The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Six Card Repeat (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
birdt8608
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of birdt8608
There is clearly tons of great info here, but I'm still confused... I feel like this is a classic that I should really have in my card conjuring arsenal, but I still don't know were to look to find a basic "I saw a guy do this trick... so I went to the magic shop" version of this effect. Do I dare ask for even more help?
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
A nice description of The Six Card Repeat appears beginning on page 229 of "Roy Benson by Starlight".

It's explained there that the effect was invented by Tommy Tucker and published in 1933. The writeup in the Benson book compares the Benson method with Senator Crandell's routine.

I saw Crandall do this many years ago at a Magician's Guild lecture and I worked out a Perverse Magic routine around these thoughts that I have used for many years.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I discuss the plot with references in "Small But Deadly" and more later/recent versions in the sequel "Still Small, Still Deadly".

Climaxes include poker hands (Elmsley, Osterlind, Krause) color changing backs (Stewart James) and simply good punch lines.

Variations for the close up table include routines by Marlo, McBride, Paul Gordon etc.

Stevens Greater Magic Library have a DVD with several versions on which may prove useful to someone thinking of working on the routine.

Paul.
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
Quote:
On 2009-11-15 14:41, paisa23 wrote:
Is this similar to the Routine that Wayne Dobson did in his show? And also I forgot who does this but its a close up version with for cards. where at the end the remaining card IS a four.

Michael Close has a version you described. The last card left is a four.

Your avatar is scary. People are afraid of you.
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
Quote:
On 2010-03-15 13:26, Double J wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-11-15 14:41, paisa23 wrote:
Is this similar to the Routine that Wayne Dobson did in his show? And also I forgot who does this but its a close up version with for cards. where at the end the remaining card IS a four.

Michael Close has a version you described. The last card left is a four.

Your avatar is scary. People are afraid of you.

Sorry, it's a 4 card repeat... But people are still afraid of you.
birdt8608
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of birdt8608
Thanks for the help. I think I might try to check out the Great Magic Vol. 35 DVD. I like Michael Finney a lot and I think his version of the trick was the first one I ever saw.

...but what about something as simple as:
http://www.magic.org/store/product_info.php?products_id=1267

?
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
The routine that ends with a four is Dan Garrett's Four Card Reiteration, and it is very good, but does require that you are proficient with sleight of hand.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
Quote:
On 2010-03-16 17:04, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
The routine that ends with a four is Dan Garrett's Four Card Reiteration, and it is very good, but does require that you are proficient with sleight of hand.

Is that the version that Michael Close uses? I always thought it was his own.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I believe Mike does a variation of Garrett's.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Pat Page had a variation combining cards to pocket with the repeat. Fred Kaps featured it in his layman act.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Wayne Dobson has a very funny version which is a 5 card repeat. It's in his 'Special Effects' release.
Einmaliger
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
199 Posts

Profile of Einmaliger
Does Paul Harris' Eleven Card Trick from AoA 1 count?
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Lawrence makes a very interesting point about the effect being very popular without ever taking off. I think his assessment is correct in that the final pay off, despite the efforts of many a creative mind, is nearly always very weak and so a punchy climax eludes the effect.

Another thing about the 6-4 card repeat is that the very thing that makes it interesting can also make it extraordinarily dull. That is, the repeating nature of the effect. The mystery and the potential hook of the effect so often plunges it into terminal boredom.

Wayne Dobson came up with the most simple solution to this problem. In fact it's such a simple and obvious solution that the creative genius of his routine was that he spotted the glaringly obvious thing that had passed by others (including me) for years. So often this is the case. Those who follow can easily dismiss such contributions as trivial and, indeed, obvious. But to my mind teasing out what was there waiting to be found and discovered is a talent to be admired.

His solution to the punch line problem is equally as elegant and is an approach that I have used in other effects that don't have a natural end. Don't fight it. Recognise that the effect doesn't have an end and sell that as the ending the effect... i.e. you present the ending as if you could go on and on and on and on....

So my advice for the 6 card repeat...check out Wayne's version.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Anyone ever check out Max Krause's A Poker Story from Innovative Deceptions?
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
TAJ
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of TAJ
Randy Wakeman has a nice routine here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q_21bQTXUI

Taj
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
Montgomery Village, Maryland
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
There are one or two in The Card Magic of Nick Trost, but they are fairly sparse...no serious suggestion of presentation, mostly just the mechanics (which is the wont of this book actually). It is a much easier handling than most of the false counts though.
Visit my blog: ScienceIsMagic.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2010-03-18 15:02, Pete Biro wrote:
Pat Page had a variation combining cards to pocket with the repeat. Fred Kaps featured it in his layman act.

Hello Pete
Do you have any idea of where Pat dealt with this combination (which I think is a grand idea because it is so simple and natural)?
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Pete don't bother searching I think that I found it: there is a six card repeat on p 66 of his Big Book Of Magic (c)1976 with the illustrations of the late Eric Mason (a great magician in his own name) and Lybrary.com is selling this masterpiece for a ridiculous $15

If this wasn't the one, I would call on you again but thanks for mentioning this
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Hi Guys-

Im a a regular worker of this effect-not every show mind you and I admit I use the standard routine script with a couple of changes and finish with a fast 12 card count into the hat-
I then do a Diminishing cards as an extra finale & it plays really well for a lay audience............
cinful823
View Profile
New user
England, UK
76 Posts

Profile of cinful823
I like TIM Ellis's version too. Very entertaining and fun.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Six Card Repeat (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL