The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Anything special for the 1 and 2 year olds? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Hi,

I have done several parties where the birthday child is a 1 year old, yet the
parents have hired me to entertain the other children that are there.

Just wondering if you guys face this (I'm sure) and what (if any) you do for the
one year old?

In my case, I use the squeeker and sponge balls and in the show the 1 year old's
name is the the magic word...I figure its cool for the little guy/gal to here their
name being screamed by their guest...

What do you do?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
When I have been asked to do a show at a one year olds party, it is pretty much assumed the party is for every one else.

In some cultures, the first birthday is a huge event with tons of guests.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
The problem with one year olds is that they are so cute I don't know why anyone would watch me.
This afternoon I did a show at a library and a ~1yr. old came up on the "stage" twice to pick up some paper circles (from a hole punch) that was on the ground.
I like the idea of a small trick that the child can "do" (ie. it appears they mad something magic happen), that way they can be excited when everyone claps and smiles at them. Obviously this assumes they are not shy.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
I can't really think of anything - but my own little girl (19 months) does like my dog puppet!

Mark
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
I've yet to come across anything that works for that age. Their attention span is probably too small for any magic. Keeblem is probably right when he talks puppets, with a funny voice and a lot of gags, it's something the youngster might enjoy seeing.

I used to have a monkey handpuppet and he was a great hit even with the youngest of kids.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Curious. People do enquire for one year birthdays even though they are not of the cultures which traditionally celebrate the first birthday with a big family bash. But I never have people enquiring for a second year birthday.

These events are rather like Christenings - you are there to entertain the other older children and those groups are amongst the most difficult to do. Mostly they are family who are normally scattered across the country and mostly don't know one another and are very mixed ages - anything from two to twelve years. Therefore they have little in common.

Most birthdays and school shows are for children who are of similar age ranges and who do know each other.

Three years of age is the earliest at which children can really appreciate and take part and follow the proceedings. Prior to that their interest is generally as a consequence of noise, movement and colour.

But from three onwards they are fine, provided you keep things direct, simple, easy and you adjust you vocabulary to suit the audience.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I tell the parents honestly that their one year old will not get anything from my performance, and if the average age is under three they should wait a year before calling me. But from three onwards I can entertain them. By being upfront about it there can be no complaints afterwards.
I thought at one point of doing a Tellytubby show, with me dressing as a Tellytubby and dancing around. But one year olds don't respond to this either, so I dropped the idea.
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
I agree there is no way to do a magic show for a one year old. Even at three years old my routines are more entertainment than magic... lots of puppets, dancing, and acting silly. I am doing a show next week for a one year old. The birthday boy has an older sister and brother 6 and 8 years old. The mom requested the first half of the show to be for the brother and sister. I will do the misers dream, knot funny, pizza to go, coloring book, d'lites, puppets, etc. The last third of the show she wants me to do magic for the adults so I will do lasso rope trick, snake basket, wolfs chicken sword, etc. She has seen me before and told me what she wanted. I think it's all about making the mom happy and give her what she wants.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have to admit that the party request are for the one year old, never
for a two year old (I threw that in there just in case). And yes, they are
usually big events. And yes, I'm there to entertain the other younger guests.

But sometimes the mom will come up to you and say, here is Jonny... and I just
feel obligated to attempt to make Jonny smile. So I will generally act silly
and use the squeeker (as long as Jonny seems open to that) and say happy
birthday...

I will do a quick sponge routine (more for the mom) as the little ones seem to
like these things though they care less for the magic...they just want to grab
the sponge...

Thanks, any more?

themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Do your act then pose with a trick in front of the birthday child and parent so photos can be taken. I normally use a change bag and help the babe throw a silk into it, then finish off the trick with a big production..

Great fun for the rest of the family, great photo.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2009-10-31 16:10, themagiciansapprentice wrote:
Do your act then pose with a trick in front of the birthday child and parent so photos can be taken. I normally use a change bag and help the babe throw a silk into it, then finish off the trick with a big production..

Great fun for the rest of the family, great photo.

Fantastic idea....thanks...

Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
There are many silly songs you can sing, to get a 1-year old laughing. The one abut the frog comes to mind, but I don't know how to explain it here. You make lots of silly faces, and noises, wave your hands about, as you sing about how the little green frog went, on one particular day.
Once at a public show, I got a very small kid up on stage with me. I always looked for the SMALLEST child with their hand up, for "Blooming flower", a silly, simple "look-don't-see" warm-up. I asked her name..."MARY!" she hollered out. "How old are you?" I asked? She screamed into the mocrophone: "ONE!!" She then proceeded to wow the audience, when I said: "And what are you going to be when you're older?" "TWO!!!" She retorted. We then worked the flower gag. I've seen Mary many times since, and she is always guaranteed a part in my show!
:)
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Neale has it right. I got a call for a 1 yr old party and tried to talk the parents out of it. they insisted so I did the party. They were East Indians amd explained to me that the first b'day is celebrated because so many kids die in the first year of life so they make a big thing out of it and then the next big party is when the child gets married.

I did what Neale did, performed for the loder kids there and the adults. Since that one party I have had several from the East Indian community.

Paddy
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
MrGreggy
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MrGreggy
Yes, the Indian community LOVES the one year birthday parties. There are always plenty of older children there, so I love doing those parties. Cultural note... if there's a pile of shoes at the door, remove yours also.

However, if I am contacted to perform at a 1 year old party where most of the children are about that age, I send it on to somebody I know who can do that. My show is really geared towards ages 4 and up. The parents appreciate my help in finding an entertainer, because there are not that many in this area.

I do get their email address, and send them a reminder when the child turns 4.
A Birthday Magician
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of A Birthday Magician
I do get 1 year old requests from time to time and unless the majority of children are 4-7yrs, I turn the party down....actually I refer it to a girl who does cute puppetry... The is a lot to be said for turning down a party if you do not have a suitable show...puppets etc may be fine for under 3's but not a magic show...parents will respect your honesty and book you in the future
A Birthday Magician
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of A Birthday Magician
I do get 1 year old requests from time to time and unless the majority of children are 4-7yrs, I turn the party down....actually I refer it to a girl who does cute puppetry... The is a lot to be said for turning down a party if you do not have a suitable show...puppets etc may be fine for under 3's but not a magic show...parents will respect your honesty and book you in the future
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Anything special for the 1 and 2 year olds? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL