The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Amazing and easy tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
darkcless1
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of darkcless1
Hello everyone! I just signed up here and what an amazing forum! I recently got hooked on this hobby, browsed a bit and bought some easy tricks on penguin magic and ellusionist, many are very easy to learn with amazing effects like the Oz pearlman card tricks and bought too some beginners dvds to learn the fundamentals but because of work I have little time to practice... But I always been an showoff guy and I love the reactions people have when I pull some tricks xD So, Can anybody here recommend me great tricks but easy to learn? angleproof, and instant reset? I considered buying Yigal Mesika Electric touch, is worth it? seems nice
Thanks!
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
A piece of advice from someone who's been there. Quit buying tricks and learn some of the fundamentals first. One must learn to crawl before one can walk...then run!

Two great tricks for card magic are Out of This World (OOTW) and Do As I Do, neither of which requires any special gimmicks to learn, just a book or DVD with these effects on them and a little time to learn them.

Two great books for learning some of the fundamentals would be Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and Joshua Jay's Magic: The Complete Course.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
313 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
What will you do with the Electric touch?

My humble opinion is that it will only be any good as an addition to an effect that suits the gimmick.

Just giving people electric shocks will not really be that entertaining for long and will probably only leave people with the impression that you have some sort of electric shock device.

Using it to enhance an illusion where you are reading their thoughts or transmitting yours will be killer but you need the actual backbone of an effect to back up the gimmick.
jake.o
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of jake.o
If you like the the reactions from the seemingly selfworking tricks imagine the reactions of the effects that use a bit of slight of hand and require a bit of practice.

I reconmend that instead at looking at the dvds that only taech one trick or the expensive props which are useless on their own, you look into buying somebooks that will teacfh you the basics of magic and benifit you more in the long run. if you like card magic I would recommend you buy the royal road to card magic, its quite cheap and a good book to begin with. if you have got more money to spend then instead buy the card college series of books which are more up to date than the royal road.

you may be worried that its a lot of work learning magic but once you have learnt the basics you will have endless possibilitys of what you can do with a deck of cards.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Good routines and great acts are not easy. It takes lots of work.
Sherman_Wong
View Profile
New user
Singapore
16 Posts

Profile of Sherman_Wong
The electric touch is more like a utility that enhances your on-going routine. It's not exactly a trick on its own. And it won't be easy coming up with a whole routine just by using the electric touch.

Like most of the more expereinced seniors say, good tricks require a good amount
of practise.

If you want angle proof, instant reset and powerful reactions, there are tons of gimmicks out there.

But at the end of the day, they are just gimmicks. Most of them will not last your whole lifetime. Worst is that you won't be able to perform magic if the gimmicks are not with you.

If you really put in effort to practise skills, they will forever be in your memory.

Remember, knowledge is power. Good luck!
Singapore's Best Magic Shop
http://www.magiccastle.com.sg
ldrosenblum
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
103 Posts

Profile of ldrosenblum
As a newbie myself, I strongly recommend that the next thing you buy is Mark Wilson's Complete Course in magic:
http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Wilsons-Compl......7&sr=1-1

Or a similar book.

I promise that it will change your magical life.
Check out my new book on our 'perceptual superpowers': www.LawrenceRosenblum.com . It discusses new research on the psychology of misdirection and the neuroplasticity behind expert motor skills.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
That is a good recommendation and I second that.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I fully understand the desire to perform now and learn later. If you do that, you become simply a guy with tricks, just like anyone esle who went to the store - just another show-off.

But if you want to become a magician, at some point you're going to have to stop and learn. So why not now? The trick is actually such a small part of the magic; presentation is everything, and does not come in the box!

I recommend the Klutz Book of Magic - it looks like a kid's book (and it is written and marketed as such), but it puts props in your hands and teaches you how to use them. Magic for Dummies is actually a pretty good book, too, for tips on simple magic with basic props.

Take a look at the free videos on SankeyMagic.com - ~not~ so you can learn a whole slew of new stuff, but so you can listen to Jay teach the subtleties of performing a routine - the "why" of doing certain things, and not just "how".

That's what will take you from another guy with a boring trick to a magician.

Ed
James Crosbie
View Profile
New user
London
33 Posts

Profile of James Crosbie
Hey Dark,

I have to completely agree with everyone else. It really isn't hard to find self-workers - buying them from shops, or [dare I say it] watching them on Youtube videos. But anyone can do this.

The real art and fun of 'entertaining' in magic comes from so much more than just the trick. Whether one has practiced the skilled tricks for days/weeks/months, or picked up a packet effect, both will only be performed as well as the performer's ability to entertain.

Being relatively new to magic myself, I appreciate the impatience of just wanting to learn quick effect after quick effect. I agree that a couple of self-workers are very useful, in order for you to instead concentrate on developing your persona and building confidence - but do not rely on these. Keep practicing and the rewards will be far greater, as my novice self is slowly realising.

Good luck with it!
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Save your money - electric touch is something that once you really get into magic, will sit in a drawer.

It is a very expensive prop.

Take that money and invest in books. If you are starting out, there are several resources you should focus on before anything else:

Get the Tarbell series. If that is all you every bought, you could make a career out of the magic within them.

Another book, more modern is Maximum Entertainment - it will teach you how to take tricks you learn and really perform them - rather than simply "do them".

Others may disagree with me, but I think you should stay away from the new fad flashy sites like ellusionist. While they have a few decent items, most are junk that are filmed to appeal to kids and they lack real performance value.

Think about this - all the guys making it today... where did THEY learn? They read Tarbell, Corinda, Slydini, Wilson, Vernon, Bobo, and more.

Notice I said READ.... use DVDs to suppliment - but make your core resources BOOKS. Books feed your creative mind where DVDs are "watch and repeat"
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
dabah2014
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
157 Posts

Profile of dabah2014
Welcome to the Café Darkcless1! I would reccomend you buy Mark Wilson's Complete course in magic and J.B.Bobo's Modern coin magic. These really helped me out. Michael Rubenstein's three dvd set Encylopedia of Coin magic was also a big help to me.
Matthew
coolini
View Profile
Regular user
australia
175 Posts

Profile of coolini
I remember the first trick that I learned was professor's nightmare, start with the thing that you like most...
if you like coins, start with bobo's book if you like reading, or the encyclopedia if you like to watch DVDs
if you like cards, mark wilson is great
if you like sponge balls, patrick page secret seminars is great
Paul.W
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of Paul.W
ART OF ASTONISHMENT BOOK SERIES

Paul.W
From Israel
Danik1
View Profile
Regular user
Saint-Eustache, Canada
185 Posts

Profile of Danik1
Even if I agree with everyone that anwsered you, I'll cut you some slack and give you great effects that you would be able to perform during your Christmas vacations if you practice them just a little. In no particular order:

1. Trilogy
2. Kaleidoscope Deck
3. Phil's Trick (Goldstein)
4. Free Will
5. Prophety Pack (Regal)
6. Invisible Deck
7. Mirage Deck
8. Presto Printo (Daryl)

There you go. Hope you enjoy them!
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Pick up the Mark Wilson book and learn the sponge ball routine in there. With practice with sponge balls, its the most amazing magic you can do because it happens in the specatator's hands. Another good DVD to learn them is the sponge ball toolkit with Steve Darci, it comes with props too. The ball through pocket is a very visual/melt through the pocket and I have only seen it in Wilson's book.

Also, another good effect I recommend that is easy to do:
Xtreme Burn By Richard Sanders
AnthonyJD
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island , N.Y.
338 Posts

Profile of AnthonyJD
Hi I too agree with every one else. If you want some great effects that are really easy but will entertain and are reasonable ,try Bob Solari magic .com. His customer service is second to none. He answers email and can offer advice on all of his effects. I recently purchased a ton of his stuff and I cant say enough about them. He makes it easy to perform great effects ,with quality props. Good Luck, Anthony
coolini
View Profile
Regular user
australia
175 Posts

Profile of coolini
Quote:
On 2009-11-15 00:30, darkcless1 wrote:
But I always been an showoff guy and I love the reactions people have when I pull some tricks xD So, Can anybody here recommend me great tricks but easy to learn? angleproof, and instant reset? I considered buying Yigal Mesika Electric touch, is worth it? seems nice
Thanks!

just a friendly reminder darkcless1, don't use magic to showoff and be a showoff guy, the purpose of magic is to entertain and not to offend others...
othelo68
View Profile
Regular user
North dakota
174 Posts

Profile of othelo68
I agree with everyone on the forum as well. learn the basics there a ton to learn and it books are worth more bang for the buck then tricks from penguin. get bobos modern coin magic, tons of stuff in there. However I also agree with danik ! so while your learning to do the real cool stuff get some spongeballs, a Svengali deck, an stripper or invisible deck and some similar small cheap props look for things that are old standbys that have been around for ever or even something newer like card college lighter (haven't read it personally but its suppose to be mostly self workers). there fun to play with easy to do and will let you work on presentation without having to worry about tons of sleights and psychology. beware though, spouses and co-workers only stand so many tricks before you become annoying so pick the ones you show them carefully and practice as much as possible.
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1399 Posts

Profile of edshern
Maybe this guy just loves magic and performing like he said.
And maybe this guy doesn't want to spend hours or weeks and months to learn some magic.
Let's give him a break.
Magic has lot's of opportunity for him as he wants to be, and later if he wants to learn more.
So Dark, I suggest you look into the Tenyo area of this Café. They make exactly the kind of tricks your looking for. Tenyo has over 200 tricks.
Google it and you will find their website and lists and descriptions of their tricks.
On the downside, their average tricks run $20-45, with many going higher because they are becoming quite collectable. Tenyo is a great way to learn more about magic, and get some great tricks to perform for your friends.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Amazing and easy tricks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL