The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Chinese Face Reading (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start learning the basics of Chinese face reading. Just a basic introduction. I really like the idea of a system I can use without even asking a persons name, or asking them to hold out their hand.

Thanks
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I can see your point, but the beauty of a palm reading is that you hold the ladies hand, and that creates the sense of intimacy that can make the reading more impactful.
Its great to be able to do a reading propless, so good luck with your search.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Looking at someones face openly can create a similar atmosphere I would imagine. Certainly eye power techniques in hypnosis do.

You just like holding their hands Smile

Ant
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Hi Seadog,

Yes, face reading allows to a very clean presentation of character reading or mind reading.

“The Wisdom of Your Face” by Jean Haner is an easy, direct book on the matter.

As soon as you start reading about this, you realize that most of it is pretty common sense. We all have an experiential understanding of what is the meaning of the eyes, the nose, the mouth (pay attention to all popular sayings referring to these body parts); and we all have an experiential understanding of what is the meaning of big, small, wide, narrow, close, or apart. We only have to put everything together.

I like to think of it as if the mind is sculpting the face. So, you can actually read in the face these thought patterns the person has been engaging all along her life.

Best,

EE
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1880 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
That was really well put
julieannjohnson
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of julieannjohnson
Chinese Face Reading and Euro-American Psysiognomy (Face and Body Reading) rely on different generalities that are built up from observation of common facial types in each racial group. Chinese Face Reading and Psysiognomy are not the same, nor are they entirely compatible with one another. What works for one genetic group may not work for another.

The genetic-generalities differences in body-reading systems are most obvious in Palmistry, where the Simian Crease, so common in Asian and Native American hands, is perceived as a worrisome anomoly by traditional European-trained hand readers, due to its rarity in European genetic stock and its association there with and assortment of trisomy birth defects. \

Genetics aside, there are also simply culural differences in reading systems from various parts of the world, as for instance, in the way that Euro-American A-1 numerology and Chinese Lo-Shu ("tic-tac-toe") numerology are not the same nor exactly compatible with one another.

That having been noted, try this site for an extremely detailed free introduction to the subject of Chinese Face Reading:

http://www.classic-feng-shui.com/chinese-face-reading.html
cassius2m
View Profile
New user
Simi Valley, CA
68 Posts

Profile of cassius2m
There is a DVD called "How to Read Faces: The Ultimate Advantage". It is available to rent from Netflix.

The only really bad things about this DVD are the title and description because both try to portray the DVD as being about facial non-verbal cues like Paul Ekman's work.

Other than that it is a good basic instructional DVD on Face readings

-Clay
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
TonyB2009
I totally agree with you on the intamicy of palmistry, that's a big plus for it. I'm thinking of this as something that might be able to stand alone in certain situations or augment another reading system, the way Richard Webster uses numerology in, well, ...everything.

enriqueenriquez
Thank you, I just requested this book from my library.

julieannjohnson
So in your opinon would it be better to learn european physiogomy, since most of the people I interact with are of European descent (or African descent, what are your thoughts on that?) If so, do you have any recomendations on learning that?
Also, does Euro-American A-1 numerology refer to the Euro-American 3x3 numerology square that Richard Webster teaches (which is different than the chinese 3x3 square) or does it refer to "standard" numerology with Life path, expression, soul urge, et cetera.. I'm only a beginner but I have found the latter to compliment 3x3 square method pretty well.
The site looks very good thank you.

cassius2m
I might look into that. I had heard of the DVD, but the series is a bit expensive considering I don't know if I'll end up using the system. Maybe it's time fo rme to finally sign up for Netflix. Smile

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

julieannjohnson
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Courtney asked:

"in your opinon would it be better to learn european physiogomy, since most of the people I interact with are of European descent (or African descent, what are your thoughts on that?) If so, do you have any recomendations on learning that?"

Neither system works well for people outside that system. The European system in particular is openly negative when describing the supposed personality characteristics of subjects with Semitic or African faces. I studied both and decided to create my own take on it, using common sense memories of faces I have seen, plus analysis of clothing, body posture, and other cues, plus some Cradle-to-Grave ideas to craft a reading.

Courtney asked:

"does Euro-American A-1 numerology refer to the Euro-American 3x3 numerology square that Richard Webster teaches (which is different than the chinese 3x3 square) or does it refer to "standard" numerology with Life path, expression, soul urge, et cetera?"

What Webster teaches and what you call the 3x3 is what I used to call "the Australian Lo Shu variation." It dates back to the 1920s or so, and obviously was developed by some Australian reader (Webster is in New Zealand) who knew the Lo Shu but decided to work from a linear 1-2-3 square rather than the Lo Shu or magic square of Saturn. I prefer the magic square (the original Chinese version rather than the "Australian" variation) because you have the added benefit of telling the subjct about magic squares. The 3x3 has also been marked as "Karmic Numerology."

The A-1 is as you said, the name, birthdate, destiny, etc. worked out with the numerals 1 -9, somethimes with 11 and 22 held separate and not summed up.

I treat them as different systems and never try to mix them. If I use one for personality analysis, I'll use the other to derive lucky numbers for betting.

Now, as a side-note, I have noticed you are asking about a lot of different reading methods lately, and I applaud your interest in learning these multifarious forms of divination. Each has its cultural and aethetic niche, and with several of them in your repertory, you can tailor your work to suit people of many ages, nationalities, and ethnicities, according to their expectations and beliefs. Each one of them is grounded in a basic understanding of human nature, and each one allows the reader to play upon the pobabilities of variation within a generally homogenous population.

You did not ask my opinion, but of them all, I would recommend palmistry as the most versatile, intimate, and personal divination system, followed by tarot card reading which is attractive due to its pretty pictures and the broader scope it gives for moving beyond the subject's life to focus on questions the subjct has about his or her friends, cohorts, and acquaintances.
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
891 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Incidentally, for what it's worth, there is a type of reading known as Podoscopy which is the readings of the soles of the feet. (Not unlike palmistry being the reading of the palms of the hands.) Podoscopy was also originated in China.
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
In my experience it is palm and tarot, all the way. Now that I have that for a beginning maybe I can sneak in this late-night thought without it getting deleted...

You can read tarot, palms, or...genitals. There is actually a book on this (I have not seen it) published by the now-defunct Loompanics publishing company. It is called, "GENITOLOGY Reading the Genitals" by Dr. Seymore Klitz and Dr. Ima Peeper. You can still find it used cheaply at amazon and other places. Here is a description...

http://www.fsbookco.com/Genitology.html

Perfect for parties.
Brane
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
272 Posts

Profile of Brane
I had this same idea some years ago. Locally, there is a woman who reads faces, a process I've viewed as similar to personality readings with graphology. Rose Rosetree. She has a book: The Power of Face Reading. Somewhere I have a copy still. Haven't read it recently, but originally thought it quite accessible and clearly written.
I realized that it was going to require a lot of work learning a completely new skill, and decided not to do so.
I can't give any expert opinion on how well this book follows traditional Chinese face reading, (mian xiang), but it does seem a coherent structure that can generate meaningful character analyses. Rose is quite popular!
There is also a newer book out that I've only glanced at; 'Your Face Tells All' (Author's last name is 'Kanto') which has a series of celebrity photos with comments about the famous faces which looked interesting to use in learning this.
brane
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Wow, I don't think I could convince my wife to let me study genitology! Smile strangers feet, ok I could maybe get her to go for that, palms sure, genitals ...no, I don't think I'll even ask.

julieannjohnson
Thank you for your comments, the differences in reading for people with different cultures and heritages is an important comment and I will try to keep it mind as I look into various methods.

Brane
I actually just had someone mention Rose Rosetree to me, so I will check that out for sure. I'll look for the other one too, I like the idea of sample celebrity photos.

Thanks everyone.

charlesgmorgan
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of charlesgmorgan
Quote:
On 2009-11-20 16:41, cassius2m wrote:
There is a DVD called "How to Read Faces: The Ultimate Advantage". It is available to rent from Netflix.

The only really bad things about this DVD are the title and description because both try to portray the DVD as being about facial non-verbal cues like Paul Ekman's work.

-Clay

You might do well to check on the reviews of this DVD, as posted on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Faces-Ult......points=1

They are universally negative.

Cheers ....... Charles
julieannjohnson
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Thanks, Charles Morgan, for pointing out those reviews. I have not seen this particular book, but one of the reviews touched on exactly the problem I was trying to describe to Courtney -- the genetic bias in systems of face-reading that can lead to a "bad" reading. One of the reviewers wrote this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Not As Expected, September 7, 2009
By Scott Sisco "Buyer Beware" (Carson City, NV)
- See all my reviews (REAL NAME)
The product name and subsequent narrative on this
product leads one to believe that you will learn
how to read facial expressions of those you deal
with versus a book about genetic facial structure
having little to do with understanding those that
you're dealing with.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The reviewer's complaint is that this is "a book about genetic facial structure" rather than a book teaching how to "read facial expressions of those you deal with." The complaint is a valid one when levelled against most antiquated or mono-cultural systems of face reading or physiognomy.

This is why I advise any reader who chooses to learn and present face reading to the public to study and absorb all of the face reading systems, get a good handle on the cultural and genetic limitations of those systems (including built in race prejudices, which are often not very subtle at all!), glean the best terminological lines and script fragments possible from all systems, throw out the rest, then learn to study facial expressions (not features but expressions), add some basic medical knowledge of facial structure, and work what you have learned, plus as much salvageable face-reading terminology as you can memorize, into a regular Cradle-to-Grave reading.

Am I saying that readers should abandon all facial-structure marker systems? No, I am not. But there are better ways to use facial structure in a reading than by memorizing one ethnic group's prejudices against the noses of another ethnic group.

For instance, fetal alcohol syndrome is often visible on the face -- look it up, read about it -- and you can score a hit by talking about the subject having come from an alcoholic family.

Likewise, a repaired cleft palate is often slightly visible and will score a hit if you talk about a difficult health issues in early childhood. Note too that left palate often accompanies other mid-line birth defects -- read up on it for further details -- and you may be able to score even deeper, almost miraculous-seeming hits by going out on a limb about childhood surgeries to the heart or "something about ... I'm getting that you had surgery in your past ... you were very, very young, just a baby ... the doctors ... repaired? ... fixed? ... something... here (gesturing downward from nose to abdomen) ... along the mid-line of your body..."

Finally, be aware of plastic surgery when doing face readings. Read up on it. Check it out. Be aware of what to look for, and say your piece accodingly.
cassius2m
View Profile
New user
Simi Valley, CA
68 Posts

Profile of cassius2m
Quote:
On 2009-11-21 11:12, charlesgmorgan wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-11-20 16:41, cassius2m wrote:

-Clay

You might do well to check on the reviews of this DVD, as posted on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Faces-Ult......points=1

They are universally negative.

Cheers ....... Charles

Yes, but all 5 of the reviews are negative because the people expected a dvd on facial nonverbal communication like Paul Ekman's book Unmasking the Face. None of the reviewers were looking for a DVD on Face readings

-Clay
julieannjohnson
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

I use medical and ethnic generalities based on facial structure type, over/under weight, hyper/hypo thyroidism, cheekbone structure (NA descendency versus not), hair texture / colour (when not permed, striaghtened or dyed), etc.

For instance, it is ALWAYS a hit to discern Native American blood in a white or black person, and your best guess will always be "Cherokee or Choctaw" if they have an Irish or Scottish surname or are thin and gracile.

Diabetes / high blood pressure / circulatory problems (be vague) goes with soft overweightness in those with African or Native American / Latino skin tones -- and requires more overweightness to manifest in a European skin tone.

Fewer softly overweight Jews or Arabs will have diabetes compared to African Americans or Native American / Latinos.

With overweight Ashkenazy Jews you can do better to guess high cholesterol or heart disease, but be sure to use vague terminology, including the all-importantly vague "circulatory condition" (avoid mention of ovarian cancer and brast cancer -- too scary) and emphasize modern medical helps to "control" the condition.

Scots-Irish (Protestant Irish) / Native American combos (including those with either European or African skin tones and NA cheekbones) will almost always (literally 99.9% of the time) result in a hit if you mention "alcoholism in the family."

Fetal alcohol syndrome gives a high forehead, wide-set smallish eyes, short nose, thin lips, and small chin. Try an image search like this:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&so......=&aqi=g4

I probably should write a book on this...

Sources? Well, 50 years of doing it, I think, plus constant reviews of medical books and medical web sites -- I am a voracious reader, but don't keep medical text books on hand, just read them in book stores.

Good luck.
julieannjohnson
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Here is a great visual guide to fetal alcohol syndrome spectrum of varying degrees of severity, as seen in the face, ears, and palms of the hand:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050715/279.html

I find this kind of thing more useful in my work than I find mono-cultural (Chinese, European, whatever) theory charts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Chinese Face Reading (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL