The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Venting for 10-13 year olds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Interesting challenge (at least for myself it is). Even a script aimed at an older level age group can be a challenge as this age range tends to want to prove to their friends that they are "smart" and know it's just a "puppet.

Anyone out there able to share expereinces and suggestions would be most welcome to do so herea on this post.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
"So far", I haven't had any trouble with the age you mentioned.

From 5th graders to 8th graders, vent seems to be really cool. Thanks to those that are keeping vent in the public eye.

I have done parties for 5th graders as well as puppet workshops for middle schools. (12-14)

At one point, I ask him if he knows what a puppet is. He gets help from the class, then I mention (turning to look at him) that he is a puppet.

Nigel responds.."HOW RUDE!"

In any group there might be someone who points out the puppet or the it's a trick thing. This can quickly turn ugly, but it does not have to.

Harris
still too old to know everything....
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Jonathan,
I think the key is connecting with the audience at the start. Once they like you, things go a lot easier and they won't be confrontational. Another method I use is to keep the pace moving. They are less likely to interupt if they are afraid they will miss something.
Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks Tom and Harris, for your input.

The challenge for me is that I need to re-work my material for older kids. Singing the ABCs will not be a hit, but singing Those were the days as a duet, (like I do for adults) should work.

Mentalism effects, where my figure reads their minds should prove fun.

I have some re-writing to do... Smile

Jonathan
Jonathan
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I remember when I was in junior high school, we had a special assembly to see a magician/puppeteer.

I was excited because I was one myself, and it was hard to see other people work in my town. We had a magician, Chuck Larkey, who also owned the magic shop, but as far as I knew, I was the only puppeteer.

This guy was from out of town. Big handlebar mustache. Traveled with his wife.
He did a few tricks, then hauled out the puppet stage and did a genuine, authentic Punch and Judy show, complete with antique Italian puppets!

I was thrilled (and making notes!)

My classmates not so much. They jeered.
You see, at that age, they are anxious to prove their "adulthood," and such things as this were deemed kiddy-entertainment, on a level with Bunny Rabbit and Mister Moose.

My own shows, done for schoolmates in talent assemblies and for dances and the like were generally well-received, because the adult authority figures tended to be the butt of the jokes...but in a gentle way...which did not offend the teachers and the principal (Although, in the principal's case, I could be a little more insulting, because the jokes went over his head).

So...that age range will accept humor that makes adults (or the adult vent) the butt of jokes. Love to hear teachers' names mentioned in the script. Love to be "in on" things...but will turn on you if they think you are trying to label them "children."

Sure wish I knew now, all these years later, who that Punch and Judy magician was. He did a *** good show.
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Oops. Forgot to sign that one.

--Philip
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Guess that word that closely resembles the living arrangements of beavers isn't allowed.
Hm.
Oh well! Context is everything.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks for your input and sharing your experiences, Philip.

In addition to high school age audiences, my immediate concern is towards engaging 8-13 year olds in my routines. Again, I realize that scripting and weaving in current interests and concerns of this age group are the key (as well as being likable and engaged with the kids prior and during the routine(s).

Keep the ideas, suggestions and experiences coming...

Jonathan
Jonathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Venting for 10-13 year olds (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL