The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Eliminating similar themes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I am adding a biggest wands routine to my show, but it seems like the conventional wisdom would say that means eliminating use of a 7 foot straw production gag. I'm interested in a discussion on whether that is a hard and fast rule, or whether anyone has experience with similar "holy cow that's big" props in the same show. In the case of the straw, it's produced from an impossible space. Bigger wands are not in themselves magical, so there's some psychological difference. Still, I worry that I would run the risk of overusing the "wow it's big!" factor.

thoughts?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
You might go the other direction and use tiny things. This depends on the size of your audience.

On the other hand, when you know the "rules", depending on your character and venue you can chose to break them. My suggestion (based on not using either prop) is to try to use
a. the wands
b. the straw
c. the wand and the straw..

in different shows and gauge the response.

other thoughts?
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
I don't worry too much about themes. Themes are a good thing for a show. And recall is a very powerful comedic tool. However, I do try to avoid repeats of anticipated results in different tricks. For example, although I have 2 routines that, if done a la carte, would both incorporate a TT silk vanish, I only use such a vanish in one of them in my show because I feel like the second time around it's going to be anticipated and have less impact. Thoughts?
Jeff Wright
www.WrightEntertainment.biz
Voted Best Party Entertainer in Cleveland, Nickelodeon Parents' Picks Awards
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
You know that it can also be a running gag that just keeps showing up?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I like a running gag, but I only have one straw, and once produced - there it is. I could always make more from a quick trip to lowe's, but then it's too much like the wands by having so many I would think.

As for biggest wands being a running gag, I had posted about that here before and I think it could work, where each routine the helper gets a bigger wand.

Bob, could you say a little more about how either of these could work as a running gag? Or are you saying that the running gag is the huge objects showing up? One being the constantly bigger wands, one being the straw, and then have other impossibly huge objects involved? I'm using victory cubes as a stage decoration and pulling props from one, ditching to the other. They are by nature an impossibly huge representation of something that fitsin the palm of the hand.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I believe there is a site where you can get big things such as pencils.

Locally I have found things such as huge calculators.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
I don't see a problem with using the bigger wands, and the 8 foot straw in the same show. I have used both props in most of my shows this year. The only difference being that my straw is only 4 feet long. They have both recieved great reactions from the audience. I say go for it.

David
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I definitely think you are right about themes:

die box OR run rabbit run (same idea: magician doesn't see)
appearing cane OR appearing wand
zombie OR magic carpet

etc. etc.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You could try another "Bigger" routine, like Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki's "Bigger Silk Production" that he uses in connection with his "Sneaky Production Box" in The Wizards' Journal #18 (video demo on my site). The silks get bigger, but that's all they have in common with the wands; they are silks, not wands. Also, they are produced magically, unlike many of the Bigger Wand routines, where you just walk off and get another wand. You can use the Bigger Silks concept with almost any production device, but I think you'll like the way Qua-Fiki thinks! You could even team it up with Bigger Wands... you need a bigger wand to produce a bigger silk, etc.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Eliminating similar themes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL