The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Cheap circuit boards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
This puzzle would apply more for electrical engineers or computer science geeks - I apologize for this:

you are a designer of cheap printed circuit boards (PCB).
those PCBs have only a single layer of connectivity - imagine wires glued on the board itself. these 'printed' wires connect the outputs or boolean gates, like OR, AND and NOT.

somebody gives you a drawing of a complex boolean function, made of tons of logic gates (AND OR and NOT), all the inputs to this function are on the left side of the PCB and the outputs are on the right side.

now, the original drawing on paper has different wires criss crossing each other like crazy. your job is to move gates around, maybe adding some or removing some, but without changing the overall function - and lay it out on the board. remember you have only one layer to work with, so crossing wires are not allowed - they will 'short' and this is not wanted.

can ANY boolean function be laid out on such a board? or is there a limitation?

N.

hoping this one will keep ThomasB and stanalger a bit busier... since the last puzzle was solved in a blink of an eye by them...
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Solved by TomasB

man, a puzzle here can't hold more than a day unsolved. maybe I should post the Goldbach conjecture next time...
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Below you can see my solution. Don't click if you want to ponder it some more.

http://hem.bredband.net/tomasblomberg/UncrossingWires.JPG

/Tomas
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
998 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Wow! (I clicked on Tomas's solution.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Cheap circuit boards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL