The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why Psychological Forces works? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
I wondering...
I'm a psychology student and I'm studying the priming as a social cognitive factor

What´s your opinion? and scientific facts opinion?

thanks
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
swiss_magician
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
161 Posts

Profile of swiss_magician
I am wondering...

What does 'social cognitive factor' exactly means?
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Lol
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On 2009-11-19 04:13, swiss_magician wrote:
I am wondering...

What does 'social cognitive factor' exactly means?

jaja

maybe its a traduction problem... but if you study social psychology you can understand
Pablo
Performer and Author

www.mentalismcenter.com

www.arkanosophy.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
What exactly does "traduction" mean?

j
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Traduction is a perfectly cromulent word John.
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 21:13, Amirá wrote:
I wondering...
I'm a psychology student and I'm studying the priming as a social cognitive factor

What´s your opinion? and scientific facts opinion?

thanks

Hi,

good question. I behave like priming is useful. It is another vehicle for suggestion. I'd be interested in seeing the results of your research. Although myths have served me well in the past I am always happy to shake them off.

You could look at this from many angles, from the social cognitve perspective, neurological patterns, memory,and more.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
piraino
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of piraino
"Traduction" would appear to be the French word for "translation". I think we have a little bit of a language barrier here, on a few different levels.

From a quick Google search it sounds like social cognitive theory is how environment, people and behavior affect each other and result in certain patterns of behavior. So he's asking how priming can play into that.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2009-11-19 07:17, phillsmiff wrote:
Traduction is a perfectly cromulent word John.

The closest I can get to "Traduction" is:

Noun: traducian

1. One who believes that a child's soul is inherited from its parents

J
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Language aside here...when we say psychological forces, do we mean cultural archetypes instead?

because, a psychological force to me, means applying psychological techniques verbally - to make someone say or think of a certain word...

we may use those techniques to eliminate other words, but the actual act of getting someone to think of circle/triangle...isnt (to me) a psychological force, its a cultural preference, something most likely thought of/named...

we can of course apply other non-verbal things to help ramp the odds in our favour...

there's also the acronym FSG, in naked mentalism, I can't remember what it stands for, but it explains how/why it works in the first book...
I've asked to be banned
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On 2009-11-19 08:24, IAIN wrote:
when we say psychological forces, do we mean cultural archetypes instead?

because, a psychological force to me, means applying psychological techniques verbally - to make someone say or think of a certain word...

we may use those techniques to eliminate other words, but the actual act of getting someone to think of circle/triangle...isnt (to me) a psychological force, its a cultural preference, something most likely thought of/named...

that's my point

The priming that received people in the daily experiences affects his decisions.
So PF had a cultural factor
Pablo
Performer and Author

www.mentalismcenter.com

www.arkanosophy.com
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
There are several methods for attaining a PF, obviously, but most of them, I believe, have to do with "association". The subconscious deals in the language of association, and that's pretty much all it does. The memory of the brain stores data, the subconscious creates associations between that data, and the conscious mind is our navigation through the memory, motor, and sense parts of the brain.

I believe PF work primarily because of associations made by our subconscious through our experience growing up in a particular culture. When we give part of that association in the presentation, their subconscious automatically brings to mind what is associated with it. That feels to the spec like they are receiving some kind of telepathy.

My favorite method for psych forcing is kind of the opposite, where you steer people away from choices instead of draw them to it. Any mention of a choice or anything that makes them think you are trying to force a possibility makes them stay away.

The other main part of PF is knowing how the brain goes through making a decision. Like the fact that most people choose the 3rd option of 4 when laid out in a row from left to right. The idea being that most people will process the options from left to right because that's how we read. The first is too obvious, the second is a bit too soon, the third is right on since it is hidden by one more which is on the end and thus too obvious as well. Or maybe we immediately discount the first and last as being too obvious and thus choose between the inner-two, but don't want to choose the 2nd because it's the first one we consider so we go with the 3rd. The 2nd is just too close to the left for comfort. We want a little more distance.

Then, of course, there's the hidden influence of miming and other cloaked suggestion that our conscious mind doesn't catch but our subconscious does. Again, I believe that triggers whatever the subconscious associates with that suggestion and leads them to choose it.

That's it. That's my opinion of why they work. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why Psychological Forces works? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL