The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Two Houdini Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
1. If you had to tell someone about Houdini without saying anything about his magic or escapes, what would you tell them?

2. Other than Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Martin Beck, who were some of Houdini's friends and acquaintances?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
1. First person to fly an airplane in Australia. Spoke out against fraudulant spirit mediums. Died on Halloween 1926 at age 52 due to blood poisoning resulting from a ruptured appendix.

2. Harry Kellar
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Did Houdini just not have many "friends"?

I have never been much of a Houdini "fan", but recently I have been reading several books about him, and I noticed a strange lack of information on people he associated with. I have another couple of books to read, and maybe they will have more information.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
He was president of the S.A.M. You can't do that without one or two friends. Here's a link to a photo taken in 1923 showing Harry and Bess and a few of their magician friends.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/p......newest=1
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22007 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If I remember correctly, wasn't he president of the 1st Society of Magicians? You should really be reading magic magazines. Books are not a good source for name dropping unless the author feels the reader should be somewhat familiar with the name.

In old magazines you can only pick up a mention here and there but it will answer your question of who knew him. Remember, back then no television, maybe no radio, just newspaper and he was working all the time to promote his shows. It would do well to read old vaudville books of the time.

I guess you should tell us what you mean by 'friends'. He had his agent, his crew, his craftsman, his wives. I remember someplace he hung out with Leipzig in the back of a magic shop sharing tricks. I think that may have been in the book. I am just going by what I remember reading in different sources. It is very well known that he had a big upset with other performer at the time over tricks being performed. Was it Jarrett?
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I believe he was also friends with Thurston, and that Houdini, Thurston and Doyle originally had a pact as to contact with the others after death.

Houdini's brother, Theodore Hardeen, was himself a gifted magician and quite popular.

Many people don't know that Houdini's wife, Bess, was very sick just before the historic punching incident, and that Houdini broke his ankle a few days before and was in great pain. It is said he was very weary from several sleepless nights and the rigorous schedule before he was punched.
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Houdini was friends with Will Robinson, who worked as Chung Ling Soo. Even helped him with the needle trick in a bailout demonstration when he was challenged by Ching Ling Foo.

Turned out Foo didn't show and Soo didn't have to use the needle trick, but Houdini was there for him. They corresponded some as well.
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
1, He made bad movies.

2, I think he had lots of friends but only couple were famous.

Here is a good article about Houdini.

http://www.prairieghosts.com/hollywood6.html
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
He was friends with Charlie Chaplin if I'm not mistaken.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22007 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Houdini was the greatest promotion and publicity person in the world, who after centuries they still call out his name and know who he was. People used his name as a referance like, "Are you Houdini?", or "Your pulled an Houdini?"

Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Wmhegbli --- what did you mean about "wives"?
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22007 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thought I read that he had re-married during his life.

Gee, you must have the same Doug Henning Poster I have with that quote on it. I really like that poster, I had mine professionally framed.

Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
Joseph Dunninger was his long time friend. Even they were rivals in different field they became friends after one incident. The incident was: Houdini was invited to a police station to escape from a jail. He visited the station and said no. Later Dunninger was invited and he did. Houdini was angry about this. Houdini because of this did not talk to Dunninger. Once they were in the same time in a magic shop and Houdini went out without a word. Dunninger went after him and told him he is not interested about escape show. Houdini made him to promise he'll never do again. Both of them were interested in psychics subject either.

His brother Hardeen came up with the straightjacket escape.

Best,

Las
PCoreyB
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of PCoreyB
I read that Houdini gave Buster Keaton the nickname Buster.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
He was quite close with William Robinson. In fact, when Robinson died while performing the bullet catch, Houdini contemplated taking up the effect. It was Kellar who convinced Houdini that it was too dangerous to perform.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Two Houdini Questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL