The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Performace for feedback (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

franktrixu
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of franktrixu
I would like to say this is the slowest performance piece in my show.
I just thought some feedback might be helpful... or not!

Please checkout Frank Balzerak performing at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP-9ewBdrP0
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Put your microphone cord under your shirt and maybe stop saying "you guys" so much, otherwise a very professional and polished performance.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
The first things that hit me are:

1. You gotta stop shifting back and forth. It makes you look nervous and especially when you're doing the bill switch or any other effect in which the audience is asked to focus on a very small object, all the bobbing and weaving makes it hard to watch you.

2. Remember that the guy in the audience doesn't have a mike. If he says something, you've got to repeat it, or the only people getting the whole show are the two of you.

3. You're tossing off most of your lines as if you've done them a thousand times before. Because of this, the whole piece moves at one steady pace. Sort of monotonous and without any high points. The lines should all seem spontaneous. It's tough, but you've got to be in the moment.

Like I said, those thing stood out the most. Don't get me wrong, you are clearly well-rehearsed, confident and likeable on stage, so you're mostly there. Once you get these refinements down, come back and we'll talk about doing original material.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
I liked it. Nice clean up at end on offbeat amongst laughter.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Is bob part of the act? Smile Just kidding...

I thought it was great presentation and I can not add more than what was
already mentioned...

Thanks for sharing your video...good stuff.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I think Curtis nailed it. Cleaning up that would make that a very polished pro performance. I used to do that shifting back and forth thing until Monk Watson broke me of it. He was able to get up and mimic my movement for me and I realized how really distracting it was. Took some effort to break as it was a way of dealing with nervousness that I wasn't even aware of, but greatly improved my performance.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Listen to Curtis' suggestions and then apply them to everything you do in the show and not just this effect. Its a good bet that you have these bad habits in all thing you do. So you need to break them everywhere.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Boy, I don't know, I thought the performance was very entertaining. Professional speakers are trained to move back and forth when engaging an audience. As was mentioned the audience was to focus on the bill but I didn't see the movement as a problem. You can tell Frank has been performing for a while and his confidence shown through. He was relaxed, entertaining and the audience heard the by-play with the one gentleman and they loved it. Just my 2 cents. ----BTW Frank I really enjoyed your DVD "Magic for Humans" I use the Chocolate Coin routine all the time when appropriate.
Dave
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
prototype
View Profile
Veteran user
Rick Holcombe
320 Posts

Profile of prototype
I agree with davidpaul. I thought it was very entertaining and the patter came across as spontaneous at the same time being well rehearsed. And I knew I had recognized Frank after looking back at my DVD collection at the "World's Greatest Magic" Series on spongeballs. Great performance! And really all the critique you need is from the audience feedback which was obviously really good.
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
784 Posts

Profile of dduane
I really liked the humor! Can I use some of those lines? Smile
Actually thought it was good, nice personality, but the rocking back and forth was a little distracting.

Just a suggestion... have 'Bob' come up and and put the folded fill in his fist for the 'change' - lots of humor possibilities, and it gives a reason for folding the bill.
magicPhred
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of magicPhred
I loved the humour. I loved the handling, great job! I think that the bobbing was only distracting because the camera was zoomed in.

Your dialog was great, and I didn't detect a 'rehearsed' air. Sounded very off the cuff, and friendly.

Very nice.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
To each his own I guess.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Performace for feedback (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL