The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Do It Again! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
I do a lot of "Perverse Magic" where things just happen by themselves or I don't understand why what happens, happens.

So with this type of presentation when asked to do it again, it's easy to say "Are you kidding? I don't understand how it happened the first time!"
JCheng
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of JCheng
I just tell them that I can't do it again, or just show them another trick
nlokers
View Profile
Regular user
Grand Rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of nlokers
If I know I'm about to do something that I don't want to repeat I make it very clear that they need to pay attention because I will not repeat it, I also find that this helps them appreciate it more.
eywi
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of eywi
I have rarely been asked to do it again but if I were I would just move on to something else
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
"Twice a night? - I'm getting too old for that!" (Obviously not for kids!).

Mike
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ok, next Tuesday.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Decades ago I overheard a magician say, "Again? Ah, if only I could. But like yesterday's incredible sunset it will never be repeated. What I want is a new and better one, Let me demonstrate ..."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
"That wasn't even possible the first time I did it."
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Good answer, writeall! I say something like "I don't do the magic... the magic does me, and it never repeats!" I like yours better...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-08-26 17:05, nlokers wrote:
If I know I'm about to do something...I make it very clear that they need to pay attention because I will not repeat it...

Bingo! That's exactly what I say. When someone asks me to "do a trick", I hesitate, and then say, "OK, but, first? Do not ask me how it's done. And do not ask me to do it again. OK?" I'm grinning the whole time, so no rudeness. When they agree to those terms, I'll do something.

Doug
Mark Jarvis
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Mark Jarvis
How bout....I can't. The gentlemen that showed me this trick asked me to promise that I would never show anyone twice....
Mark Jarvis
The Magic Of Magic
Solon, Ohio
The Magic Is In Your Hands
http://www.themagicofmagic.com
briancharles1002
View Profile
New user
SC
51 Posts

Profile of briancharles1002
Look at what it is that gets the "do it again". Is there a particular effect that draws this response, if so, look at it and see how you can change it up presentation and/or method and then you can do it a second time. There are some things I do with coins that can be changed up and done four or five times in variation and add in some feints and you're good. I still am careful in not pushing it. The best way is to just manage the audience.
Blayk P
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Blayk P
I usually say "Ok", then just do something completely different. 9 times out of 10, they won't even notice you didn't repeat their trick.
Suren
View Profile
Veteran user
Armenia
314 Posts

Profile of Suren
David Stone had a great answer to this (yes Im big fan of him) he says: Magic trick is like a joke - it works only ones.
charliewerner
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of charliewerner
When they say do it again ,you say sure "glad you like my magic" and you just perform other effects .... and if they say, no, that one just now... you say " it is free for the first time, and you need to pay for the second time...

As long they pay you price of the trick, of cos you don't reject them. Save up the money buy a more expensive trick.
"Seeing Joy, Sadness, Anger,Contempt,Surprise, Disgust,Fear on people faces are the motivation of my MAGIC" Charlie Werner (C.C.L)
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I seldom have spectators asking me to repeat an effect because nearly all of the effects I perform have a phase that progressively repeats at least three times. Examples include the chop cup, color changing knives, color changing silks, color vision, copper silver brass, multiplying balls, rubber bands, sponge balls, etc. I suggest seeking and performing material with multiple phases and climaxes. You can always jazz it up and change methods on them too. I enjoy using real world spectators to test everything that I have practiced relentlessly. Its like target practice to me Smile As a magical entertainer you have to be flexible enough to accomodate your clients in my professional opinion. I once spent an hour at a party performing nothing but the chop cup and color vision for different groups at my client's request which made them very happy and satisfied customers Smile
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Do it again?
leads me to think of impromptu magic ...

You will not do better than visit Scam School on Revision3.
http://revision3.com/scamschool/episodes

Brian Brushwood is a creative thinker and genuius ... bringing this site together ... and sharing his findings ...

My favourite being the Scissors, Paper, Stone ...
absolutely fantastic.

Wulfiesmith
vinh31
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of vinh31
"I am like any guy... I need at least 5 minuets to reload..."
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
I got asked this today - my answer (found somewhere in the Café)

"The magic was free, lessons are $125.00 an hour."

Then I smiled and did something else.
Magic Rik

Life itself is magic - I just want to help a bit!

https://www.facebook.com/Magic.by.Rik
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island
408 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
I usually say " I wish I could, but then I wouldn't be able to show you this...", and go into something different.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Do It Again! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL