The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Donkey vent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rcav8r
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of rcav8r
Hi all, first post here.
I'm thinking of making a donkey vent figure, pro-type with mouth, eyes, eyebrows, and maybe moving ears (big maybe).

I'm trying to visualize though, where to put the mouth. Should I put it at the underside of the muzzle end like in real life, or make a "trapdoor" jaw under muzzle like a cartoon donkey? I also thought about making it at the neck/muzzle intersection, but I thought that would look too weird.

Thoughts?
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Seems to me it could come a third of the way up in the front of the muzzle, couldn't it?
Then maybe the hinge point is at a place where a bridle of sorts goes around the muzzle, hiding the crack.

Hm. I prolly oughta go draw it and look at it before I offer advice. Smile
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
Mark Wade works with a horse puppet, check his website out. It may help inspire you.
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
rcav8r
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of rcav8r
Thanks for the tip on MW. I checked out one of his videos with the horse. It appears to be a soft puppet operated with hand in mouth? Hard to tell for sure.

It did give me some thoughs about appearences. For a donkey, I'm visualizing short hair (except for mane), so hiding the mouth joint may or may not work, depending on the fabric I use-I'm planning to have a shell underneath the skin.

MW's horse does have the mouth in the anatomically correct position, although it opens further back than a real one. It kinda appeals to me.

I think I'm going to have to make a mockup or 2 of the muzzle and mouth types to visualize it better. I did a couple quick side view sketches of different mouth setups, and the one similar to MW's horse is better looking.

Does anyone have any fabric recommendations? I went to the fabric store, and checked out some felt, synthetic wool, and some kind of upeholestry (sp) velvet type material that has a very fine mesh backing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Donkey vent (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL