The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Crystal Casket (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
The gauhan madelis very deceptive . I rememeber there was one for sale on the magic auction sometime ago very expensive .but worth the price I don t thik that you could match the deceptivness if I were you I would go for gauhan or contact b smith also look for a photo of the latest chalete modele the seperation between the glass box and the base was so deceptive it will help you develope the image in your mind.
AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
I'm a bit amazed that you really don't see many crystal boxes performed these days. It's such a great trick... does exactly what an audience expects a magician to do!

I own one of the Magic Show crystal boxes where the 6 pieces of plexi are inserted into the frame. I really like what "building the box" adds to the presentation. A lot of people skip using the bottom piece of plexi, but I think that makes it even more deceptive. I've had the prop for 20 years and it is in excellent shape, but alas it's time to part with it

I hope this thread inspires people to start performing again.
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
I use my casket whenEVER possible!
AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
I have the Owen model, built for The Magic Show. I think it's a great looking prop. Well built and very deceptive. Audience members comment on the trick and often share how they think it was done. I can honestly say that I have never had anybody even guess about the base.

I have my Crystal Casket listed for sale (on this site) and I've had a couple people inquire about it. Both have commented that the Gaughan version is more deceptive. I just laugh.

John Gaughan is a true artist and his version IS more deceptive, which is great if you're performing for other magicians or illusion builders, but makes very little difference to a real audience.

If you can afford a Gaughan prop, by all means get it. However I'm always a bit amazed at how often magicians are focused on the wrong things. This is a really strong illusion and with either version of the prop, the only thing the audience will perceive is the performance. I'm just sorry to see people pass up on such a great (and inexpensive) illusion when I know how strong it can be.

Click here to view attached image.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Hey Chris,

See the photo that Chris S. put up or mine if the photo comes up from the link below.

http://blairmarshall.ca/pb/wp_2971c908/i......0599.JPG

It actually does not do the prop justice. It is a HIGH buffed, to a mirror finish, box, legs and trim. What looks grainy in the photo is actually the reflection of the surroundings in the room. This is the same unit that was once performed by Lucille Ball (I Love Lucy) on a magic special.

Blair
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
VERY NICE BLAIR!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Thank-you, it's nice owning a prop with some history, I have the video of Lucy performing it. (I also have the Asrah that she did preceding it for the girl vanish!)

Blair

P.S. For the builders, this is one from the time period that John was using molded fiberglass, not sure if he uses it at all now. Only things that break down are the legs.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Oh yes, it can also be built up with the 6 pieces of plexi. There is a nice mirrored stand to hold the pieces before assembley.

I believe, if memory serves, Orson Welles did a nice presentation while his assistants assembled the box. It may have been on on of Jackie Gleason Show, or duing an appearnace on the Dean Martin Show

Blair
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Hmmmmmm......I don't want to mislead here. I believe it was an Alcorn style Crystal Casket with the straps, similar to a Princess of Thebes illusion in workings, that Orson performed. If working strictly stage this is an excellent style base to use, the principle is also used in my Crystal Cube from an idea in the Woodbury books (built by Outebridge). Photo here....

http://blairmarshall.ca/pb/wp_2971c908/i......a242.jpg

The box is very small, and it can actually be left around after the production of the girl, as the "place of concealment" is no longer there and there is nothing to see!!! LOL

Blair
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
Hi all,

The John Gaughan Crystal Casket is by far the best in this matter, because in my opinion very decptive.

Falconer
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Blair,

I have an Alcorn that you are referring to. It is 38 years old and looks like it's 38 shows old at most! You are correct in that it is great for stage and it still amazes lay audiences to this day. I will try and post pics of it.

Christian
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Would love to see an actual photo of one, I have only the Alcorn ad photos of it, and a photo layout in The New Tops which showed it in performance (their photos were never great). I love the concept, and it has even been used in several "new" (???) illusions.

Blair
magicelam
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
368 Posts

Profile of magicelam
Blair,

Other than size, are the crystal casket and the crystal box the same illusion?

Or different?
Mike
TheAmazingLuke
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingLuke
Who is Alcorn?
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Alcorn was a builder back in the 60's and early 70's. His Black Beauty Sub Trunk and his Sword Box with Spanish sabers were beautiful (at least in the photos that I saw.) Hull Bros. Magic sold the props and they were pictured on their flyers. I think an occasional Genii ad also showed them also. When I think of the prices.......!!! $200.00 for this, $300 for that. I also have a modified Alcorn Broom Suspension with an extended leg support and the release down on the leg, in addition to my Gossamer unit.

The Crystal Box I have is about 30" square and really a deceptive idea, mine was built and used previously by Ted Outerbridge (Canadian touring illusionist) with a few design modifications suggested by me. It is similar to many of Steinmeyers' effect where the place of concealment actually is not there after the person is produced. It can be left at the side of a dance floor with no worry about the "secret" being discovered. I love it! Other than producing the person, they are VERY different illusions (equipment and method).

Blair
magicelam
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
368 Posts

Profile of magicelam
Wow, 30 x 30 is tiny... Do you have a video of you performing this?
Mike
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

I do not have any on-line, another thing to note is the base (after production) is only about 5" thick all around, and it is flat top and bottom.

B
magicelam
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
368 Posts

Profile of magicelam
I notice in the pic you appear to be holding the cover in your hand... Is the production method similar to a fire cage?
Mike
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3639 Posts

Not entirely, as the entire unit is MUCH smaller.

B

(P.S. There is a hint in my previous post.)
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
In my humble opinion the Crystal Casket built by Rich Hill is second to none. Without revealing too much, Rich makes the base itself a non-issue -- just something to set the casket on so it can be wheeled on and off stage -- which adds immeasurably to the overall deceptiveness.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Crystal Casket (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL