The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Crystal Casket (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Rich's design is interesting and deceptive! The four little pegs the casket sits on really add to the deceptiveness of his illusion. http://www.richhillsillusionshop.com/crystalcasket.htm

I have a CC by Bill Smith and it is lovely. Nice thin base with Queen Anne style legs. I altered the illusion and made the 'casket' break down for transportation. This, coupled with a purposeful routine makes this illusion a WORKING prop!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
illusiontech
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
210 Posts

Profile of illusiontech
Here is the one we built for Darren Romeo.....we call this model "The Romeo"....yes the top is really metal veneered & stained.

Click here to view attached image.
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
250 Posts

Profile of afun14u
WOW, that's Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1219 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
WOW!!! Illusiontech, that is one of the best I have ever seen!! Great job
illusiontech
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
210 Posts

Profile of illusiontech
Thanks so much!! I'll be posting a video of some of the illusions we have built, this weekend, it's the first illusion on there. I'll keep you posted.
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
I believe Abbott's used the Alcorn design for many years. Blackstone Jr. used that design in his show up until his death. Wellington produces a nice version. Chalet came out a very deceptive version shortly before they stopped producing large illusions.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
I believe it is one of the greatest illusions in the audiences eyes. True magic. You cover an empty box pull the cloth away and a beautiful girl appears. WOW
I believe when you and the 6 pieces of glass and straps it puts more heat on the base and it becomes a differtent illusion. Doing the Illusion boom, boom makes it look better for me.
Why it's not used more in my opinion is that most of the magians can only carry a limited amount of props and this is a big one for thirty seconds. Just my opinion.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Crispy, don't forget the Alcorn casket was more about the method/mechanics than the look/design.

B
BenjaminMan
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of BenjaminMan
I am not an illusionist, but I am interested in big illusions, and maybe working with them once I have the money.
Anyhow, I have always wondered why the magician doesn't make clear, by way of gestures/movements that people can see underneath the casket, showing that there is nothing under it and that it is off above the floor. This would also add to distract from the idea of the base, suggesting it is merely being used to keep it above the floor.
Mad Jack
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Mad Jack
When I was young.... A looooooooong time ago, lol... One of the first illusions I ever bought was a crystal casket from Gerry Frenette (magic makers). It looked great, had a nice bevelled base and was only like $1300 or something like that. I loved that prop! Don't you wish you could have back all the cool stuff you have sold over the years?
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Oh yes.

-Philip
Elton Litzner
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Elton Litzner
I too was considering attempting to build a crystal casket or "the crystal box" as the Wells plans are calling it.
I am new to illusions. I have been performing "stand up" and "Sideshow material" for sometime. I am wanting to introduce some illusions to my show. Is there anything I should know before attempting the Crystal Casket. Not only in terms of the physical building (I am having a skilled family member help me with the physical constuction) but also in terms of performance conditions. My venues can vary quite a bit and rarely do I get to work in a proper theater. So are there lighting/angel considerations I should be aware of? I wouldn't think it would be too problematic, but I'm a novice with illusions. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Mad Jack
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Mad Jack
Elton,

If you are just getting into illusions, I would really recommend a "function" illusion first instead of a crystal casket. A function illusion is (by my definition)an effect where the girl enters the prop, something happens and she exits at the end. For example: A sword basket, Mini-Kub Zag, Zig-Zag, etc. I would strongly suggest that anyone wanting to add just one illusion to an already existing show not get one where "pre-loading" is required, especially when working in "real world" conditions.

Just my random thoughts,

Mad Jack
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5689 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-04-01 00:29, Mad Jack wrote:
Elton,

If you are just getting into illusions, I would really recommend a "function" illusion first instead of a crystal casket. A function illusion is (by my definition)an effect where the girl enters the prop, something happens and she exits at the end. For example: A sword basket, Mini-Kub Zag, Zig-Zag, etc. I would strongly suggest that anyone wanting to add just one illusion to an already existing show not get one where "pre-loading" is required, especially when working in "real world" conditions.

Just my random thoughts,

Mad Jack

I agree. Good advice.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Elton Litzner
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Elton Litzner
I understand what you mean "real world conditions" I bring a pipe and drape set up, so I can have a modest "backstage area" I work with a partner who performs some of her own acts as well. during the opening it would be nice to do an appearance. I was thinking of a shadow box type effect, but I not so great for outdoor/daytime performances. So I thought a Crystal casket might be a better alternative. We're closing the show with a sub trunk.
Elton Litzner
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Elton Litzner
I was thinking of in the future adding a sword box illusion in the middle of the show.but these things take time and I'm on a shoe string budget. If I cant build it myself I probably cant afford to put it in the show.
Elton Litzner
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Elton Litzner
Yeah I'm basically wanting either some type of appearance for myself or to walk out and then produce my partner. but because of venues considerations I'm looking for something that can be done under most conditions. I like Andrew Mayne's specter cabinet, but the B.A. may be problematic in half of my venues where I can't control lighting.

Any suggestions are welcome. That's why I'm here is to try and learn.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7346 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Elton,
Greeting to Jessica, Alan and yourself.

The Crystal Casket is a good appearance illusion provided you have a means to get her loaded into it. One problem with the casket is does have a relatively large footprint. So if you are going to spin it onstage, it does take some room and should be a pretty good stage. If it is a hotel riser staging, it can be uneven and could damage the legs. Also you have to be very careful with the plexiglass from getting scratched.

A dollhouse or Temple of Benares has a smaller footprint for turning onstage. Again you need a place to load her into but it has smaller footprint.

I would stay away from Black Art because of the reasons you mentioned.

A simple production can be done with a Bryce's Screen. It is pretty easy to load someone quickly into to produce. You could decorate the framework that it could really look unique.

I will have to dig around a bit and think on this. What are you planning to transport this in..van, panel truck?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
CMMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
Myrtle Beach , S.C.
145 Posts

Profile of CMMAGIC
Heres a video clip of Brett Daniels helping me on stage in Myrtle Beach make an up and coming pop singer appear before a concert 2 years ago. My crystal casket is pretty well made and quite deceptive , I love performing it - This is not normal quickness and the girl is not my assistant and only had about 10 mins with her to practice backstage prior to her concert. There was a small clip of this shown on VHI during SPRING BREAK 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28p0377Xj-0
- Carl Michael - www.CarlMichaelMagic.com
Frequent performer at top night clubs such as Mansion Miami , PURE Las Vegas , Marquee Vegas , and Veranda NYC . 2012 and 2013 Reader's Choice Magician of the Year. Currently headlining in my own stage show in Myrtle Beach . Follow on twitter , Instagram and ViNe @CMMAGIC
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxW7enjbHcg

Here is my Gaughan "Crystal Casket" being used by Lucille Ball, it is a nice clean copy so I think you will appreciate the deceptiveness of John's work. It's at 1:40. The clip starts with the Asrah (which was probably built by Lee Edwards), and the assistants are Lee Edwards, and his brother Steve, they supplied all the illusions for this HBO special (which became part of the show I purchased).

B

(P.S. It's amazing how much magic you can do by just clapping! LOL)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Crystal Casket (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL