The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Paper Cone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

noahrobd
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of noahrobd
Where do you recommend getting large sheets a paper of adequate thickness to construct a Paper Cone/Tarbell Cone/Utility Cone, etc.

I have tried my hand at this using large sketch paper (not tracing paper). The paper seems thick, but can be seen through..... So what paper do you recommend and where can I get it? Also I used white paper for my first attempt. What color paper do you recommend using?

Thanks,
Noah
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Go to a good artists suppy store. You'll find many types of paper including some that's hand made.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
267 Posts

Profile of tstark
Many of the older paper effects were made using butcher paper or wrapping paper of the type you would now find at a shipping store.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Industrial sewing thread cone
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
If using it (for example) as milk in cone ,I would not reccomend using white. I like to let some of the fake milk pour into into it to dribble out as a convincer. White would leave a streack that's visible.I use a design that's busy looking to the eye.
Just an idea.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Besides an art supply store, their are 'Teacher Supply' stores that carry tons of different paper, card stock, etc. If you have one in your area, try this as a source. You do not have to be a teacher to purchase from them.

Year back the Tarbell Cone was available on the magic market, it was made from then card stock, that had an emboss in the surface. They then sewed the sections with a sewing machine with large widths between stitches. Then colorful tape was put around all the edges.

Hope this helps you solve your search.
Bo J
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Bo J
In hobby-shops they have self-adesive semi-transparent parchment-like soft thin plastic sheets. They are used to make the supporting structure for lamp-shades.
I will try to describe how I make cones out of this material:
You start to make a cone by making a pattern of the rolled-out cone. Use the pattern and cut this shape out from self-adesive Fablon of green felt. Then fasten the self-adesive green felt at one end of the non sticky side of the parchment-like plastic sheet. After that turn the sticky side of the plastic sheet outwards and roll it into a cone using the green felt on the inside of the cone as a pattern. Continue rolling the plastic sheet into a cone untill you have a thickness of 2-3 layers of plastic. As you roll you can cut away surplus plastic at the ends of the cone by using the green felt on the inside of the cone as a guide. After you have finished the structure of the cone, you can cover the outside of the plastic with real or imitation leather.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2009-11-16 10:56, noahrobd wrote:
Where do you recommend getting large sheets a paper of adequate thickness to construct a Paper Cone/Tarbell Cone/Utility Cone, etc.

I have tried my hand at this using large sketch paper (not tracing paper). The paper seems thick, but can be seen through..... So what paper do you recommend and where can I get it? Also I used white paper for my first attempt. What color paper do you recommend using?

Thanks,
Noah

Boy, this thread is now getting confusing. The original poster asked about Tarbell cone, now we are getting answers to make a regular cone.

So I guess we need clairfication on what use and purpose the poster is inquiring about.

A Tarbell Cone, a utility prop, is a square of paper folded in sections at angles to form a flat cone that can be opened to vanish and produce silks and flat objects.

A leather cone or cardboard cone can be used for the Ball and Cone effect by Dai Vernon, a sleight of hand routine.

A paper cone for say, the milk in paper vanish is just a ordinary newpaper or paper of your choice that a corner is held in one hand and the other hand wraps the other diagonal far corner around forming a cone. Check out Jeff McBride's stage magic video on a detailed explaination.

So what are we discussing?
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Wmhegbli:

Though I loved the Tarbell Cone in concept, the few I made and tested (of kraft paper) were suspiciously lumpy in practise and never made it to an actual performance. Thanks to your suggestion of using card stock, I'm retooling and may be able to use the good Doctor's bit after all! Smile

Leland
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
A magic shop in St. Louis, DeVoe Magic which is now long out of business, use to make these. They were excellent and large. As for lumpy, the Tarbell Cone is usually used for silks. If it is properly placed in the cone, no bluge will be visible. A busy design will also camoflage the surface. Make them at least 15" by 15" or larger.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Paper Cone (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL