The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The psychic, the magician, the hypnotist, and the mentalist... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Recently I was working with a client who has booked hypnotists and psychic readers for stage shows in the past...

I'm curious...

Rank the following in the order YOU think audiences are most keenly interested. I will post a brief descriptor with each...

Magician: Illusions, slight of hand, etc
Hypnotist: Self explanatory
Mentalist: Do I need to explain?
Psychic Reader: Some one souly lecturing on intuition, growing psychic gifts, etc. They may do the occasional reading -- but nothing even remotely close to a Q&A.

Rate these in order of what you feel lay audiences find MOST appealing to watch on stage...

My List...

1)Psychic
2)Mentalist
3)Hypnotist
4)Magician

thoughts?

J
xxx
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
1. Psychic
2. Hypnotist

And tied for a very, very distant third is:
mentalist/magician (tie, possible edge to mentalist among older audiences, and magician among younger audiences)
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Pickpocket my friend, don't forget the pickpocket ( I don't talk here about the magicians steal only the classic watch, but a man like Apollo and co.

Psychic
hypnotist
pickpocket
mentalist
magician
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
I will say this -- I asked the booker to put out his list...

This is what he told me...

1:Psychic/mentalist: 1 and the same in the eyes of most. It's hot right now because of the media, its new and different.

2:Hypnotist: People have seen a million hyp shows a million times.

3:Magician: Magic is for kids and there are too many bad Birthday party magicians out there...

This gentleman is an entertainment buyer for a large venue I have been working with. I thought his insight was interesting. ( considering at the end of the day he is the guy that writes the cheques and hires the acts ).

J
xxx
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2460 Posts

Profile of magicmind
As these are all labels.....especially to Laymen. What other discriptives can be used to convey psychic, mentalist,hypnotist,magician?

I think labels might make:
magicians "bad birthday party entertainers"
Hypnotist "People have seen a million hyp shows a million times. "
Psychic may be seen as a Sylvia Browne
Mentalist as a "Kreskin" (we would be lucky if they think of him)
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Psychic and mentalist the same?

Most people I have spoken too called Phenomenon a magic show and all but one person on it, magicians.

There is a difference between say John Edward and Gerry McCambridge, I don't know one booker who would classify them the same.

Are you sure the “booker” was not pulling your leg?
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2460 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 10:16, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

Most people I have spoken too called Phenomenon a magic show and al but one person on it, magicians.

There is a difference between say John Edward and Gerry McCambridge, I don't know one booker who would classify them the same.

I separated mine in the post above, because I also believe they are NOT the same thing. Similar in ways....I can agree with as I think there is some cross-over there, but surely no the same.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Ultimately, I think that audiences want to be entertained and will go for the most interesting, fun, engaging (etc) performer first regardless of the title or their expertise.

Plus...these titles are simply "titles" and mean different things to different people with varying preconceived ideas. The list could be different for every person. And...every person would likely change their mind on the order after seeing a good performer who exists in one of their bottom categories.

I think audiences gravitate and develop a liking to the person (the performer) and their ability to entertain rather than what specifically they do.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Magicmind:

Sorry for confusion, I was typing mine when you made your post. My post is in reference to Jeff's post above yours.

Tony
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I agree with Scott. It depends on how popular the entertainer is.

Another thing that is important is the type of audience. Kids are not interested in mentalist as much as magicians. But if this is on a college campus, it is a different story.

Another way to rate them deals with how good the content is that describes each entertainer during advertisement.

A comedian will be good to have on the list too.
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
669 Posts

Profile of Alel
Don't you think this topic is better moved to this section?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......44&43076

Just suggesting...Smile
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1245 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Depends on the performer. Depends on the audience. Copperfield killed it in his day. Jon Edward is the medium version of Copperfield (in terms of success).

It's all about market segmentation. No act is ever going to be inherently more appealing to everyone. Knowing ones target audience is key.

The booker needs a marketing lesson.
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 10:52, Alel wrote:
Don't you think this topic is better moved to this section?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......44&43076

Just suggesting...Smile

It is good here, but thanks.
Alexo
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
112 Posts

Profile of Alexo
It really depends on the crowd. For example at my college I attended 3 shows and found almost the exact opposite of what's suggested here. One by a hypnotist whose name I can't remember, The Evasons (mentalists), and Justin Kredible (magician). Here's how they measured out in audience turn out
1. Justin Kredible
2. Evasons
3. The hypnotist.
So in this instance the magician had the highest turnout and the most positive response. Justin even got a write-up in the school paper the next day.
So who really knows?
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
I'm with Tony on this one, all the way!

1. Psychic/Reader
2. Hypnotist
3. Mentalist/Magician (maybe even with the magician going first!)

I also find it very, very odd that a booker would consider a psychic and mentalist the same thing.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1245 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Tony, Phenomenon almost was a magic show... almost. The gentleman who won was clearly a magician. The rest of the world doesn't hate magicians nearly as much as mentalists do... go figure!
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Perhaps it depends on how you position yourself -- which apparently was lost in translation here.

This is what may have lead the booker to position a psychic and mentalist in the same grouping.

Either way -- just relaying what the booker said.

J
xxx
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Perhaps you booker was a bad booker, he doesn't know anything about mentalist or/and psychic ?
I know lot of very bad booker, I think there's more bad booker than bad mentalists.
thank to internet to have "liberate" a little bit the market.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2167 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 10:16, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

Most people I have spoken too called Phenomenon a magic show and all but one person on it, magicians.

Id say all but TWO persons on it, magicians
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
To me, depending on his approach, a mentalist is either a psychic or a magician. If he is a magician I have little interest in watching him - and if he leans towards the psychic (readings, Q&A, two-person telepathy) then I love it.

So I would rank them:
Psychic
Hypnotist
Magician.

It's interesting that most people seem to rank them in that order, including the booker. At the moment I am rebranding my hypnosis show and the direction I have decided to go is the psychic one - I am now calling myself the Psychic Hypnotist.
If people on this forum are any guide, I think I may be onto something.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The psychic, the magician, the hypnotist, and the mentalist... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL