The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Review of Doc Dixon lecture (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dave1216
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Dave1216
I had the pleasure of watching Doc Dixon lecture the other night at the Marc DeSouza theater in Wayne PA.

When I got home, I had to take 2 Advil because my cheeks and sides hurt from laughing so hard. To say that this was one of the most enjoyable, entertaining and informative lectures I have seen in quite some time would be an under-statement.

Doc taught routines from his 2 new sets of lecture notes (Monkeyshines 1 and 2) that covered material using a variety of props from cards to coins to McDonald's bags.

As opposed to discussing all of the effects Doc explained, I will touch on a couple of my favorites.

First, the Dixon drop is a great utility move that is pretty much invisible. Imagine displaying a small packet of cards in your hand, showing the bottom card to be a 7 of hearts, and by the time the packet hits the table-top, that card is now an Ace.

Double Duty is a nice routine for the stand-up worker that uses the "Dual Reality" principle in a very unique way.

His "Psychic Sense" routine is perfect for the strolling worker. It takes up very little pocket space and can play very small or very big.

And throughout Doc's lecture, he (subtly) dropped some of the funniest one-liners and comedy bits that I have ever heard. This is a guy who takes comedy very seriously and I loved his (too brief in my opinion) talk about interjecting comedy into magic routines. Hopefully, I can get Doc to come on "Time to be Awesome" so that he can share some of those thoughts with everyone at once.

I cannot recommend his lecture enough. If you have an opportunity to see Doc lecture or book him for your own club, do not hesitate.

David Corsaro
My new DVD ("The magic of David Corsaro") is now available from your favorite dealer. Watch the DVD that Daryl, Jon Allen, Shawn Farquhar, Boris Wild, Marc DeSouza, Asi Wind and Paul Green ALL ENDORSE.

Visit www.timetobeawesome.com to watch the new weekly Video Blog for magicians, "Time to be awesome."
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2016 Posts

Profile of puggo
Doc seems a funny guy. It would be great to see a UK lecture.
Charlie
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
David,

Thanks for the kind words. It was great meeting you. I had a fun time at Marc's, just like I did lecturing at Denny Haney's shop the night before. After an incredibly busy September and October performing for the "real people" it was a welcome change of pace and a pleasure to speak before groups of magicians.

Hope to do this again in the spring. Any clubs or shops reading this that are interested (even in the UK, Puggo) drop me a line via http://www.dixonmagic.com

Best,

DD
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
I agree. I wish the lecture/ laugh fest was longer.
Frank
Marc DeSouza
View Profile
V.I.P.
Wayne, PA
160 Posts

Profile of Marc DeSouza
It was a real pleasure to host Doc last week. If you thought the lecture was funny, you should have been to dinner with him, my son Eric, Joey The See and me.

The lecture was a wonderful mix of real world routines for close-up and stand-up workers, really cool techniques and general hysterics. One of the most fun evenings I've attended in a while. I recommend his lecture to everyone.

Marc DeSouza
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
584 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Yeah, I taught him everything he knows...(except the magic and the humor).

Simply put, if Doc makes room in his schedule to do some lectures, book him...or, if someone around you books him, go to see him...just don't miss him. A splendid time is guaranteed for all.

Keep the change,
Rick
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Guys, your kind words are embarrassing me ...

Doc "I love to be embarrassed" Dixon
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
David,

I've taken to heart your encouragement to yak a little more about magic and comedy. These brief, but hopefully helpful, thoughts will be in my next magician newsletter, due out next Monday. (BTW, it's free)

If you'd like to receive it but aren't a subscriber, you can sign up here: http://www.dixonmagic.com/page1/page1.php

If you're already a subscriber, no need to sign up again.

Best,

Doc Dixon
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
David,
I entirely agree with your comments, having had the great pleasure of seeing Doc's lecture at the Denny & Lee Studio in Baltimore. Doc's ideas for the Weller/Nielsen prop are eye-opening.
Doc also offered one of the best lecture-bargain packages I have ever seen for the notes and materials he brought with him.
A great time was had by all!
I actually stopped at Walgreen's on my way home, after midnight, to pick up Pringles...
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1125 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Docc has a great deal on his lecture stuff this week...

http://www.dixonmagic.com/page9/page9.html
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
375 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
Ahh...

Most people don't know this, but Doc went by the name of "Sidney the Sleightest" before he met me. An expert in miniature card manipulations. Then, I taught Doc how to drink. Professionally! He was so successful that he retired from that occupation and took up the ancient art of controlled bordello chanting.

But the damage to my reputation was done. There are even people (see above) who add another "C" to his name. And that keeps the public blaming me for things like pummeling a woman in the face with a deck of Bikes. A crime that was committed while I was in another state.

So if you have the opportunity to see Doc lecture (on MAGIC) you should run at that chance. I can give you examples of three clever tricks of his I use regularly. And a couple of his magic effects as well.

Remember Doc...

Join me on the Docc Side, and we will rule the universe... together!

Cheers
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
607 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
All of you Doc's must stick together...
Doc Archer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Review of Doc Dixon lecture (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL