The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aleister Crowley (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Arthur Edward Waite's book on ceremonial magic is in some editions, I believe, titled "The Book of Black Magic," and Waite and Crowley were not exactly bosom buddies. Possibly this is the book you refer to, Critter. I'm not sure; this is just a guess.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
It could be the Waite one. I just looked at a picture of it and it looks familiar. The book belonged to an old girlfriend years ago so it's hard to remember.
Mike knows way more about Crowley than I do so I'll try to remember to ask for his recommendations.

I think this is the book:

Like I said, I doubt it's very accurate but it is entertaining. The chapter on sacrifices was interesting although I preferred Anton LaVey's writing on that subject.
About LaVey, I never bought into the Satanism thing, but I read a lot about it because I was a metal singer and it's a good source of lyrics. Plus, LaVey was an entertaining and thought provoking rant writer.
Also, I know that Crowley wasn't a Satanist so nobody needs to point that out to me.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2009-11-19 10:39, critter wrote:
Well everybody knows Crowley was a time traveller.
What some people don't know is that Crowley stashed Hubbards engrams in a package of Thoth tarot cards and sent them to Utah. When Joseph Smith read Hubbard his fortune they both died on the spot. And that's how Crowley became the supreme religious leader of the entire world.
Now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

And now you know...the REST of the story.

Quote:
On 2009-11-19 11:27, Bill Ligon wrote:
Crowley's influence on Hubbard and Scientology was probably not inconsiderable.

I've seen at least one photo of Hubbard in a pose that looked to be modeled after one in a Crowley photo.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Critter:

Sorry, I thought you meant a book with mention of Crowley. As for the book you listed, it is not as the title suggests and is actually out on the market under several names. Another name, that more aptly describes the content is CEREMONIAL MAGIC. This book has been retitled several times over the years by publishers trying to trying to hook into a fad or trend in the magic community (real magic community, no the entertainment community).

Tony
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2009-11-19 21:49, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Critter:

Sorry, I thought you meant a book with mention of Crowley. As for the book you listed, it is not as the title suggests and is actually out on the market under several names. Another name, that more aptly describes the content is CEREMONIAL MAGIC. This book has been retitled several times over the years by publishers trying to trying to hook into a fad or trend in the magic community (real magic community, no the entertainment community).

Tony

Hm. I must be thinking of a different one then because the one I read definately had a darker bent to it and there was I think at least one whole chapter on Crowley.
~Will Rogers
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
The book sounds a lot like “Cults of the Shadow” by Kenneth Grant, which was why I asked. As a side point, Arthur E. Waite was head of the Golden Dawn, he is most remembered for the Rider Waite Tarot deck. Waite and Crowley had a very "difficult" relationship, and has been cited as the major reason Crowley split from the GD.
ico
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
109 Posts

Profile of ico
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 20:30, JoeBlack wrote:
Hey guys, I want to learn more about Aleister Crowley what is the best book out there about him?

Thanks in advance.

Kaczynski and Duquette's books are more or less sectarian - they will give you an "official" Ordo Templi Orientis picture of Crowley and are in fact endorsed by OTO. Sutin's book is quite independent and academic. Regardie's is a personal account through the eyes of a Golden Dawn colleague. Pick your poison...
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Nectar to the wise, poison to the fool. let one be a fool so that he may come wise. 93 93/93
sir real
View Profile
New user
I've been tied to
85 Posts

Profile of sir real
I believe the title is "Diary of a Dope Fiend" by Aleister Crowley. Not his whole life story,of course,but a very insane time in his life and a wild and interesting read for sure.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2009-11-20 00:13, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
The book sounds a lot like “Cults of the Shadow” by Kenneth Grant, which was why I asked. As a side point, Arthur E. Waite was head of the Golden Dawn, he is most remembered for the Rider Waite Tarot deck. Waite and Crowley had a very "difficult" relationship, and has been cited as the major reason Crowley split from the GD.

It definately had 'black magic' in the title. Dang, I wish I could remember.
~Will Rogers
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
"Diary of a Dope Fiend" is one of Crowley's novels. All of his work includes a main character or two that are idealized versions about Crowley. I found that the Simon Iff stories had a lot to say about how Crowley saw himself.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2009-11-20 11:29, seadog93 wrote:
"Diary of a Dope Fiend" is one of Crowley's novels. All of his work includes a main character or two that are idealized versions about Crowley. I found that the Simon Iff stories had a lot to say about how Crowley saw himself.

Oh, yes, I agree. His novels tell an awful lot about how he maintained an idealized picture of himself. There were many facets to Crowley's personality, some bright and shiny, others dark and dirty. But then, is this not typical of the shaman in any culture?
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
JoeBlack
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of JoeBlack
Well thank you very much to everyone that replied, I really appreciate it.
I have chosen to go with Sutin's "Do What Thou Wilt", seems like a good (and cheap) one to start.

I was still waiting to hear from Paul Brook, cause I know he has also studied Aleister life, but I guess he must be busy these days.

Anyway thank you all,
J
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Hey "Diary of a Drug Fiend" is really cheap at Powell's:
http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9780877281467-17

This one also looks real good and is cheap-o!
http://www.powells.com/biblio/2-9781578634569-0
~Will Rogers
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
" There were many facets to Crowley's personality, some bright and shiny, others dark and dirty. But then, is this not typical of the shaman in any culture?"

Quite right. Probably true about all of us I'd guess, though we are not all brave enough to admit it, let alone investigate and experiment with our multi-faceted and mostly repressed selves.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
— Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good And Evil
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
JoeBlack
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of JoeBlack
Quote:
On 2009-11-20 17:08, critter wrote:
This one also looks real good and is cheap-o!
http://www.powells.com/biblio/2-9781578634569-0

The "The Weiser Concise Guide to Aleister Crowley" book also sounds intresting but the description reads "this book offers Crowleyas teachings in his own words". I think I would rather start with a biography like Sutin's one.
Thanks for the links though.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I was just flipping through some old guitar magazines and I remembered that in Guitar World's January 2008 issue, that Jimmy Page talked a lot about Crowley. Here's an exerpt:

http://www.zimbio.com/Aleister+Crowley/a......ing+mage

If anyone wants to read the whole thing the issue is available on eBay and probably the GW website.
~Will Rogers
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-11-19 11:27, Bill Ligon wrote:

Crowley's influence on Hubbard and Scientology was probably not inconsiderable.

Scientology understatement on the day!

Considering that the structure of the "levels" system of the church and the "degrees" of the OTO were identical in all but name at one time, I'd say that was very much so true.

...but there is very little ( I'd hesitate to say "none at all" )of Crowley's philosophical underpinnings in scientology.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Gaddy wrote:
Quote:
Scientology understatement on the day!

Gaddy, call it "academic caution."
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Actually, Hubbard was more than simply connected to Crowley through Jack Parsons. Hubbard was a full member of the Pasadena branch of the O.T.O. (Crowley's group).

In Crowley's treatment of others, I would respectfully disagree that he was, as seadog93 wrote, "a misogynist, racist, bigot and homphobe (though bisexual)." I would contend that he was highly enlightened in such treatment for the era in which he lived. Compared to attitudes today, he may have been most of those things, but I imagine that 60 years from now people will be calling those of us who think we are not misogynistic, racist, or bigoted embarrassingly filled with such attitudes.

I haven't seen anything in his writing or actions that would indicate he was a homophobe, perhaps you could point this out? Also, I would add that he was intuitively able to attack people by "pushing their buttons." So it is quite possible that reading something taken out of context may give the appearance of his having such attitudes when it was really just trying to get somebody to do something.

The book mentioned so far about Crowley all have good points and negative ones. I would suggest reading several of his biographies (and his autobiography) to see how he changed over time. I would contend that this was also reflected in his philosophies, as you can also detect his changing perspectives in his various writings. So do the bios before reading his writings.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aleister Crowley (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL