The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Social compliance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2141 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Seem someone else do as tonyb

but they at least have the courage to state before their shows and on their webpage they are not hypnotizing anybody and that's all social compliance and imitation

http://www.hypnotism.co.uk/about-hypnosis.html

tonyb instead don't believe in hypnosis but I wonder if he openly tell that on his website and to his subjects
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Psidroid, you're a prick. Plain and simple. You always have been. And you're getting worse. I have no idea in reality who or what Tony B is. However you, by definition of your posts, are not fit to clean his swinging watch. Now go away and leave the hypnotists to talk together, there's a good lad. You're becoming an embarrassment to yourself.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2141 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Bobser, old dog with fleas: it takes a prick to recognize another prick

obviously then you are one of us [pricks]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You can't teach an old dog new pricks? is that the old adage?
I've asked to be banned
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
PsiDroid this has nothing to do with truth but rather the stupid 1952 hypnosis act. It is a loophole to claim there is no such thing as hypnosis. Take this quite from his webpage:

"It can be performed where trance hypnosis is banned. Many venues have regulations which prevent them putting on hypnosis shows, but there’s nothing to stop them staging Martin’s act, presenting it as psychological illusion and magic."

It is about presenting yourself as it must be to get around the stuipid nanny state and survalence state you Brits have developed.
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Richard beat me to it. Martin Taylor is getting around nonsensical British legislation. I am not based in Britain.
But if a punter genuinely asks for my views on hypnosis I will not lie to them. However I do not go out of my way to advertise my views, any more than I put out a disclaimer before my magic shows admitting its all trickery.
I don't expect my audience to share my views. I don't care - just so long as they enjoy my show. Tony.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I was talking to Martin on the phone a couple evenings ago. Strangely enough I never actually asked him what he believes. LOL. However I'm getting together with him very soon. I'll let you all Know.
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2141 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Quote:
On 2009-10-30 22:35, Nongard1 wrote:
PsiDroid this has nothing to do with truth but rather the stupid 1952 hypnosis act. It is a loophole to claim there is no such thing as hypnosis. Take this quite from his webpage:

"It can be performed where trance hypnosis is banned. Many venues have regulations which prevent them putting on hypnosis shows, but there’s nothing to stop them staging Martin’s act, presenting it as psychological illusion and magic."

It is about presenting yourself as it must be to get around the stuipid nanny state and survalence state you Brits have developed.

True. And I fully agree with you:

however some people may really believe hypnosis is ONLY social compliance [Tonyb for example is one if I have to bleieve his words]
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
.... yeah but that's ok isn't it? There are many psychologists, psychiatrists and top hypnotists who argue the case for social compliance. Opinions are like belly buttons, they're all different and we've all got them. What's the problem?
I enjoy hearing the argument for social compliance. Some of them are in fact excellent. I disagree with them but fully respect their belief and the reasons why they fall at that side of the fence.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2009-11-03 15:49, PsiDroid wrote:
however some people may really believe hypnosis is ONLY social compliance [Tonyb for example is one if I have to bleieve his words]

A lot of very good hypnotists believe that hypnosis is social compliance. A lot of good hypnotists don't believe it. But it seems that only the ****e hypnotists get hung up on it.
By the way PsyDroid, why do you feel the need to highlight ONLY? That's your hang-up, not mine. Social compliance does not make less of the subject. Its just a different way of looking at what is happening.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17588 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Let me get this straight ... there ISN'T HYPNOTISM?
This is SO CONFUSING!!!!
Hundreds of hypnotists working on stage and in hypno offices all around the world but it's not real? It would seem just as bad as telling someone that you'd talked to their dead Uncle, when you say you hypnotized them and you really didn't!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
If some one doesn't believe hypnosis exists how can they be a hypnotist? Doesn't make any sense Tony. There are NO hypnotists that believe that. They have to be something else.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I didn't say that hypnosis is not real. I said that there is no such thing as a distinct trance state, with special psychological properties. In common with a great many hypnotists I believe this. I believe that hypnosis is a psychological process, in which social compliance plays a huge part. Normal suggestivity, which has nothing to do with trance, also plays a huge part. A hypnotic trance, caused by the actions of the hypnotist, is a myth.
That's my belief. It has not hindered my show in any way. It has not hindered the shows of the many hypnotists who genuinely don't believe.
I don't believe in magic. It doesn't stop me doing a *** good magic show. Tony.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Of course trance exists that the point you seem to think trance is a mystical experience. While some people may have mystical experiences trance itself is part of the normal functioning of the mind. It not only exists we cannot exist without it.

"Normal" suggestability doesn't stick peoples hands together, get them to feel strong sensations or smell or experience complete amnesia for a two hour performance.

Are you saying they just pretend and are lying? Are you saying that's normal suggestion?

Or is it some kind of statement or being trendy to state hypnosis doesn't exist?
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
The worst thing a person can do is take away another persons belief.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Dismantling beliefs that hinder someone is the kindest thing you can do...

Anyway that's an interesting belief you have where did you pick it up?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Mindpunisher, of course trance states exist. What else is a coma? But it has nothing to do with what goes on during a stage hypnosis show. People's hands DO stick through suggestion alone. Suggestion is sufficient to produce smells. Hypnotic amnesia is very exaggerated. If you push someone hard enough they will "remember" what happened to them while they were "under".
I know it bothers you, but social compliance does explain what happens quite adequetly. Its not the only theory that fits the facts, but it is the theory I lean towards.
By the way, why is it that all these contentious threads are started by people who reject the social compliance theory? Those of us who accept social compliance are confident enough about our beliefs not to feel the need to preach at others. Just an observation. Tony.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Hypnotic amnesia was never exagerated in any shows I've done it was genuine. It doesn't bother me Tony. And as for preaching aren't you the one that goes on about scientific proof for everything. Even although its clear that you are very selective as to what scientific proof you will consider? At least I am consistent in my beliefs unlike your good self. Anyonewho would eat a smelly old sheeps head then complain that they took the brains out can be expected to say crazy stuff.

Hypnosis theory explains what happens adequately. Tell me all those that accept social compliance as THE theory do they all believe everyone sticks their hands together to get off work. Or just to make the hypnotist look good to?

And do they pretend to live by peer based scientific research only if it suits their purposes? And do they crave the good old days when brains were left in a sheeps head along with the eyes and the tongue? And you say you have moved on from the dark ages?

You make ozzy osburne look normal.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Hi Mindpunisher. I don't accept evidence that is presented out of context - such as your claim on another thread that modern medicine was the leading cause of death in America. You completely ignored the fact that the people who were using doctors were SICK TO BEGIN WITH. When you ignore the context your argument becomes meaningless.
I do believe that people stick their hands together for you. I believe the man who was stuck to a chair for a day after Derren Brown's stunt was playing along for attention. You are being very naive if you believe there is anything more to it than that.
And sheeps brains are a delicacy in the middle-east. As anyone who has eaten them will tell you, they are delicious. And sheeps heads do not stink if they are cooked correctly.
I am glad to have been able to clear up so many things for you. If you need any further information don't be afraid to ask. Tony.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17588 Posts

Profile of Slim King
OK ... So HYPNOTISM isn't REAL but the HYPNOTIST IS? (But he just can't really hypnotize anyone..... for real)
Is that it?

HELP ME UNDERSTAND!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Social compliance (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL