The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » A warning to all you Halloween workers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
I don't think it relevant what your beliefs may be so long as you keep them to yourself. That is good business practise.

In the UK mentioning your religious beliefs immediately classes you as some kind of nut. People start looking sideways at you. Your business will suffer. I know a few good people who have found or re-found a religious belief and inevitably have been unable to keep it to themselves.

As a consequence their business has fallen away and we have lost some good entertainers through this. Their clients have viewed them as oddballs and consequently become uncomfortable and lost confidence in them. People who talk of religious beliefs are considered to be no longer of sound mind.

The British ex Prime Minister Tony Blair embraced the Roman Catholic faith shortly after stepping down from office. It wasn't a sudden decision but he admitted had he mentioned religion whilst PM he would have lost the elections because in the UK as he put it, any mention of religion raises serious questions about your ability and fitness to do your job. And that goes for any workplace.

Mention religion and your credibility is seriously diminished and your promotional prospects reduced.

So believe whatever you will but don't talk about it.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Quote:
On 2009-11-01 18:58, Brian Lehr wrote:
Besides wanting to change the name of the day from "Halloween" to "Black and Orange Day", teachers are being warned to forego traditional classroom Halloween celebrations because they are disrespectful of Wiccans (so much for this being a "Christian" problem) and may cause some children to feel excluded.

Wasn't it a Wiccan festival to begin with?

Quote:
They also said that many recently arrived students in their schools share absolutely none of the background cultural knowledge that is necessary to view 'trick or treating,' or the commercialization of death, as 'fun'.

A school is supposed to teach children something, so if kids lack the knowledge to enjoy Halloween, it is the school's job to teach them rather than take the fun away from everyone else. Besides, if you don't like it, you don't have to join in.

Quote:
Another reason they gave had to do with the diets people eat. They said, "For other students, ‘food products that are marketed heavily during the Halloween period’ may conflict with dietary habits that children know from home."
Again a poor reason to ban certain foods and candy for everyone. At my job we have vegetarians, but that doesn't stop us from having a BBQ. We just take their wishes into account and buy veggie "meat".
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Quote:
On 2009-11-01 18:59, Donald Dunphy wrote:

I just accept that is the way it is, and don't get worked up about someone who is more conservative than I am.

I know that I have little to no chance of persuading them to listen, or consider another point of view, if I tell them that they are wrong, or demean them in some way.
I'd agree with that if those conservative people could actually voice the reasoning behind this line of thought. To me it seems they do not grasp the difference between reality and fantasy. And there's a difference between showing something and promoting it as well...
cardone
View Profile
Special user
856 Posts

Profile of cardone
I'm with you on this one Potty ! I would call it a calling not destiny ....
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2009-11-02 07:46, MacGyverMagic wrote:
Wasn't it a Wiccan festival to begin with?

Yes, but it isn't any longer. My point was that while everyone's pointing fingers at certain members of the Christian community (not everyone) for their concerns with Halloween, no one seems to be noticing that some members of the Wiccan community (not everyone) is complaining too.

It just seems that Christianity is the bigger and easier target, so let's blast them.

Reminds me of some news I heard yesterday about two nearby public school teachers who were convicted of sexually abusing their students. When it happens in the Church, people protest, picket, and scream "bad Church, bad Church"... but such a reaction is never seen when it happens in the school system, sporting system, or any other organization.

Brian
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
As I recall the basis of this thread was found to be untrue. (the News story..not the belief or non belief.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
[quote]On 2009-11-02 11:11, Brian Lehr wrote:
"It just seems that Christianity is the bigger and easier target, so let's blast them."

....we Brits were once happy to make any religious or political group a target for humour, and would relish uncovering their eccentricities and hypocrisies. Today, the Christian Church is definitely the "safe" target in the UK, ironically.
;)
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2026 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Heh, I have to keep flogging this dead horse. Sorry.

Wicca, as a religion, may or may not be any older than 1950 or so. There is a claim from the founder Gerald Gardner that he was just repopularizing prehistoric practices, but at the same time there's no real validation of his claims.

I'm not trying to say that it is not a valid religion. I have Wiccan friends. It is just a common claim that this is an ancient pre-Christian religion and there's not any solid evidence for any of the current practices having that kind of history. Or at least no such evidence I have seen. Most Wiccans I know seem to have a very loose frame of their beliefs and sort of pick and choose what to put in the frame.

The celebration that became Halloween certainly does date to Pagan practices and is again an example of Christians "baptising" a celebration to legitimize it. We celebrate Pasque/Easter at a time that was traditionally a time to celebrate the Pagan spring festivals. Is that bad? We choose what we are celebrating and there's no reason to be afraid of the original purpose if we are comfortable with celebrating it for our own purposes now.

Anyway, I do hope it was just a hoax or some overblown nonsense. I'd like to think the Vatican can put more sense out there than this. I suspect even those who dislike the RCC would like to think the Vatican can be more sensible than to condemn Halloween.

Has anyone actually been able to use the anti-Halloween attitude from certain churches to drum up more business? I like the idea of a condemnation from a large church being used to get more tickets sold, just as I think a large church with a Halloween alternative might be a good customer if you sell it right. Anyone have actual stories from the trenches on this?

Payne- that's very interesting about you actually having it on a card! If I end up in the hospital, they'd have to either ask me or my wife (if I am no responsive) in order to know what sort of spiritual comfort to render. I suppose it is actually a good idea to carry some sort of a card to let emergency workers know. Good tip, really.

-Patrick
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Mr. Woolery,
Exactly right. I was going to mention the difference between a wiccan and pagan holiday, but you did it much more eloquently.
For those interested, I recommend "Triumph of the Moon" by Ronald Hutton/
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Bruce Meyers
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Bruce Meyers
Quote:
On 2009-10-30 17:48, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-10-30 17:38, Alan Munro wrote:
If the Pope doesn't retract the statement, people will have to conclude that he's lost his mind. The church often denies the origins of their stories and practices, which are derived from a number of religions and myths.

I think most people have already reached the conclusion that this Pope has lost his mind. He seems to be trying to dismantle Vatican 2 and return the mother church to the dark ages.

Give me that really olde time religion

Are you suggesting he's sort of like the George W. Bush of Catholicism?
Aka`aka Loko I Ka Ika A Ke Aloha
[The secrets within me are seen through Aloha]
Bruce Meyers
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Bruce Meyers
Quote:
On 2009-11-02 00:32, MrGreggy wrote:
I personally have very little interest in religion, so my thoughts on this seem to veer away from the discussion at hand.

I was thinking that a well-placed complaint to a very loud, uptight and locally well-known religious group about a Halloween show (perhaps yours) being too scary or too evil would generate a ton of publicity and sold-out shows.

Just a thought.

There you go. Book the hall and advertise the performance as a Halloween magic show. Have a partner organize a prayer protest with signs outside the hall on October 30th and, of course, invite the press.

How else can we maximize the publicity?
Aka`aka Loko I Ka Ika A Ke Aloha
[The secrets within me are seen through Aloha]
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
As a history teacher I take great pains to explain the known origins along with some popular beliefs of the various holidays and festivals as they occur to my students.

My school of close to 2000 students is very multi-cultural and their are many students from all the major religious groups.

Although personally an aethiest, I do not let my bias influence the lessons on religious holidays/festivals. I teach the religious point of view as well as the events that influenced it.

For example, we still call the Christmas break the Christmas break and I will explain to the non-Christian students what it is about from the Christian point of view as well as the pagan roots that spawned much of the rites that go with it. I will then also explain the various other religious observances that occur at that time of the year and their history.

We just finished celebrating Eid at school and had a big Eid luncheon for students and staff. For this, I explained to the students the origins of Islam, the split between the 3rd and 4th Caliphs (explaining that Islam, like many religions is not a harmonious group) and the reasoning behind Eid.

Religion is taught as a course at the school and teachers in other courses are free to examine religion in a professional manner as they deem appropriate.

I would like to say that we recognize and respect all the religions accordingly and those that practice them within our school community. We do not try to de-religion our students. We instead try to educate them about our differences so that we can understand each other and not fear or ridicule those that don't share our beliefs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » A warning to all you Halloween workers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL