The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Magic awards?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Fabricem
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Fabricem
Hey but the Show will be aired 23 of november or I mistake?
I know about 19 of november but somewere I read about change date on 23,
any news?
Mad Jack
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Mad Jack
I loved seeing Morgan on the show, but unfortunately I thought that the special for the most part was pretty bad. There were definately some great acts, don't get me wrong, but it's a shame how far our art has fallen from the days of "The World's Greatest Magic" specials. It seemed strange that some well known illusions were being done by other performers, I.E. Hobson's cremation (I doubt it's his, but I believe he used it in Before Your Very Eyes) by Ed Alonzo, and Gabriels monk robe aerial escape (sorry, don't know the proper name of it) being done by Katalin, but that has been explained earlier in this post. I did love Barry and Stuart, but I don't know for the life of me why Franz would choose to end his jet engine escape the way he did.

Just my random thoughts

Mad Jack
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Mad Jack,

Ed Alonzo bought the prop (Hobson's cremation) from Mark Kalin.
Katalin Is Joseph Gabriels wife that's why she performed his Monk illusion.
Both of these illusions are classic illusions so it's not that there are signature piece but I agree that it is a bit strange for us magicians to see them performed by other people than we are used to.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3407 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
My first "Oh Brother!" point came when the Twins made the decision to select a volunteer (?) from the audience to put into their (?) "Clearly Impossible".
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
Regarding that "Clearly Impossible", the twin who returned from stage left with the leg box nearly revealed just how "Possible" it was Smile
bp
View Profile
Regular user
ENGLAND
169 Posts

Profile of bp
Nearly revealed!!! Jame FX get a grip! I have seen the Twins a few times live, it's a great trick and they take it to the edge. Would a member of audience see anything? No!!! It's not a TV show for people in magic, but for the general pubic! I thought the volunteer thing was a good idea and worked with the general pubic, Stanyon.

We all should be thanking The Twins, Marco Tempest, Stuart and Barry, Katalin, Ed Alonzo, Morgan, etc..

Can't wait to see it.

Well done everyone in the show for keeping good magic on TV...
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
3407 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2009-11-22 13:41, bp wrote:
No!!! It's not a TV show for people in magic, but for the general pubic! I thought the volunteer thing was a good idea and worked with the general pubic, Stanyon.

The general public must be more stupid than I think. Oh well, what do I know?
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
jamieallan
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of jamieallan
I guess when you see a magic TV show it is very easy to comment on the magicians and magic they do from the comfort of your PC or Mac being a magician or illusionists.
HERE IS A THOUGHT!!!!Why not ask the people the magic show was made for what they thought...you should all step back and view it from the eyes of the general public....

For what I have seen on youtube...the people that won the awards deserve them and you must all remember what they performed is a very small part of their AWARD WINNING acts!

Perhaps some of you are seeing these acts with the eyes of a green eyed monster...if you don't like what they do, go try and win the awards yourself!

Congratulations the winners of 2009/10 Worlds magic awards!
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
As much as I don't enjoy getting involved with over-emotional posts, Jamie's and BP's were too interesting to me not to pass up.

To BP- I'm ultimately curious what you thought was so "To the Edge" about their version of Clearly Impossible? From what I could see from watching it again is they brought up an "audience member", asked her for her name and where she's from, put her on the table, in the boxes, and did Clearly Impossible almost exactly as Jonathan Pendragon first did, but with less energy than Jonathan. No advanced choreography, direction, or plot line. So I'm honestly curious... what was so "edgy"? Mowhawks does not an edgy performance make.

To Jamie- Gettin' a tad touchy here, aren't you Jamie? We're expressing an opinion based on what we saw. Some of my friends, who are indeed non-magicians, watched the special and felt very similar things towards the Twins' act. But then again, they (and I) feel the same way when Criss Angel brings a "spectator at random from the audience" and does something painfully obviously pre-arranged.

Also, you have to take the Awards Show Premise with a grain of salt. It's not exactly FISM, ya know? I'm glad magic is on TV, but I honestly felt the premise subjected us to way too many unfunny moments with semi-celebrities.

Overall, I guess what I'm trying to say is relax. We're here to talk about magic. As a professional performer, I've won multiple awards and am quite proud of them, but don't feel a need to get into a huff about them... especially here. There were only two very emotional posts on this topic, and it was both of yours. Everyone else was very calm and quite logical with their points, both good and bad.

I also find it interesting that your posts are quite similar in tone and structure. Both 4 lines. Both very emotional. Both congratulating the performers in the last line. Both similar number of posts and both with no picture or any previous posts in the last 30 days. I just found that quite interesting.

Stay cool, you two. It's the internet. Just breathe and we'll all make it out in one piece.
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
bp
View Profile
Regular user
ENGLAND
169 Posts

Profile of bp
Sorry my posts are always like that, as I'm a passionate person.

Just don't like the negativity when magic needs programmes and performer like
We saw on The World magic award!!!!!

Don't want to put a photo on the site as I'm a teacher and the kids might find me out !!!!
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
Thank you Daniel, I couldn't have responded any better myself Smile Honestly I never imagined that a mere observation could elicit such angry responses. Wow. So have I been "flamed"? I do hope so because I understand that's part of the initiation process here at the Café, lol Smile
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
3407 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
James FX,

:firedevil:

There...now you've really been flamed!

Three more posts and you can join the illuminati in the clubhouse.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

patrickske
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of patrickske
Franz Harary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCqLACI1v9w

Michael Finney:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmVlfbsEM6Q&feature=channel

I feel bad this kind of shows never gets on television in Holland.

Grtz Patrick
Magic Creates Life
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
I never even knew it was coming on. Then again, I don't have the channell it aired on.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
patrickske
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of patrickske
Here is the whole show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9TToyaxr6I

Click on Part 2 etc.

Grtz Patrick
Magic Creates Life
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Nice that magic is on tv, we all wantg that. But if the program is going with an "awards" theme then it should have magic stars like Penn and Teller, Ricky Jay, Copperfield, Blaine, Angel, Siegfried & Roy, to give credibility. Award shows for film, television, music, always have stars and legends the public knows to bring viewers and elevate the status of the production. I watched with some non-magic friends, none thought this was a legitimate awards show but they saw it as a somewhat cheesy premise to present magic acts. That's okay I guess but I feel like there should be a REAL awards telecast that honors nominees as well as winners and gives our art form the respect it deserves.
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
Quote:
On 2009-11-22 17:07, bp wrote:
Sorry my posts are always like that, as I'm a passionate person.

Just don't like the negativity when magic needs programmes and performer like
We saw on The World magic award!!!!!

Don't want to put a photo on the site as I'm a teacher and the kids might find me out !!!!

No harm, no foul BP.

JamesFX- No problem. I don't write on the Café much, but when I do, I like it to be somewhat relevant. It doesn't always work out that way... but I give it a shot. Smile
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
jamieallan
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of jamieallan
Daniel....I was not Gettin' a tad touchy...I was expressing an opinion based on what I saw! This programme shows magic in a good light we need more programmes like this on the box....or would you rather see some mask idiot perform some magic and illusions! Its just my non tad touchy opinion what do I know.......

Cheesy... well that's the USA for you I guess but I like it! And I think it was on a good time slot and on Thanks giving weekend.....

JA
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Disappointed that they announed the "clear" sawing in half as never been done before when the Pendragon's had already performed it on a TV special. Otherwise, I thought the show was pretty good.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
magicdeere
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of magicdeere
Does everybody realize this is on the same channel as the bogus Magi?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Magic awards?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL