The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Native American Influence (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Keith Brown
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
91 Posts

Profile of Keith Brown
I have a new show that I am updating and it pays honor to Native Americans...at least that is my attempt.

Anyway-if you have a suggestion for a story/trick for this program, please let me know. I will be doing some limited sleight-of-hand and mostly mentalism type effects.
Thanks,
Keith
~Dr. Keith Brown
<BR>"The Master of Mystery"
<BR>www.KeithBrownMagic.com
<BR>
www.TheInvisibleMagicShop.com
puppeterry
View Profile
Regular user
Sanger, CA
114 Posts

Profile of puppeterry
In researching ways to use magic in campfire programs, I found references to animated feather routines performed by tribal shamans. A classic thread-based dancing hank routine could be done with a feather.
TV Mc Arthur
The Librician
Fresno (CA) County Public Library
"They don't get better.....just faster."
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Fetishes in Capricornian Tales.
Keith Brown
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
91 Posts

Profile of Keith Brown
You have given me something to think about.
Keith
~Dr. Keith Brown
<BR>
Stmarkus
View Profile
Regular user
Puerto Rico
131 Posts

Profile of Stmarkus
Whatever you decide on, it might be a nice idea to burn some sage before you start, then take some tobacco, as this was deemed sacred, and make an offering to the sky and the earth,(throw a little up in the air, then drop some on the ground) as you face North, East, South and West....
Just a thought...

Mark
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The story of Sacagawea may give some ideas. Use her coins.

This link may help with ideas:
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/aihmbioaz.html
Bill Thomas
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Bill Thomas
Hi Keith

- Go buy a couple arrow heads, a dark colored one and a lighter colored one, and do spellbound. You will have to get used to the feel of the arrow heads though because of their shape.

- Buy several arrow heads and do, 2 in the hand and one in the pocket.

Just a couple ideas I have played with.

I really like the dancing feather idea posted above.

Bill
Keith Brown
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
91 Posts

Profile of Keith Brown
Thanks for you continued suggestions, guys. I really want to do some new material but also must stay respectful to the Native American tradition which is one of my ancestoral lines.

The ideas put forth here have been very interesting and I do take them seriously.
Keith
~Dr. Keith Brown
<BR>
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
There is a wonderful Southern Paiute belief/legend that, if treated respectfully can carry forth for a whole act.

When a person dies (hopefully after a long and full life) a song arises in his village --and is carried from village to village along the spirit path to the sacred mountain -- in order to show the spirit of the daprted the way to the spirit world -- enabelling them to travel to all the villages of the people on the way to their new life on the sacred mountain's peak.

But, not everypone who dies has finished their work -- or fulfilled their curiosities n the earth -- so it is not unusual for Paiutes to meet, greet and talk with the spirit of the departed over the next year -- sometimes in familiar places - sometimes on a road or under a tree by a roadside. Advice, ,ideas and news can be shared.

Then, a year to the day of the departed's death -- a new song arises in his/her village -- a similar song that sung the path a year before. The song, once again passes from village to village along the sacred trail to the mountain --- but now the text is different. T our honored spirit -- we siong you along the path to happiness in case you forgot the way -- and let you now that we have enjpyed and respected your company this past year -- and your love and guidance has comforted us.

But now it is time for us to take responsibility for ourselves and live our lives to learn our own wisdom -- so we singf you a farewell and show you the way to the spirit mountain -- knowing your love for us will allow you to travel there in peace -- we will no longer see your spirit or converse with you -- because now is our time to live and your time to rest.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Chmara, this is pretty wonderful just on its own. Perhaps, during the telling, a sacred pipe lights itself, as the departed accepts his place with the ancestors on the mountain--
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
There are many oracle decks out there with a native American theme. Probably many card effects that you know can be used with these decks. I can highly recommend Rachel Pollack's Shining Tribe tarot deck.
Self concept is destiny..
Keith Brown
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
91 Posts

Profile of Keith Brown
Again, thank you. There are so many useful ideas. I am taking them all and really thinking them through. I have a program now but always wanting to make my work better, tighter, more meaningful. I want this program to reach out and grab.
Thanks again,
Keith

Posted: Nov 29, 2009 5:07pm
CHMarna,
Thanks for you great suggestion. I have re-written the script for this show completely, using your inspiration, and am now working on some of the details and the magic (which btw, is almost secondary to the script I think).

Thanks again,
Keith

Posted: Dec 16, 2009 8:41pm
I am wanting to float a feather in this program using a ITR...but the problem I am having is how to connect the feather.

Any help? You can private me if you wish to avoid public disclosure.
Thanks in advance,
Keith
~Dr. Keith Brown
<BR>
Crowslide
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Crowslide
Please don't pay tribute to "Native Americans." That is like paying tribute to "Africans" In 1998 there were 554 federally recognized tribes, which means that one point there were likely more than a thousand tribes in North America. Native culture has suffered from broad generalizations. If you seek to honnor..do your homework, learn about a specific people, spend time with them, ask for permission. I do realize that I'm assuming you are not directly connected to a Native tribe.

This comment "Whatever you decide on, it might be a nice idea to burn some sage before you start, then take some tobacco, as this was deemed sacred, and make an offering to the sky and the earth,(throw a little up in the air, then drop some on the ground) as you face North, East, South and West...."

..is indicitave of the problem. Who deemd it sacred? ALL tribes? or just them..those indians.

Not meant to be harsh.
Keith Brown
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
91 Posts

Profile of Keith Brown
Thank you for you post and no, my intention has never been to generalize,nor bring anything but respect to Native Traditions. I am a descendent of an unrecognized tribe, have spent a lot of time with Cherokees, Lumbees, and Navajos and would never try to hurt them. You are right in that there are many differences. I promise you that I will be very aware of your post and opinion as I move forward. Thanks for you input.
~Dr. Keith Brown
<BR>
Ms. Merizing
View Profile
Loyal user
Edwin Carl Erwin is digging postholes for
232 Posts

Profile of Ms. Merizing
Words to consider before using a pseudo Native American Tarot: http://www.lelandra.com/comptarot/tarotindian.htm .
Pleased to continue finding that all the world's a stage.
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Very interesting read, thanks for posting it.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
To add a reference to this thread, Ed Solomon (author of Money Matters, What Lies Behind and Tales From the Heart) has just released a new book called Grandfather Stories. Its focus is magic with a Native American flair to it. I have all of his other books and have enjoyed them very much, so I do plan on purchasing this. I will post a review once I get it and have had sufficient time to read through it.

I also agree with the comments made previously on here that when doing magic that involves any particular ethnic group, great care should be taken to ensure that you are not disrespecting the beliefs, culture, traditions and views of that ethnic group.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I see it has been two years since the original post and I wonder what Keith Brown came up with.

Crowslide, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Most people try to "honor" Native traditions, but it comes out in the form of team mascots and terrible programs for Boy Scouts or that culturally-broken Thanksgiving holiday. I am a tiny part African American, but I would never attempt to 'honor' Black people by replicating African stories in a magic show.

As a Native woman from two tribal Nations, even I have to be extremely careful what I do in my show. I can never use the sacred, such as the earlier suggestion of a Sacred Pipe, in ANY way onstage! Using a Sacred Pipe for entertainment purposes is so very disrespectful that I cannot even express it in English. We don't even mention it in any way outside of our traditional circles. When I wear my tribal regalia onstage, I walk in total respect of who my regalia represents. My stories are told in the correct season, (yes, some stories can only be told during certain times of the year.)

In a nutshell, with the misuse of sacred things you can: "Accidentally get a'hold of some 'bad juju' and it can bite you hard and follow you home every night, looming over your bed while you try to sleep." You don't want any part of that.

While a Native heritage may be a 'part' of your culture, how do you actually identify? This is a big issue for Indian people. This is not some identity that you can put on and take off like a sock for entertainment purposes. You would be best served to spend time around your OWN tribal members who identify as Indian 24/7 until you are given your own tribal stories to tell. Might take a while.

I suggest you discuss what you are going to do with your elders before you go collecting their stories. Discuss what you are planning to do with elders from other tribal nations. Ask what would and would not be 'appropriate entertainment'. There is a VERY thin line between entertainment and exploitation and it is easy to stumble across.

And we don't ever use the word 'Shaman'. It is 'Medicine Person' in most tribes. 'Shaman' was invented up by the anthropologist who was 'honoring us' by studying and recording our culture through digging up our sacred burial grounds.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Long ago, my father taught me, the hardest thing in this life--is to admit you made a mistake and say "I'm sorry".
Autum Morning Star, I posted the suggestion to use a pipe for this proposed routine.
I have apparently deeply offended you, and I appologize.
I am always learning, Bill Z.
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
A while back I saw a YouTube clip of a middle-aged, middle class white lady telling supposed Native American stories to a similarly middle class white audience. She wore a long silk dress and a head-band from which two feathers protruded. As she told her story, she walked aimlessly about the stage, periodically tapping a hand drum with a stick.

She performed under the pseudo name of a perceived Native American - I can't remember exactly what she called herself but it was totally inappropriate. I do remember being appalled at the whole concept!

The patronising performance will have been hugely offensive to any Native Americans who have seen it!

As a professional storyteller, I of course tell stories from other cultures but I tell them from the perception of an outsider. To take on the persona of a different race and culture without doing the appropriate research can be very dangerous.

Leslie.
Stories....?....That's telling!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Once upon a time... » » Native American Influence (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL