The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Auction Software Recomendation for an IBM Club? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

craig_sonis
View Profile
New user
Craig Sonis
5 Posts

Profile of craig_sonis
I'm looking to see what/if other IBM groups use for Auction Software to RUN their auctions?

I'm NOT talking about ebay (or any online) auctions. But auctions with live people in attendance.

Our Ring each year holds a statewide auction each year. For ever we have been using two individuals who sit at a table in the front - one records sales of sellers, while one record purchases of buyers (as the bids come in).

But I was wondering if any Rings out there use anything a little more modern that they could recommend?

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks
Craig

###########
PS - I a looked all over The Café to see if there was another post about this same topic. Nothing that I could find.

I also didn't see an area best to start this discussion (the only other software discussion thread was about iPhone Applications and this doesn't qualify).
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
We used Open Auction last year. It's a free download from several locations. I got it from http://www.brothersoft.com/open-auction-230587.html .

It was relatively easy to use once we played with it for a while. It tracks sellers, buyers, lots and bids. Also prints reports and receipts by buyer and seller.

We did have to adapt it a bit to our auction format. If there's something easier, I'd be happy to hear about it.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
We run a yearly auction at Ring 9 in Atlanta, GA. We came up with an Access Database. You give everyone a number, and as the auction goes on you just enter that person X sold this for however much to person Y.

At the end, it totals everything up so that if person X bought some and sold some it just tells you that he should either get money or be given money and how much. So we just collect money from some folks, write checks to other folks, and it all works out.

Our club takes 10% of auction sales, and it also tracks that and figures it in when it tells us how much to write in checks.

I ran our auction for years and have kept notes for myself on how to run the auction. You have already been running an auction so you probably don't need those, but ... if anyone wants that database program for their IBM ring, or the notes on how to run an auction, just ask. I would be happy to share it.
scottsheltonmagic
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
59 Posts

Profile of scottsheltonmagic
Ring 199 in Raleigh, NC, will be hosting our annual magic auction on Saturday, April 10, 2010. More details here:

http://www.magician.org/member/raleigh/news2
craig_sonis
View Profile
New user
Craig Sonis
5 Posts

Profile of craig_sonis
Hi All - Please don't post advertisements in this discussion. Thanks. - Craig
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Auction Software Recomendation for an IBM Club? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL