The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aleister Crowley (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Dmkraig,
For his time I believe Crowley was indeed more 'enlightened' than many, though he was also less 'enlightened' than others. I may try and look up some homophobic comments, although I don't care to reread my entire collection to find them. If I can't then assume I replace anti-semite for homophobe.
I believe that one example was in a personal letter (that has been published, obviously) about Victor Neuburg. It may well be that he was not homophobic and simply used homophobic statements statements to insult others and push their buttons. Still you might defend someone using racist language as not really being a racist, but simply trying to instinctively press peoples buttons; however, at least where I live, that arguement wouldn't fly.
This is tangential, but in responding I was reminded of Crowley, In "confessions," referring to himself as the "worlds greatest feminist." That always makes me laugh.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
karvis
View Profile
Regular user
spain
133 Posts

Profile of karvis
Dear friends,
just a question about this man, and sorry for my big unknowledge about him.

I have a "discusssion" about him with a friend. I have reed your posts, the wikipedia and all I know is he was an esoteric man, but not a magician,
my freind says that wrote more tahn 50 books about magic tricks, and he was a well performed.
I have read nothing about that, only he was in "black" magic, strange things and his own philosophy about life and so on.

please, can you tell me if he was a magician, or is for the bizarrist a good example to study and inspiration

thanks
ico
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
109 Posts

Profile of ico
Your friend is mistaken.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Well the Star Ruby "Trick" is pretty good...

And I suppose "The Book of the Law" is as good a "book test" as you can get, in some sense...

I'd be willing to wager cash money that Mr. Crowley wasn't above using the artifices of conjuring if it suited his needs to do so, but no, he wasn't a "conjurer" in the sense that we use the word.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Karvis,
Crowley did not do magic tricks. He did (or thought he did, depending on your beliefs) real magic. He was a pioneer in spirituality, metaphysics and mysticism.
Since a lot of bizarre magick is based on occultism, yes Crowley is good for study and inspiration, but only if you are willing to put in the time to study and understand a complex figure.
If you really want to find out more about Crowley, re-read this thread and pick some of the recommended books, they're all good.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
karvis
View Profile
Regular user
spain
133 Posts

Profile of karvis
Thanks,
that is what I wanted to know.
celticninja
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of celticninja
I like mixing Crowley into my Outlaw Effects, as many people know his name and it adds to the realism. For those who know some dates do match to a certain Luna. So just perhaps a Legend is born.
Live Long and Prosper!

D.

Arcane Performer
http://www.thehauntedcottage.com/
http://ghostsandmurder.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aleister Crowley (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL