The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A question about performing for an audience (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ohiomagic
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of ohiomagic
Question to all of you who have experience in mentalism and performing. I have been performing magic since a kid and used to perform in front of people on a regular basis. I have not however perform in front of an audience in a few years and during those few years have stopped performing straight magic and have been practicing mentalism exclusively. My question is how do I go about getting started in front of people (which is the only true way to practice mentalism). I am 30 years old. No longer a young boy who can gather the parents and neighbors in the living room. I want to get starting in front of real people. As I mentioned I have not performed in a few years and really just forgot how to get going again. Any advice would be great.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
There are always service groups or charities looking for people to entertain for meetings, fund-raisers, etc. Contact them and offer your services.

- entity
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Join Toastmasters, an international organisation that teaches public speaking through a network of clubs throughout the world. Jeff McBride offered the same advice at a masterclass a few years ago. It will turn you into a polished presenter, and transform your ability to prepare your presentations and handle an audience.
ohiomagic
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of ohiomagic
Thanks Tony. That may be something I will look into. I know of local theatre groups that would let me use their facilities for putting on public shows etc. But I am more interested in started out somewhere that I can be bad or not so good and make a few mistakes and grow before I start selling tickects and that sort of thing. I know my way around the stage and have done hundreds of performances but never with mentalism. All stage illusions and manipulation acts etc. Most of which was done to music. I need to gain experience with what I am now doing and speaking on stage throughout the entire show. It seems like a whole new animal to me and I feel I am basically starting over from the begining . Which is nice to me I like the freshness of it all but I am also a little lost on how to get started again. I like the toastmasters idea. I have also been keeping an eye out for local open mic nights at coffee shops and places like that where I can try 15 minutes out and work on the kinks. I guess I would feel more comfortable if each portion of the show could be performed seperately a few times before I go out and do the whole show as one unit.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
The advice you have been given is perfect. BUT......
You've got to DO IT NOW. That's RIGHT NOW. Look for reasons not to and they're everywhere. Yoou simply have to MOOOOOOVE. If you had a coach (based on the fact that you seem to know the 'how to') he'd be throwing you in everywhere. And afterwards you'd know that that was the right thing to do.
So, say thankyou, and good luck.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
When you feel comfortable with your magic shows, start including mentalism with your magic shows little by little. It will help you start off knowing how to perform your metalism effects in a relaxing manner. That is what I did.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
1. Make a list of all your local Senior centers and nursing homes.

2. Call them, tell them your story and volunteer to do a short magic and mentalism show before or after any of their scheduled entertainments.

3. Followup. You should be able to book in about a dozen shows, which should be enough of a warmup for you to get started again.

...the advantages are obvious...the shows can be loose and 'spontaneous' and nobody will mind. Your audience reactions will be rather subdued, which will give you a very good barometer of whats hot and what's not. You'll be able to study the effects and your performances on the fly.

..and, of course, if you are awful the first show or two, nobody will remember your name or the show.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
What I did when I wanted to start performing publicly was to start performing magic (and later mentalism) at family functions (like birthdays, holiday gatherings, etc). Then, it spread to opportunities with my church (Sunday School class picnics, Christmas dinner, youth group events) and nonprofit groups associated with friends. I also performed at a Rotary Club Christmas program.

When you do these kinds of things, people will seek you out for paid shows. I do not rely on shows to take care of my family, so whatever I make is gravy. Magicians are a rare commodity in my area, so I am not hurting others with my donated shows.

Whenever I perform without charge or at a discounted rate for a nonprofit, I always ask the group for a letter to share with potential clients.

The main thing is to develop a show and force yourself to perform. Put a lot of thought into your show because it is more than stringing together a series of effects.

As Nike says, Just Do It.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12242 Posts

Profile of John C
Chambers, middle schools/high schools, public library youth groups, rotary clubs, women's clubs, church youth groups, coffee house nights, drama clubs, walk up to people at starbucks (coffees too expensive they won't throw it at you!)
Men's clubs always look for free entertainment,

other venues ...

j
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Don't overlook the Toastmasters suggestion.

Gil Scott
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12242 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 17:22, gadfly3d wrote:
Don't overlook the Toastmasters suggestion.

Gil Scott

TM is good for speaking practice. They aren't necessarily good for rehearsing routines. Must follow their rules and this doesn't bode well for talks with props.

j
Mind
View Profile
New user
Bedfordshire, UK
76 Posts

Profile of Mind
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 14:52, Tom Jorgenson wrote:

2. Call them, tell them your story and volunteer to do a short magic and mentalism show before or after any of their scheduled entertainments.

Really??

This was something I wanted to do before but was strongly advised on another magic board not to. I was told that mentalism plays badly in front of these audiences and that it really bores them to death because mentalism is not visual enough.

Can you get away with a straight mentalism show or do you recommend it be mixed with magic to keep their attention?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12242 Posts

Profile of John C
Don't perform an entire 50 minutes just use the venue to work out some routines, 20 minutes ...

j
trykcs
View Profile
New user
Cebu
11 Posts

Profile of trykcs
Quote:
Can you get away with a straight mentalism show or do you recommend it be mixed with magic to keep their attention?

Depends on what type of magic you are talking about. If you're talking about visual parlor magic, there are ways to keep their attention using mentalism; you don't really need to resort to parlor acts if you don't want to.

Jean
Jean Mitchell
Mind
View Profile
New user
Bedfordshire, UK
76 Posts

Profile of Mind
Ok, thanks for that.

Sorry for hijacking your thread ohiomagic!
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Quote:
On 2009-11-19 07:44, Mind wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 14:52, Tom Jorgenson wrote:

Really??

This was something I wanted to do before but was strongly advised on another magic board not to. I was told that mentalism plays badly in front of these audiences and that it really bores them to death because mentalism is not visual enough.

I do a one hour show once a month for various hospitals where the residents are primarily seniors. This is often where I experiment and try out new material. I can assure you that they absolutely love it. Many of the residents come show after show even though the the effects are virtually the same. The staff knows how much the residents love it.

The great advantage of doing shows like this is you learn the show is primarily about you as a performer rather than the effects you perform. I still remember performing at a nursing home many years ago when one woman said "if we weren't all in wheel chairs we'de give you a standing ovation".

The point is they will love what you do if they like you and you entertain them. This is true whether it is magic or a full act of mentalism as I do. One more important thing is you want to perform at a time when there are family members present. It's the interaction and participation of the residents and their family that makes this such an enjoyable experience for them.

Don't let anyone tell you that mentalism can't be done for seniors. You might have to make some modifications and adaptations but with a little work it can be a very rewarding experience that will at the same time make you a better performer.

Steve
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
I perform in residential senior facilities/apartments all the time. If you go for the independent living facilities, which there are a lot of, they are GREAT audiences!

Typically I perform a 30 - 40 minute show. These are the ideal places to work out your material. The material I developed in these places are now the staples of my private and corporate work. I still perform for seniors.

You may have to make a few adjustments to your show. Getting people up to assist can be a problem at times, so just let them stay in their seats and go to them. If you're doing something like a book test, or something they have to read, make sure you bring a large magnifying glass.

From my experience the residents are typically in their 80's, still sharp and they love live entertainment. They grew up with live entertainment. They grew up with variety entertainment. Many of them remember Dunninger, so they know what mentalism is all about.

Working for seniors is the ideal audience for a new mentalist. You need stage time, there's just no other way around becoming a good mentalist. Go do these shows and not only will you get the stage time, you'll make some extra money and make a lot of people very happy. Win-Win!
ohiomagic
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of ohiomagic
Thanks everyone for the help. I will be looking into the places mentioned and I guess my best bet is to do something every where I can. Right now I am more worried about getting the practice and stage time in and not so much focusing on a specific market yet. Thanks again.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You are most welcome.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20519 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Sales meetings and civic clubs are usually an easy introduction.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A question about performing for an audience (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL