The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnotism or Hypnotherapy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brett Sirrell Magician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Brett Sirrell Magician
I have started looking into the subject of hypnotism, possibly as something to enhance my magic and an extra skill.
I am looking for the best place to learn and learn this properly. I know a couple of people in the field so I will ask them stuff as well.

However I came across this course at our local college, its like a one day intro course which is refunded if you take up the other courses. Its £40 (other courses are about £500 for a term.)
However the course is talking about "Hypnotherapy."
As someone who knows very little, (sorry if its falling into the FAQ newbie domain) is this course going to help or will it be a waste of money and time.

The course description:

Mind Wide Open is our one day, foundation/introductory course in Hypnotherapy, Coaching and NLP. Participants will experience
going into hypnosis themselves as well as learning how to take someone else safely and easily in and out of hypnosis. You will also
learn an NLP model for rapid change as well as some Life Coaching skills. The day is a highly practical and fun way to learn and an
ideal (low cost) taster if you are considering the other courses.

http://www.centralengland.org/
Brett Sirrell Magician and entertainer
www.brettsirrell.co.uk
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Get the manchurian approach dvd by anthony jacquin if you want to mix hypnosis with magic, quality introduction but look to get training as well
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The one day introduction will do you no harm at all. But the longer, more expensive, course is not the way to go. Stage hypnosis is completely different from hypnotherapy. Beyond knowing a little of the theory of what you do, there is no reason to go down that road unless you want to do therapy in conjunction with your performances.
If your main interest is performance, then there are several good resources now available on stage hypnosis, and these are where you should be spending your money.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I should imagine that this is much of a nothingness (by how it reads) and these days are normally cost free in fact. I believe you'd get as much (probably more) initial information from the internet.
Anyway welcome aboard Brett.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Well, believe it or not, I am in almost total agreement with Tony. As a GENERAL rule, the more training and study, the better the skill (depending, of course, on the ability to manifest the skill). What Tony didn't say (although I imagine he wouldn't disagree), it that not only will the 1-day intro "do you no harm," it may also help you to determine if this is a path you want to follow.

The one thing that concerns me about the specific one-day course is that you're only going to get a bit--and a tiny bit--of hypnotherapy, coaching, and NLP. There's no way to teach all of those things--or even one of them--in just one day. For example, my GUESS (I don't know because I haven't taken that specific course) is that you'll only learn progressive relaxation as a method of hypnotic induction. If that's the case DON'T FEEL DISAPPOINTED! Please know that there are other, more speedy and more exciting (for an audience to watch) ways to hypnotize.

I would add that I have seen a number of amazingly low-priced one day or three-day ("weekend wonder") classes. While limited, they are complete in themselves. However, they are often come-ons for longer and more expensive classes. Therefore, beside paying attention to the material, also pay attention to the trainer. If you're turned on by his or her presentation, would you want to spend a week studying with him or her? If I'm correct in this, also make sure that the trainer IS the one who would be teaching the longer class. I've seen some trainings where the long class is taught by a different person, one who is far less skilled than the person who presented the come-on class.
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
533 Posts

Profile of RSD
Quote:
On 2009-11-06 12:50, Brett Sirrell Magician wrote:
I know a couple of people in the field so I will ask them stuff as well.

You can get the best info you need from these people. Offer to volunteer your time to work for them. Be their A/V tech, stagehand, FOH...etc. Whatever you can. Go on the road with them if you can. The time you spend with them at their shows will be 1000 times a greater investment than any class or course you can possible take.
Brett Sirrell Magician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Brett Sirrell Magician
Thanks this all sounds great info and help.
I think I will follow all this advice, I will also have a look at either manchurian approach or Reality is plastic. Not sure which or maybe both yet.

Ta

Brett
Brett Sirrell Magician and entertainer
www.brettsirrell.co.uk
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Get both, go direct to ant, top bloke
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
tiriri
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
247 Posts

Profile of tiriri
I did start with a practitioner NLP and clinic hypnosis certification little more than a year ago, but as a magician I wanted to get into stage hypnosis and there were not any courses in my area. So it took me like eight months to adapt what I learnt in the clinic hypnosis course to the stage. In the end it was good for me, especially the NLP hypnotic language part I got at those courses.

My other sources, in order to develop stage hypnosis including the exciting methods dmkraig described above, were books, videos, the Internet and obviously this forum.

Best regards,

Giovanni.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Is hypnotism a word? I have read it in books. I have heard it said. I used it in a sentence and was told it's not a real word. That there is hypnosis and hypnotists but not hypnotism. True or False?
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
It's a word.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
If you can read it say and understand it is a word.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
MP, I'm going to assume that Rotten is not a native English speaker. In some languages, there are official correct words. English doesn't have such rules.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
That's just my personal rule. But I see whar you mean.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Yes, like singing, having, being etc there are no 'ingings' in Latin.
There never used to be in the English language either. For example in Skakespearian Engling you wouldn't say "Where are you going?" You'd say "Where go you?" or "Where goest thou?"
So you can understand someone having a chllenge with isms.
Well done you craig for being so understanding. You can be quite... 'cuddly' at times can't you? Or: can you not?
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I am an American married to an English bird. So we talk about words and differences in our languages even though they are both english.

The argument my friend made was that there is magic and magicians but not magicism or magicianism. Illusions, illusionists but not illusionistism.

I am just starting my education into Hypnosis so I am new to this. Thanks for informing me it is a word. I have a pet peeve of words being used correctly. Like iregardless.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Ok chavie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnotism or Hypnotherapy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL