The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Zig Zag or Modern Art (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Just taking a quick poll:

Of course Zig Zag has been done so much more, but what's the better illusion in your opinions? In other words, what do you all think is really more baffling to a lay audience?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
I think that the Modern Art is the better choice! Even though its also been done to death... THE moder art is cool because you can open two doors and see major body parts top box and bottom box... The top box also slides all the way over...
The Zig Zag illusion is a much larger box which is also a negative for traveling and the fact that the smaller a prop the more deceptive it appears..
The Modern Art is smaller and cooler.... The only thing that I like better about the ZZ is the two blades... I have performed them both and think that the way magic has been exposed on TV..... That the MODERN IS THE BETTER CHOICE...
I think that Owen Redwine builds one of the best.
I hope this helps you out.
TR
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1400 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
If you've seen the best of the best... as in Robert Harbin himself doing the illusions.. you'd know that the Zig Zag is the only choice...

Though I own one for the moment.. I don't think that the modern art is a very deceptive illusion.. the ONE solution in a layman's mind is the only method availalbe.. and the table has NEVER looked like a separate part of the prop... (Dan Sperry excepted)...
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
My opinion is that they're both excellent illusions, and while one might be better for one performer, the other will be better for another.

Both can be performed well, and both can be performed poorly. So it is kind of an unanswerable question.

For me personally, it's the Zig Zag.
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Good points from all!

Keep it coming as I really want to hear what all you experts think about this one!

Thanks!
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
If your going to go with the ZZ illusions I think the best builder for that illusion is edfmagic.. THey worked for John Gaughan for over twenty five years and have better prices than John Gaughan.... The main thing that I didn't like about the Zig zag illusion is the box is normally to big... But the Zig zag that Edf magic makes or did make back in the day when they worked for John Gaughan was really the best that I'd ever worked with... THe center extra slide and the tickle box.... The first zig zag that I owned as a child was the CHUS magic version from Hong Kong I believe it was ..... Then I had the Chalet version and then last but not least... The John Gaughan Version which was really the real deal..
Now keep in mind that the EDF guys are the same guys who have built every Origami, Interlude, Pole Levitation and any other prop that came thru Johns shop for around twenty five yrs between the two of then Eric and John...
http://www.edfmagic.com My wife built their web site around 4 yrs ago....
They have great prices and build some of the best stuff around....
I got the ZZ used, it once belonged to PETER REVEEN>>>>
I hope this helps.
I just think that the ZZ seems dated even in the way it looks...
People remember seeing even Donny and Marie do the effect back in the 70's..
with the Modern Art it looks kinda Modern and It's not seen as often...

I came up with a double zig zag illusion in the late 90's and then I talked with Copperfield about the effect.... IT was going to be a do as I do illusion....
HE loved the Illusion and the Idea... But he said if we do it .... IT has to be anything but a Zig Zag illusion... I really would rather not go into the routine that I invented.. So as you can see the way David Thinks...
Now he wouldn't even do the Modern Art because he does Steve Fearsons Effect with no box... IT's hard to beat.... NO BOX>
David was looking for a do as I do effect and he ended up going with the rope trick for the special and my idea didn't make to the special...
Same thing happen with my origianl sub trunk.... He was already build the Cacoon Illusion or as he told me it was going to be the Bed Sub trunk with a head board and Hand cuffs and stuff..... A lot changed before it made it to TV>>>>
But he said that my trunk wast the best that he had heard of...
I hope all this helps you out...
TR

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 1:38am
I forgot to tell you who to deal with if you ever go with edfmagic..
Ask for Eric Olsen or John Uhern. They own the company and are great guys to work with.... The name of the Comapany is Entertainment Design and Fabrication=====www.edfmagic.com I hope this doesn't sound like a commercial for these guys, but they are just the best that I've ever worked with and I've been doing magic for 39yrs now..
Thank you again,

Taylor Reed
www.taylorreed.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
Illusion77
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
I have to agree with everything that Taylor said. Eric and John at EDF are two of the very best builders in the world and two of the nicest people in the business.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I think this has been discussed a few times before. The Modern Art is simply a more visual illusion, hands down. I restore the girl with the doors open .. you can't beat that. Owen Redwine built the one Jim photographed for his book: Modern Art. There are a couple of dozen Owen had built years ago and yes, they are the very best out there. He told me "You better like the color as the prop will outlive both of us." Scary but true ...

The Zig Zag Lady does hold a special place in my heart .. after all it was my first illusion way back when. Of course I sold it as it was just collecting dust after I added the Modern Art to the show. I hope to add an Owen Brothers Zig Zag to my collection one day .. it's a beauty.

The guys at EDF are great .. Erick has been very helpful over the years. I would trust them with any project. They know illusions .. inside and out.

Steve
CMMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
Myrtle Beach , S.C.
145 Posts

Profile of CMMAGIC
The Zig Zag gets a better response with my audiences , I tried Modern Art but ppl's reviews wanna know " why don't the legs move ?

Harbins ZIGZAG is also not used as much as modern art these days . so to laymen its NEWER
- Carl Michael - www.CarlMichaelMagic.com
Frequent performer at top night clubs such as Mansion Miami , PURE Las Vegas , Marquee Vegas , and Veranda NYC . 2012 and 2013 Reader's Choice Magician of the Year. Currently headlining in my own stage show in Myrtle Beach . Follow on twitter , Instagram and ViNe @CMMAGIC
Edgar Alstad
View Profile
New user
Levanger, Norway
95 Posts

Profile of Edgar Alstad
I agree with makeupguy's argument. Also, Steimeyer himself claimed in one of his books that ZZ is an almost perfect illusion. If the staging is right, the three parts seem to have separated completely, and there is no doubt the girl is still inside the box. Modern Art may be more visual, but ZZ is still more deceptive IMHO Smile
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Most of the illusions that are performed today have been exposed by the masked one. So if you use that as your criteria of what to perform or not perform, you will simply quit doing stage magic.

Through the years, how many times has the classic sawing a lady in half been exposed? Yet there are many performers still getting mileage out of a thin sawing.

The Zig Zag is a classic of magic that will be a staple of magic acts to come. Ed Alonzo is getting great reactions with Britney Spears, so a whole new generation of audiences is being exposed to the illusion. As mentioned before, it is imperative that the illusion be built and designed properly. Too many magicians have used home made props that are simply not deceptive. How many pictures have you seen of a guy standing there with the middle section half way over? This is simply fooling no one, except the guy that bought/built it.

Here is a video sample wherein the assistant is too large for the prop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pCjbZ3ra_0

Here is a 70s performance by Mark Wilson, using a John Gaughan prop, one of the first televised performances of the Zig Zag in the U.S.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT-YdaHwmzE

And here is Talyor Reed's Zig Zag, being presented by Reveen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wzbtKQrTMc

Clearly still deceptive after all of these years!

The Modern Art is a new classic of magic. Like the Zig Zag, it can be performed in many situations where the angles are bad, and is much more visual than the zig zag, with more of the body exposed. I also favor the Chezaday opinion of the full view restoration. It is an incredible visual for the audience.

With the Zig Zag, costuming is not as important as with the Modern Art.

So now all you have to do is decide which prop suits YOUR performing style.

My 2˘

Chris
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1903 Posts

Profile of chmara
OPINION WARNING - MY OPINION AS AN OLD PUTZ -- ACCEPT OR REJECT AS SUCH:

Modern art -- is a much stronger visual illusion. You do not have to speak for it to look good - and eeven marginally acceptable magicians can act their way through it if they have an OK assistant. I would prefer to see it "dressed" in a way that would differentiate it from the "stock" models -- use the principle but cut with lazer, blow torch - different knife --- turn the box industrial -- or ancient feudal or Chinese.

BUT - for great magic -- audience involvement and a magician who can talk -- a well made COLLAPSIBLE Zig Zag (yes it can fold flat) made in the narrowest (smallest) size -- and using the original art, to my eyes has a touch of elegance that can be viewed close-up!

I feel Blackstone did Harbin's creativity a disservice by turning the illusion into a demonstration that did not involve a close up witness checking the missing middle ---- The illusion was made when cabaret and night club audiences were right on top of you -- and you wheeled on and off a dance floor. Moving onto stage and not having someone look real close removes the audience involvement and intimacy from the routine -- even though the ttrick remains the same.

Just my 50 cents worth after using both.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
If you're going to perform modern art, make the cutting more believable. The best performance I have seen was with a chainsaw. (The magician started it and laid it down .) Don't go with that butter knife that's usually used. Everybody knows there is no way that could cut anyone in half. Go with a real-looking chainsaw and put that in the spot where the knife goes instead.
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Thanks again to all for your most complete thoughts and responses.

No worries Gregg- Opinions are JUST what I'm looking for here.

Steve, I realize that this may have come up before on the Café`, but I wanted to get a fresh new forum going on the matter and it has truly sparked some serious interest in seeing what you all have to say on the subject of these 2 fine illusions.

Taylor, I appreciate you pointing out edfmagic. I'd not seen their site yet. Very cool! In the last 2 years, I've officially gone from close up guy to full on grand illusion guy. Not that I don't still perform close up, but at this juncture, I really enjoy busting out the big guns for the big show! I guess you could say I'm taking a real David Lee Roth approach to it and it feels just like living in paradise! I also must say that collecting all the illusions thus far has been just as fun as performing with them.

Chris, thanks for sharing those clips. I believe I may have saw 1 or 2 of those live back when I was 7 or 8! Funny you brought up the Brittney Spears thing. I don't have either of these props yet, but I saw that clip on Youtube, and thought...wow....everything old really is new again! Then thinking back on when the last time I actually SAW ZZ being performed on stage? Well, it must be over 25 years now. One thing I think is so huge about performing this that all of these performances is missing is a black backdrop! However, as you said, it's still VERY deceptive without it.

So far, for me I have to agree with Makeupguy, Frank, Carl, and Edgar I suppose. Mind you that I'm very much trying to look at this from a layperson's viewpoint and not a magician's. I think that is very easy for us jaded magi to do these days. Especially since ZZ is so old and had been done so much when we were children or younger so to speak. I hope I don't make people upset by saying this, but when I've seen modern art from the first to the last performances I've seen on stage, I see manikin legs....plain and simple. Which is why I wondered what some of you who have used both on the same tour have received reaction wise. Even knowing how ZZ is done, it still looks totally impossible to my jaded eyes....blackground or not!

Still interested in more debate though.........I'm not buying both of these.

Thanks to one and all!
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
I typed this stuff hours ago and then my computer got jammed... So some of this stuff may have been talked about since... I haven't had time to stop and read all the updates.... I've been in some pretty big meeting today on some possible great things to do with the ZZ in the future....LOL
Zig zag can't be that bad since Britney Spears is doing it on tour with one of the best in comedy magic. "Ed Alonzo"

I remember my friend Melinda doing this illusion back in the day with a guy that she would cut into thirds with the music... I'm too sexy for my love...

I would just like to see someone do something really new with the illusion. Even Copperfield 20 something yrs ago performed a more origianl routine with a painting of a girl in a wedding dress on the prop... He then went on to dance with the box and the girl in the box while she was all cut up... I saw David perform this live at a magic convention many yrs ago and it was great... All the magicians said why didn't I think of something like that...

That's why I came up with the double zig zag illusion that no one is aware of but just a few people... one old beat up looking zz from the past for the audience member to use and a beautiful brand new zz for me to use ... remember this was a do as I do effect... The magician would be the teacher and the aud member would be the student... The student would use an empty box and the magician would use a girl in his box... That's all I can say for now, but this would have and still could be a show stopper for someone... the ending has a kicker that would leave the audience spell bound...

I'm still a big fan of the modern art, but the zz is a classic of magic and the lay audience still loves it and it still fools.....zz is the illusion that I really looked up to as a child... I couldn't believe how cool it was and I use to look at the photo in the chus magic catolog all day ever day in school....

The first time that I saw the zz being performed live was at a mall show in Houston, TX as a child ... The performer was mark Wilson and it blew me away..

So I don't want y'all to think that I think that the zz s----, I just think that the modern art is more of the new thing... Steinmeyer is the best of our time...
This is all just an opinion...

I forgot to mention that I do an original version of modern art in my show...
I call it double modern arts... You can see a small clip of it on my website.
http://www.taylorreed.com
I'm not very good on the computer... I don't know how to cut and paste etc...
My wife is an expert, but really gets fed up with my lake of computer skills...
This double modern art effect I nothing like the double zigzag illusion that I have scripted and sketched out and ready to go.. It's more of a comedy routine...

My double modern arts start off the back sides look like speaker etc.. I could explain more about the effect if anyone would like to know more...

I hope you like it and sorry I forgot to mention it before...
TAYLOR
www.taylorreed.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
Chase
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
98 Posts

Profile of Chase
If the audience thinks "fake legs" with the modern art, then the staging needs tweeking.
If you've ever seen Kevin Spencer perform Modern Art... he and Cindy get GASPS when he slices her. Their prop is a standard design with the "butter knife". Just goes to show how presentation is everything.

Zig Zag is a favorite of mine, as it was the first illusion I ever saw in person (It was Ed Alonzo at Dogpatch USA theme park!).

I recently bought a used Modern Art from Christopher Starr. With a little work I was able to perform it with Harbin's patter, close up, with a volunteer from the audience. It's just a matter of volunteer management and proper staging.

Finally, I selected the Modern Art over the zig zag because, after examining both illusions, my team agreed that, while the MA could be used close up, it was also the most visible at a distance. I perform at several rodeos a year, and the Modern Art cabinet REALLY changes shape when you seperate the halves. The zigzag, when viewed from a steep incline, loses some effectiveness. You can't see through the center section because the top section blocks the view. Just a thought.

Good news is, you can't make a bad decision in this choice. Both are gems!
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Very good point about the elevated seating! I perform at a couple of amphitheatres where that could be an issue for the peeps way up in the nose bleeds......

Thanks!
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
To my taste, I like the Modern Art...They look modernistic and well build would be a piece of art, but being realistic as these days I watch audiences beeing fooled with a Zig Zag,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Swann101
View Profile
Special user
539 Posts

Profile of Swann101
Hi Taylor,
I have a friend (who has stopped performing magic for about 10 years now) who used to perform a double zig zag swop illusion, where the middles swoped places (a la sawing in half) was very clever!
I have modified my zig zag so the middle moves out an extra 2 feet! I also use a thin base middle principle for the part the lady hides her body, it is very deceptive! I love the zig zag, but with all that being said the modern art is a great illusion and might have more lay audience appeal simple because more of the lady's body is exposed and for that reason looks fairer to the audience. The Pendragons had a nice interactive modern art version on tv some time back!
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
That's cool that your friend has a double zz illusion where the middle can be swithched out, but that is not what mine does.... Mine is a completly different effect.... I like the sound of what you did with the base idea...

I know that you were not trying to tell me that a double zz had been done before, you were just telling me what a friend had done...

I just wanted you all to know that my double zz effect is not that one..
Thank you,
Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Zig Zag or Modern Art (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL