The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need wisdom and advice to get where I want my magic to be (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I need to refine my goals in performing magic, and the steps to get there.

I started out years back doing birthday parties. Not that I’m an expert - I think I did maybe six. Enough to realize that I do NOT want to be the “ultimate party magician”! I can do parties, and I’ll probably wind up doing some, but that’s not my goal.

I think want to do small stage shows in a whole-family setting. I envision something like a small club or restaurant type setting - families or groups at tables and me on stage. Maybe lights, maybe not - I can go without the whole curtains and lights setting.

I don’t mind performing for kids, but I don’t like an audience of just kids. Adults generally provide a more structured setting, and I do much better there than in the free-energy environment of a gang of poorly-supervised kids. That’s not just a lack of experience, although I know that’s in the mix - I simply do not like a disorganized event.

When my son was in junior high, the school did a dinner and play as a fund-raiser. I think that’s the setting I have in mind. Or we have a large “winter visitor” contingent, due to our mild AZ winters, and most of the winter resident venues have entertainment centers - I can see putting on a show there for the visitors and their grandkids. A classroom message show might be good, too - a more controlled setting than a birthday party, and a more consistent age grouping.

To get to my ultimate goal, I need to find places where I can perform with no risk to either myself or the venue. That is, I’m not worried that a bad showing here as I work stuff out will ruin my reputation, and the venue is worried about paying for bad magic because the performer wasn’t quite what was expected. Then again, I honestly don’t think there is another performing magician in my area, so I get to set the standard. That could be a good thing - but it’s also scary!

I can get friends together, and they would probably let me video the show with their kids so I can review it. The local library might let me do something there on odd weekends, although I run into the “no parents, wide age range” problem. Maybe a local school can use something every other week for an after-school program treat.

I’m hoping by this time next year to be worth getting paid. But it won’t happen by just thinking about it. So I’m casting about for advice on refining my goals and structuring my road to getting there.

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!
Ed
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Ed-

Interesting problem, that. I have been struggling with some of the same, although it sounds like I have been doing a lot more shows. Still, I need to do more to get better.

I have been looking for a "venue" if you will that would allow me to perform my magic. In a perfect world, that venue would provide (1) I can do it on more or less my schedule and as often or seldom as I wish, (2) I have control of the physical venue, so I can set up my "stage" etc. to fit my needs, (3) some non-relative adults and kids for whom to perform.

So, I am talking with a coupld of quiet restaurants to organize a space for a stage, lights, etc. The concept being, easy quiet entertainment that I can control (not walk-around).

I have worked out an arrangement with a local art dealer to allow me to "busk" out front on the weekends, for fun and profit.

I am also talking with a large flea market (indoor) which would allow me to have a booth, set up a stage, etc.. My plan here is to actually "pitch" some magic stuff for sale, but also do other stuff to draw (hopefully) a crowd. Am getting my strippper, Svengali and a couple of my own things ready to sell.

This probably is a little too crazy for what you are thinking, but for me it represents an opportunity to do as much, or as little, magic as I want, to ordinary specs, and maybe even make some money in the process!

Anyway, something to think about...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Being the Magician for all occasions is how I started out.

Creating a niche makes sense to me.

It is ok to say no to gigs that aren't right for me.(or you, or you or you)

During the summer, libraries are a good portion of my work, along with elementary school media centers.

Harris
also not an expert
deutsch
http://magician.org/member/doctoroflaughology
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
We do have a "flea market", but they are set up in tents outdoors. Completely under cover, but still subject to temperatures and winds. I might check it out and see what I can come up with.

I know during the summers, some schools here open up the Caféterias for parents and kids to come eat lunch. I might be able to work something there.

Maybe after Christmas a store would be interested in giving up a bit of space to someone who can help them sell their leftover magic stock? Hmmm...

Ed
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
I found a great gig. Its volunteer so I can use it to try out new material and it is weekly. In my area there is a parent group that meets every weet at a church. There are lots of activities for the kids, sometimes musician and games, etc. I arrive for about 2 hours every friday night and do magic for the kids and parents. I would suggest looking for something similar in your area, maybe schools might have ideas. Its pretty great. Because it is volunteer there is no stress to be amazing, it just comes naturally! Plus I get practice and exposure. You can see pictures on my website http://www.burkegiordano.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
As an old booking agency owner, nothing helps getting in front of the real prospects like focusing on what you are making available. Remember that most entertainment is paid for by someone else. Solve the talent buyer's problem and you're hired!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Great advice from Bob.

Creating acts that suits the buyer's interest is more important than developing it because we like performing those tricks.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On 2009-11-10 23:58, JamesTong wrote:
Great advice from Bob.

Creating acts that suits the buyer's interest is more important than developing it because we like performing those tricks.

At the moment, I'm just trying to develop my ability to perform and create an act from what I have. I'm hoping by this time next year to be worth getting paid for this.

Ed
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Ed, I would suggest that you develop a few themes based on what you have and can do. That way the patter (storyline), presentation or music would support the theme. The themes can be based on ... the type of people you would be presenting to (e.g sophisticated crowd), venue (church, hospital, etc), or storyline.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need wisdom and advice to get where I want my magic to be (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL