The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Soft vs supersoft (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jhudsy
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of jhudsy
Hi all,

I've (finally) got hold of the Spongeball toolkit. It came with a bunch of soft spongeballs. I'm having difficulty with some of the vanishes, as the balls seem a bit too "bouncy", and I can't get a proper clip on them. A friend told me I should try get hold of some supersoft sponge balls as these will be easier to clip etc. Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks!
olaf911
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
104 Posts

Profile of olaf911
My 2 cent:

I have been where you are now. Clipping the sponges will in fact be easier with supersoft ones. If you feel more comfortable with supersoft sponges, then go for them. I did, and I am perfectly happy with them. The only drawback I found is, that one type of appearance (clipped between the tips of the fingers) is not so fast as desirable because of the softness of the sponges. But this drawback does not matter for me.

And I like 2" sponges best. If you can handle bigger sponges, then smaller ones are easy for you.

Hope that helps.
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
My 1.5 cents:

I very recently got a spongeball toolkit, too - and developed a VERY simple "one in the hand, two in the pocket" kind of thing. I used a CP to perform the vanish . . .
I'm a Magician playing the part of an Actor
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
267 Posts

Profile of tstark
A tip from Goshman many millenia ago is to grip a spongeball between the thumb and fingers of both hands and pull apart with the objective of tearing the interior of the ball. Do not pull so hard as to tear pieces from the exterior of the ball, you only want to tear the interior of the ball. Continue several times and you should feel the ball soften to some degree.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
And as you use them, they do become softer. Have you tried rinsing them a few times, squeezing them out and drying them? That also seems to make them a bit softer.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
The problem I have with SS is that when you or a spectator opens your/their hand with them in it, they come out limp. The regular sponge balls practically leap out of their hands, which makes for a nicer showing. It leaves the impression that they barely fit in their hands. Especially if you do an ending like Eugene Burger's with 18+ balls in the spectator's hand. Smile
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
When there is a choice, I take the super soft.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I highly recommend the little extra work it takes to get comfortable with regular sponge balls.

When I was working a lot of close-up shows I inadvertently took four 2" super soft balls with me to a show..... I had packed up at my then magic shop in San Diego and grabbed the wrong box of new balls, etc.

The VERY first spectator I worked my sponge routine for said, "Oh, they work because they are so soft they just squeeze together!" That was it. I knew from previous experience that it would happen.....just had hoped once I realized what I had that it would not happen so fast! Put the balls away and just did other material.

Spectator's are not stupid. I know lots of guys like and use super soft, but I have never found it to be nearly as powerful as regular sponge.

That said there is one use for super soft that really rocks and that's when you want to produce a large load of say 20-50 1" balls. Secret is to dampen the sponge first. Squeeze as much water out of them as possible. They will now compress down, down, down and still spring open violently, etc. The secret of how to have them all compressed and ready at hand when you need them is another story ......

Best,
Brad Burt
krowboom
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago area
233 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I don't think it makes any difference to the spectator whether they are soft or super soft. They know they are sponge balls. Whether you use super soft or soft should really depend on what you're most comfortable with.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2009-11-19 22:43, Father Photius wrote:
And as you use them, they do become softer. Have you tried rinsing them a few times, squeezing them out and drying them? That also seems to make them a bit softer.

I seem to remember that the super soft sponge balls will actually be a little larger than they started out AFTER you've just washed them...

Julie
krowboom
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago area
233 Posts

Profile of krowboom
They're a little larger after you wash them but after they totally dry out they go back to their original size. Washing them does restore and freshen them up though.
jhudsy
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of jhudsy
Hi All,

Thanks for the very useful advice; I ended up getting a set of standard and supersoft sponges, and am practicing with each on different days, when its time to perform in front of people, I'll hopefully be comfortable with both types, and then see which I'll stick with based on reactions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Soft vs supersoft (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL