The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I Think I'm Learning Where "Knuckle Buster" Comes From (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

base851
View Profile
New user
Houston, TX
58 Posts

Profile of base851
Lately I've been practicing a lot of new techniques for several hours each day, and I'm starting to notice my knuckles having a tendency to "lock up"... hyperextend actually. Once they start locking up, like with a cramp, its hard to get them to stop. My right-hand pinky & middle finger have been the worst.

Is this sort of thing normal? Are there any exercises to help alleviate the problem?
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Plenty of water is the first step.
Next is minerals, potassium & calcium specifically. If you get them in your diet it is better. Almonds, cashews, mushrooms, milk, greens, bananas, and on and on.
Stretching will benefit us. Clench & open, relax, repeat & repeat no need to rinse.
Stretch the arms & torso & legs. It's all connected & affected.
Vary your practice so that different muscles are used at different times.
This will also help with muscle memory, something you want.
Give yourself rest periods when practicing periodically.
"Shake em out" during rest periods. No not that hard you will dislocate something!
Most people benefit from the water alone. Start there and see how you do. Lay off the caffeine too. It dries you out. Keep up the good work with practice.
You know why don't act naive.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Good advice, HerbLarry.

I'm married to a D.C., and that's exactly what she would have said.

(Man, I miss soft drinks!) Smile
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
Clearly, I have not been practicing nearly as much as I should have . . .
I'm a Magician playing the part of an Actor
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Herb great post. Base take care of your knuckles, I'm recently getting over my 5th (pinky) of my right hand being broken, the PT is VERY painful. It sucks BIGTIME! Of course doing normal sleights won't actually BREAK your knuckle, but you still want to keep them in the best shape that you can!
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
DWRackley,

No need to miss soft drinks! At least not with Splenda as the sweetener (it tastes pretty darn good compared to aspartame). Diet Rite brand soda comes to mind. None of the drinks offered by that brand have caffeine in them and the only sweetener they use is Splenda. Water is definitely better, but if you're "Jonesing" for a soda, there's plenty you can drink.

Even if you can tolerate a bit of sugar (as a life-long diabetic I can't), most name brand sodas use HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup), which is considered a major health risk by all the Euro nations and not allowed in anything there that needs sugar. I wonder why our wonderful USA keeps making and using the HFCS cr@p by the millions of gallons? Archer Daniels Midland and their lobbyists is why. Do you remember "New Coke"? That was the introduction of the USA to HFSC use instead of cane sugar. It was all a ruse to make us comfortable with HFSC and make gazzilions of $$$ in profits for ADM. When the flavor flopped, they returned "Classic" Coke to the market with it's new ingredient, HFCS. It was all smoke and mirrors. ADM should have swept the FISM awards for that!

You don't deny yourself the pleasure of an occasional soda, just choose it wisely.

dsalley13

PS: Oh yeah, "Knuckle Busting" is the topic:

I play keyboards (Hammond organ) for at least 2 hours a day. That makes it a lot easier for me to practice coin sleights. If you play any musical instrument, do it more, it really does help condition your hands.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Dsalley,

About once a week, usually at a restaurant, I'll allow myself a Coke. (Used to drink a 2 liter a day!) I've read some controversial things about Splenda, but I always keep a bottle of liquid Stevia on hand. I'm not diabetic, but have gotten some warning signals from the doc, so the diet is changing somewhat.

I also play keyboard at church and you’re right. It helps a lot with dexterity.

Oh yeah, Knuckle Busting…I used to pop my knuckles, almost as bad as breaking boards Karate style (which I’ve also done). A magician should take exceptional care of his hands, like any fine tool (which, for us, they are!)
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Sherman_Wong
View Profile
New user
Singapore
16 Posts

Profile of Sherman_Wong
I learnt this exercise from one of my seniors many years ago whilst training with cards. Clench your fists hard. Then open them in a quick motion and stretch all your fingers and thumbs as far as you can. You can definitely feel the strain, which is good.
It's something like body-building, but for your hands. It really does strengthen your hands and makes them more flexible.
Singapore's Best Magic Shop
http://www.magiccastle.com.sg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I Think I'm Learning Where "Knuckle Buster" Comes From (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL