The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pardon me, sir... » » How did you get your first watch? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
326 Posts

Profile of jiayi
I have been really into watch stealing these days. Watched most of the watch stealing dvds out there and have been practicing on friends and family. Yet I still have the milestone to conquer - getting the first watch from a stranger. I do restaurant work but don't really want to practice on the customers there (actually I tried but immediately shied away).

How did you get your first watch?
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Dear Jiayi (...is that your "real" name?!?)

How do you steal your first watch from a stranger?

To coin Nike's slogan... Just "Do it"!

Hope you find this simple, yet serious, suggestion to be helpful --or at least food for thought.

I stole my first watch back in 1984, when a fellow street performer (mime, mentalist and discreetly intelligent fellow Café member)was kind enough to suggest it would be a strong add-on for my act. He was then kind enough to take the time to show me (in confidence) his methods.

Granted, my street persona was very touch-feely-fun with my audiences, I wore a bowler hat and tailcoat (Chaplinesque) and so I clearly I "looked" like a performer (not a "real thief")... so I got away with it, once, twice and on and on it went.

I am now the proud owner of one of the largest specialty watch shops in North America! Smile

Best wishes.

Let us know how it goes once you start.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
326 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Oh hi Jonathan, thanks for replying to my thread. I thought no one will. lol.

Thanks for sharing the tips and your story. I have been practicing the watch steal for a few weeks now. And have successfully got my first watch a couple weeks ago in one of my restaurant gigs. Actually I have taken a few more after that. It has now become one of my favourite effects to do =) I got caught a few times too. Not a big deal, every time I got caught is a learning lesson.

I now can only take leather-straps. The problem now is sometimes it could be hard to find one, especially doing a stage show. How do you find your target?

and yes, jiayi is my real name, Chinese. hehe.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Glad to hear you are going out and just "doing it" at your restaurant gigs, jiayi.

If a little bit of what I shared helped you in some way, I am that much happier.

And that you seem to know how to get out of "it" if you get caught. That's great.

You are right to point out that more an more these days, leather watch bands are becoming harder to find amongst our audience members.

Of course, you should be scoping the crowd out to find out who is actually wearing a leather watch strap prior to your show. This takes away all the guesswork, and allows you to concentrate on the performance aspects of your show and audience interaction/connection. I often scope my leather watch bands out, pre-show, by performing interactive mingling magic during cocktails or table-to-table. In this way I know for sure that the volunteer I will choose for the watch steal has the right type of watch. If "no one has a leather band, you could always carry a cheap (but nice looking) watch with a leather band to the show and give it to your targeted volunteer prior to the show, asking them to remove their and put yours on their wrist, telling them it is a temporary gift till after the show,that it is very precious to you, and warning them to be very careful not to lose it.

In this way, when you steal it off their wrist during the show and point out that they are missing "something" or ask them for the time, etc., they will more likely react to the loss of this loaned (valued)watch which is not theirs, but one that they have been asked to guard safely.

Frankly, I have learned that --unless you bill yourself strictly as a Pickpocket it is better to not steal a watch during your show, rather than try to steal a non-leather type and fumble (worse yet, struggle), etc. Or, better "not" to steal a watcc from a listless, lifeless volunteer than to bring up a lively cooperative and fun volunteer that will help you, your routine and your show to shine.

Basically, IMHO, at the risk of being repetitive, what I am suggesting is this... More important that claiming victory over stealing a watch, it is much more vital to choose a superb volunteer for the routine --the routine where you would "normally" steal the watch --a volunteer that will react to what you do on stage, play along with you, be animated, etc, and is connected with the other audience members ((well-liked and respected, but not so egotistical as to aim to take try to take control of the action and pull the spot light from you. This (choosing the "right" volunteer) will leave your audience remembering your show positively for many years to come. Of course, they will also remember that you stole "the watch" if you succeed to do so, but this, for my own show and stage persona is the icing on the cake. BTW, if I cannot steal a watch, I "may" borrow their watch during their routine and make it vanish, then reappear, etc. They will still remember "the watch thing" and perhaps mis-recall years later, that you "stole it". If I cannot steal the watch because there are no leather bands, I will surely steal something (wallet, eyeglasses, pens, handkerchief, cell phone, etc. So I will still leave the impression that I am a bit mischievous and a pickpocket --since that is the persona I sell to the client.

Hope this added info helps.
I am not saying it is the ONLY way to handle the situation, but it has become "my" way.

Jonathan
Jonathan
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
326 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Hi Johnathan, thanks again for sharing all of the wonderful tips. you are exactly right, picking a good volunteer is half of the battle. I did two stage shows last couple of days. Luckily I was able to find somebody wears leather straps, both times I got their watches but the first show the volunteer immediately noticed his watch missing (it was the first time that I tried taking a watch on the stage and I made the mistake not taking the watch right away when I had the chance). I just laughed and gave it back to him. The second time my volunteer actually had the watch on her right hand, I never practiced taking one from right hand before. It took a bit longer but I got it anyway. she had no clue and it went well when I revealed it inside a locked box. I also got another watch today at my restaurant gig. This is addictive. However, I think I need to work on my revelation now. I feel guilty to have the watch so gave it back too quickly without building up the momentum. Do you think it is better to flash the stolen watch to audience before giving it back or hide it and reveal it in some impossible location?

I think because now it is winter and people are wearing long sleeves so it is harder to spot a good watch to take. can't wait for summer. I have two strolling gigs tomorrow. more watches. hehe.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Jiayi wrote "...Do you think it is better to flash the stolen watch to audience before giving it back or hide it and reveal it in some impossible location?"
---------
To Flash or not to Flash...
Depends on your character and your style. Flashing the watch to the auience packs a triple punch (the audience is amazed and thinks it hilarious, then the volunteer --when he notices his wathc missing-- is in total disbelief, which is interesting for the audience to witness especially since they were anticipating how he might react when he finds out his watch is gone, then when you reveal the watch in an impossible locaton "everyone" is joined in the feelig disbelief, amazement (and, especially for the volunteer, relief). It all makes for good fun and strong entertainment. However, you may prefer not top flash when performing Close-up. Try both out and see what fits your style. You can see a Flash, followed by a strong volunteer reaction in one of our promo videos that can be found on the Stage Show page of our site at: http://www.maxmagician.com

Seems as if you are having strong success early on.

Congratulations.

Jonathan
Jonathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pardon me, sir... » » How did you get your first watch? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL