The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Psuedo-Skeptic Seance' (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
julieannjohnson
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of julieannjohnson
I have met people in the field of mentalism and CR who are atheists, agnooostics, ex-relious, avidly religious, and who have non-specific a-religious beliefs in some sort of spiritual matrix or connectivity between elements of the natural world. In other words, it is my experience that personal belief systems do not delimit the type of work a professional can do in the fields of psychic entertainment, counselling, and mentalism.

At the risk of sounding Pollyanna-ish, it is my hope that whatever our beliefs, we can agree to discuss techniques, tips, and strategies for maximizing our professional careers without descending to rude oppositional sarcasm or wasting each others' time on foolish attempts to "convert" one another to some supposed "orthodoxy" of the profession.

According to the conventional skeptical POV, I am a "believer" -- but I see nothing wrong with using CR, stacks, forces, and other professional techniques as a tool of shamanic therapy in a Spiritualist Church or private reading venue.

In fact, as far as I know, the use of secret techniques that induce belief and confidence while attempting to engage the placebo effect is traditional in most religious and social professions, and any atheist who thinks that the knowledge and use of such techniques constitutes "charlatanry" is simply unfamiliar with the true history of the world's varied religious, medical, social service, psychotherapeutic, and legal professions.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Quote:
On 2009-11-26 14:23, julieannjohnson wrote:
I have met people in the field of mentalism and CR who are atheists, agnooostics, ex-relious, avidly religious, and who have non-specific a-religious beliefs in some sort of spiritual matrix or connectivity between elements of the natural world. In other words, it is my experience that personal belief systems do not delimit the type of work a professional can do in the fields of psychic entertainment, counselling, and mentalism.

At the risk of sounding Pollyanna-ish, it is my hope that whatever our beliefs, we can agree to discuss techniques, tips, and strategies for maximizing our professional careers without descending to rude oppositional sarcasm or wasting each others' time on foolish attempts to "convert" one another to some supposed "orthodoxy" of the profession.

According to the conventional skeptical POV, I am a "believer" -- but I see nothing wrong with using CR, stacks, forces, and other professional techniques as a tool of shamanic therapy in a Spiritualist Church or private reading venue.

In fact, as far as I know, the use of secret techniques that induce belief and confidence while attempting to engage the placebo effect is traditional in most religious and social professions, and any atheist who thinks that the knowledge and use of such techniques constitutes "charlatanry" is simply unfamiliar with the true history of the world's varied religious, medical, social service, psychotherapeutic, and legal professions.

I'd like to nominate Julieann's post here as one of the best, if not THE single greatest (!) post I've ever read here at the Magic Café. You've put this topic into words I've always felt but had a hard time expressing so eloquently and perfectly. If it were up to me this post would be made a 'Sticky' at the top of the forum.

Thank you, from me...
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
julieannjohnson
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of julieannjohnson
Aw, geee... Smile
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Quote:

Huh? Did I actually read that correctly?
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5834 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Probably not Smile

What do you think you read?
backinblack
View Profile
Special user
891 Posts

Profile of backinblack
Quote:

most of what you write I agree with. I do not believe in any religious stuff but in capitalism. so it is all about the benefit of the client. 30% of peoples medical probs can be served with placebos. for some this is a pill, for some this is psi-energie, hoodoo or whatever. when client and seller are in a win-win situation: who wantz to state probz?

so my conclusion is that it is the best to inspire each other:

on the one hand using technics to inhance the believe system to achieve a high level of placebo effect for the client to befit the most he can get for his money. (technical inspiration)

on the other hand to inspire each other in a way to question each other. this has a higher need for tolerance like abe lincoln said: chritiziserz are our friendz: they show us our week pointz. (philosophical inspiration)
Stmarkus
View Profile
New user
New York City
100 Posts

Profile of Stmarkus
Quote:

Julieann.....Thank you, for you've taken my thoughts and feelings about what can be a very complex subject, and have articulated them most eloquently.....You truly have "The Gift"..... Smile

All the best, And a belated Happy Thanksgiving to All....

Mark
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Julieannjohnson: Smile
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Brane
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
272 Posts

Profile of Brane
Julieannjohnson:

I'm not fully convinced that 'me,too'ism is necessarily a useful pastime , but I really do have to agree with the positive assessments of your 26 Nov posting! So very well said!
brane
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Psuedo-Skeptic Seance' (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL