The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Looking for a wand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jmdibrita
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of jmdibrita
Hi,

I know Barry Mitchell has Can-O-Wands, does any know of a wand with spring snakes in it instead of a can?

Thanks

John
magicone
View Profile
Veteran user
Doylestown, PA
352 Posts

Profile of magicone
Derek Rutt has several types but look at his WOW WAND

http://www.derekrutt.com/wow_wand.htm

Here are his others:
http://www.derekrutt.com/comedy_wands.htm
jmdibrita
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of jmdibrita
Thanks, will check it out!
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
The Wow wand is incredible. Been using it for about five years. Can't say enough good things about it....

:)

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7445 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
David Ginn used to sell a Jumbo Surprise Wand with 5 spring snakes in it.

Also, there are mini versions available, but I don't think through him. I also have a mini version, which I picked up at a magic auction at one time. It has 3 smaller spring snakes in it. That one also has a screw-off lid.

There was also a version by Supreme, I think, that matched their popaway and squeek wands. It had a divider in it, and either end could be pulled off to have snakes jump out (you could do it twice, because of it having the divider in the middle). That is a wand that I don't have, but I've seen it, back in the 1990s.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
jmdibrita
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of jmdibrita
Thanks Don,

The wand David Ginn sold is more along the lines of what I am looking for. If anyone knows where to purchase one please forward a link. I have done a search and have come up empyt.

John
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore, MD
639 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
I made my wand from a mailing tube. Just add paint, load it and you're good to go!

Wes Holly
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Baltimore, MD, USA
jmdibrita
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of jmdibrita
Wes Thanks, I was thinking about making it myself. If you don't mind. Where did you get the snakes and how many do you use.

John
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore, MD
639 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
I was at Kidabra one year and David Ginn was selling his cloth covered snakes. I use 5 of them. I don't think he sells them anymore. I glanced at his site but I didn't see them.

I also have silk snakes from the jelly bean cans , but they are too big around to fit in the tube I have. So it's a good idea to buy the snakes first and then find a tube you can use.

OR ... does anyone know what type of springs are used? If you're crafty you can make your own.

Wes Holly
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Baltimore, MD, USA
jmdibrita
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of jmdibrita
Thanks again Wes, derekrutt.com sells snakes.
jmdibrita
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of jmdibrita
Another question Wes. Do you use the white caps that come with the mailing tube. If so, any issue with them not staying on due to the pressure?
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore, MD
639 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Those snakes look good. Yes, I use the white caps. Your results may vary - mine stay on if I don't bump it. Sometimes I would get to the show and find that they came off in the case. I have thought about finding a substance that would help keep the friction, but I seldom use it now so I haven't given it much thought. If it becomes an issue, just use one fewer snake.

Wes Holly
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Baltimore, MD, USA
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
The caps on David Ginn's wand screwed on. It was like a jar lid and he painted the sides of the tube to look like the rest of the white tips. If you build one yourself, the pressure from the snakes will pop a friction lid.
If you put a divider in the tube you can compress less snakes in and they will all come out.
I have some short 12 inch snakes that will fit in a popaway wand but they will need a divider to work properly.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I own the David Ginn Jumbo Surprise Wand with 5 spring snakes in it. If you have any questions about the wand I will try to answer them. Any pvc pipe should work with the right end on it.
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2947 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
The David Ginn Jumbo Surprise Wand sounds interesting. Thank you for posting your comment.
Northern California
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
You cab buy the snakes from David Ginn - you get two in a tin for $5 plus postage
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
I bought the standard plastic covered snakes and lost the plastic. My seamstress sewed up some bright, colorful open-ended tubes, and I just dropped the springs in and whip stitched the ends. Been using them for close to two decades now.

I stuffed newspaper balls into half the mailing tube to fill space. Next I load in three snakes and slip a pin made from a section of coathanger across the tube to hold the three snakes in place. The pin is looped at one end so that it is easy to grab later. Then I add three more snakes. If you catch a little bit of the cloth as you put on the cap, the extra material will provide the necessary friction keep the cap in place. Never had anybody ask about the scrap of material or the quarter inch pieces of black pin sticking out the sides. The tube is wrapped in black and white plastic tape for the wand look.

I can pull off the cap and release the first three, gather them up, express shock, and pull out the pin releasing the second three; in the mayhem, I just drop the pin into the tube and re-cap.

Watch out for cold weather as the plastic cap will cause just enough shrinkage to cause premature release; quite exciting at 65mph on the beltway.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Looking for a wand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.48 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL