iphone. Place the Iphone down and ask them to select a number. Once they do, turn the post cards face up and go through them to show each of the locations. It will be clear that only one is good. Finally, turn over the Iphone to reveal they chose the only good location.

Fifth, someone already mentioned a Tic-Tac-Toe game. Jay Sankey has an effect called "Xs and OhMyGod" to which the Iforce would be excellently suited.

My favorite application is one that I don't want to post publically, but I will tip it to anyone who PM's me.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2782 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
OMG lumberjohn,

You've got enough ideas to fill up a book.

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm at an Apple store now, messing with the Apple techs, but when I get back later this afternoon, I'll PM you.

take care,
Greg Rostami
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
620 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
If you have Joshua Quinn's excellent book, "Paralies," you will see that Iforce can work exceptionally well in conjunction with "Thought Chunnel." This will allow you to demonstrate at the end of the effect that you not only know what the spectator is thinking, but that you influenced their thought process all along. Those of you with the book will know what I'm talking about. Those of you who don't should pick up the book immediately!
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2009-11-12 18:32, lumberjohn wrote:
If you have Joshua Quinn's excellent book, "Paralies," you will see that Iforce can work exceptionally well in conjunction with "Thought Chunnel." This will allow you to demonstrate at the end of the effect that you not only know what the spectator is thinking, but that you influenced their thought process all along. Those of you with the book will know what I'm talking about. Those of you who don't should pick up the book immediately!

I don't see how this could work. The # of words are pretty large in the chunneling process. How could you weedle them down to the number needed for iForce?

I also got this idea that you could do with an Al Koran deck (like a Mind power deck without gaffed cards); instead of having them just look at a card, show the whole deck as fair face up, then have them choose on by hand as normal. Do some form of out jog so you can peek, and then just flip the iPhone, and wahla!
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
2782 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hi magicFreak2,

I have a good friend that uses the Al Koran deck with iForce . . . it's a great idea, it gets a great reaction, and the reveal is the card . . . NOT the iPhone.

Greg Rostami
Agaton
View Profile
Loyal user
Manila
292 Posts

Profile of Agaton
In Manila, when we talk about coins, we have four different types: Quarter, Peso, Five pesos and Ten Pesos. If you would try to do a revised "Positive Negative" routine with this, you can have two options for each coin (heads/tails) which comes down to eight choices!

So I start with an invisible purse where the spectator would pull up any local coin. They would name it. I let them flip it and get any result. I call it the perfect Positive Negative Smile
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Someone mentioned the bowling effect... I'm just wondering how this would work. Isn't there more than 8 amounts of pins the bowler can knock down?
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
620 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
MagicFreak2, I've PM'd you with the details.

For those of you interested in drawing duplications, here's a few more points. First, you should tailor your outs to the spectator for whom your are performing. Women are going to be more likely to make drawing with faces and ones that are more rounded while men are more likely to draw impersonal objects and use more angles. You might want two presets, one for men and one for women. I've found Children more likely to draw animals.

Of course, there is no guarantee your spectator is going to draw one of your outs. But that's okay! If they don't, you just choose whichever of your outs is closest to what they drew. You could also use an idea from Greg Arce ("Six Degrees of Separation") and select an out that has some connection to what your spectator drew that you allow your spectators to make for you.

The spectators will have to admit that you got pretty close. At this point, you offer to repeat the effect. After a few repeats, they will be impressed that you are always "in the ballpark," which makes the effect seem more like real telepathy and less like a magic trick. You can explain that you are gradually "honing in" on their thoughts. This also increases the odds that one of your outs will be drawn, which makes a great ending after getting close several times.
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1329 Posts

Profile of weapon
Hi jprace, you gotta read max mavens original routine to fully understand how you can get covered for all the pins..
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
2782 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Here's a new routine that I started playing with yesterday. This was inspired by an idea from lumberjohn (thank you John, it's REALLY good).

Make sure there are 16 or less different items on a table. You demonstrate how certain words in marketing can influence decisions to buy or reject an item.

Start by writing the item for sale using "Doodle". Smile

"From ALL the items on the table I'm gonna try to sell you ONE of them, I've already written down which item it is . . . let me demonstrate how well these marketing words work."

Have the spec pick any 2 items on the table and then try to use marketing words to influence their decision to buy (keep) one of the two. Let's say they pick fork and napkin, you say "soft napkin, sharp fork" . . . no matter which one they pick, you act like that's exactly the one you were trying to "sell" to them. Remind them how THEY picked both items and THEY eliminated one.

You then pick 2 items (make sure BOTH items are NOT in your preset) and once again you try to sell them on one of the two.(It doesn't matter which one they eliminate since both items are NOT in your preset).

Alternate like this back and forth until you narrow down the decision to only 2 items, and they get to buy (keep) whichever one they want. You turn over the iPhone, and take a bow.

may the Force be with you,
Greg Rostami

P.S. I wonder if Max Maven has an iPhone with iForce on it?!
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
620 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
Greg,

That is a great variation. I would add only one thing. Once you are done with the effect as Greg describes it, offer to repeat it one more time. But this time, you will use fewer items (presets only here) and you will skip the item by item eliminations. Give a short description of each object and ask your spectator to choose the one they now find to be the most appealing. You can of course reveal that they have chosen the item you were attempting to "sell" them. This second phase will cancel out any thought they may have that the elimination process was part of the method and leave them with nothiing to hang onto.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
How about using iForce in the old saw where you quickly determine the total of the hidden sides of stacked dice?

Perform the routine in the standard manner the first 2-3 times, each time with 1 more die than the previous time (start with 2 dice, repeat with 3 dice, then repeat with 4 dice). The final time, you mention you have a good enough idea of how they tend to stack the dice that you're going to try and predict the total before they even stack the dice.

This is when you bring out your iphone/ipod touch and use "Doodle" to make your prediction (etc., etc.).

Because of the use of 4 dice at this point, and the myriad ways they could all be stacked (which you should build up in your presentation), it seems like there's no end to the totals, but if you know how the dice bit works, you'll realize you only need 6 different outs.

For those of you with Mind Blasters 2, this could also be adapted to the approach in Martin Jacobs' Sum The Spots.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
2782 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Fellow Jedi . . .

Scott, I'm not familiar with the effect that you're describing with the dice, but I'm happy that you've been able to adapt it to iForce.

John, what can I say, you are always one step ahead of me . . . As always GREAT THINKING.

Yesterday, Apple approved the new version of "Doodle".

You'll first notice that the app is now simply called "Doodle" . . . it no longer has the exclamation (!) at the end.

Next, you'll notice one of the new upcoming features in the new iForce 1.1 :

SAVE/LOAD drawings . . .

We really wanted to make the app act more like a traditional "Doodle" program that would obviously give you the ability to save/load your drawings.

If you have "Doodle" let me know what you think.
Greg Rostami

P.S. Anxiously waiting for Apple to release iForce 1.1
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 10:16, Greg Rostami wrote:
Fellow Jedi . . .

Scott, I'm not familiar with the effect that you're describing with the dice, but I'm happy that you've been able to adapt it to iForce.

Here's the basic challenge, and here's the method.

Since a die can only be one of six sides up, you only need six different outs. You could even let the spectator decide the number of dice (2, 3, 4, 5...), and have 1 set-up in iForce for each (if he chooses 3, simply touch your 3-dice set-up, if he chooses 4, touch your 4-dice set-up, and so on)!
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
2782 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Scott . . .

That is just TOO COOL . . . Once again, it allows you to have the reveal be something other then the iPhone.

Thank you so much for sharing,
Greg Rostami
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I think saving/loading drawings is a step-down.

I have had a few people think that the drawings are already saved on the ipod. When they examined it, they were able to see for themselves that there is no way to save and load drawings.

I think adding this feature puts a method in the spectator's mind, and even if it's not correct, to them it is.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
2782 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hi jprace,

I've been reading your posts a lot this past month. How many times do you perform iForce for your spectators? I ask because maybe too many performances can tip a method.

Our aim is to make "Doodle" a logical, yet simple, paint program. The most simple paint programs on the iPhone have a SAVE feature. If an app DIDN'T have a save feature then THAT is what makes it more suspicious. I guess what I'm saying is that now, I've heard both sides of this argument.

I've been performing a version of iForce for 3 months now. I don't think I have ever heard someone mention they think the drawings are saved on the ipod.

Maybe it's the way that I'm performing it, but they swear that I wrote down the prediction and just flipped over the iPhone to show it to them. When I examine my body language, I'm constantly asking myself "What would I do if this was REAL?"

Here's something interesting that I've been doing lately with my friends and family standing behind me (these are people that already know the method).

After I write down my prediction, I show it to my wife standing next to me as I say, "I'm gonna show my prediction to her".
When the spec reveals the prediction not only do I react, but my wife reacts too BEFORE I turn over the iPhone.

Once again, if you could really look into the future, you would write down a prediction, and maybe even show it to someone. When the future happens, the person that had seen your prediction would react even stronger then you.

take care,
Greg Rostami
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2051 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 10:16, Greg Rostami wrote:
Yesterday, Apple approved the new version of "Doodle".

You'll first notice that the app is now simply called "Doodle" . . . it no longer has the exclamation (!) at the end.

Excellent news. Next request/suggestion: remove the "code name" and all instances of the word "Doodle" from the iForce description. Why? Because when you search the app store for "doodle," not only does iForce still show up, but it ranks higher than the Doodle app (or at least, it did for me a few minutes ago).
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
2782 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hi Quinn,

Your request has already been done. We're just waiting for Apple to approve the new iForce 1.1 that implements all these changes. It should be any day now.

Greg Rostami
ditto
View Profile
New user
Boulder, CO
15 Posts

Profile of ditto
I got iForce last week and I absolutely love it. It's easy to use, I was using it on that same night. I totally agree with the use of 16 drawings if you use the false springboard rather than the 8 given.
Also, a preset I came up with (because a friend asked me to predict two directions instead of one) is two directions, not including corners. up+right, right+down, etc. I also made a preset that uses the four aces out of a deck of cards. Really awesome app, well worth 3$. Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » Iforce Ideas? (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL