The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Ideomotor Signalling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott M
View Profile
Special user
Apex, NC
524 Posts

Profile of Scott M
Reading through RIP and noticed this by a resource from Ernst Rossi and did a search here in the Café and nothing showed up...went to Google and found this to be an interesting phenomon, but how do any of you guys use this. Looks like it is mostly used in pendulum work or with fingers responding in some way with the unconscious.

Can one be influenced in some way by our body movements unconsciously thru this...is this what this is about?

What is your experience with this?

-Scott M
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Its a well-known response which had many uses in therapy, and some in entertainment. The old Victorian seance stunt of moving tables, repeated in more modern times by David Berglas and Derren Brown, is an example.
Scott M
View Profile
Special user
Apex, NC
524 Posts

Profile of Scott M
Is this basically a different word for Ideomotor response of which I am familiear with?

Not really sure how it is used in a therapy setting.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
I use ti in pretty much every therapy session I do. Essentially you elciit the unconscious response and ask questions or, as I do, hook the response into various techniques. For example if using a parts reframe at each stage of the process ask for a response.

You should spell Ernst 'Ernest'. He has tons of papers online and two very well known books.

Ideomotor signals are a great springboard for other phenomena making them useful for building the hypnotic experience.

Sometimes the unconscious response is called unconscious signalling.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I remember watching a scottish buddhist monk on TV many years ago. he was explaining how much passion he had for his religeon and how he led a simple life. Sleeping on hard boards and eating certain plain foods. His words were saying how much he embraced this style of living yet his head was signalling no. He was literally shaking his head from side to side contradicting what he was saying.

When I started out in therapy I used Ideomotor signals. However as my experience grew and I had more training I discovered its not really necessary. And that it is much more easy and effective to ask the client to ask his unconscious mind direct questions and wait for an answer.

99.9% of the time their unconscious mind will just tell them what they need to know without the need for ideomotor signalling which is a much less sophisticated way to work with the unconscious.

Many years ago I attended a workshop run by Rossie on healing. He was a strange guy. Wilfred Proudfoot who I also trained with and who organised the weekend once told me that he took him out for dinner. Rossie was impatient with the service complaining it was too slow. So he got up walked into the kitchen and helped himself to what was in the fridge. A bit eccentric. But his stuff was good.

6 Part reframing was dropped from NLP many yeas ago as the process actually created more parts which led to incongruincy. Which is the source of inner conflict. The most common or effective aim is to integrate and realign parts. The theory being that we were born "whole" and parts were created through significant emotional events which go on to run behaviour independantly and usually unkown by the "other parts". By healing the past and integrating the parts we move towards becoming whole again.
Scott M
View Profile
Special user
Apex, NC
524 Posts

Profile of Scott M
Guys...thanks for your experience and input.

I was in the used book store yesterday and low and behold a used copy of Mind-Body Therapy by Ernest Rossi for $4.95. Whoa...what a read! I got much from the use of the pendulum in the beginning. I have to say the book is a very interesting read, and I believe I can keep up with the content, of which much is over my head, but through multiple readings I understand a lot of it or at least am fascinated with it, and it is makeing me realize that there is much to learn in hypnosis.

Anthony, Tony & MP...thanks for sharing part of your learning experiences, I wish we could hear more of these stories from you and others, it makes me realize how much all of you know in here and can offer to this forum.

-Scott M.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Ideomotor Signalling (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL