The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Debut (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Swami Bill
View Profile
Regular user
Le Monde
135 Posts

Profile of Swami Bill
I have worked on a set all winter and spent the last month or so (weekends and a few lunch hours) getting up the gumption to perform in a place that has actual people. This weekend I finally did it. I have a doorway show that is built around a CSB and Michael Skinner Monte routine followed by the cups and balls. I lugged my gear to a street fair and set up off to the side and I have to say IT WAS FANTASTIC!
Among the many things I learned was that it ain't like doing your set in front of the mirror at home and crowd control can make or break your tip. This is hard work. The hours standing on the pavement and the repetition and the wierdos... I'd have it no other way but everyone from 9 year olds to grizzled bikers are out to catch you.
Aside from crowd manipulation, it seems that folks on the left side of my table are harder to deal with than anywhere else. Some kid busted me on my final loads and he was 2' away on my left side. Otherwise, what a great thing.

- Bill
That's MISTER Swami Bill to you.
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
I know people will not like this, but I've always believed that performing for an audience is the best place to learn. I don't mean that we ignore preperation, that's magic suicide, but I find it really hard to learn to interact with an audience in front of the mirror or the video camera. On the streets you really need to know how to interact with the people. When you incorporate a new routine into your act it may seem weak at first but if you keep doing it you'll learn how to perform it and often your audience will give you patter materiel. Keep a notebook handy to write some things they say to you down. Keep up the good work. Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Swami Bill writes: "Among the many things I learned was that it ain't like doing your set in front of the mirror at home and crowd control can make or break your tip. This is hard work."

It is, indeed.

But, then, if it were easy, everyone would be doing it! Smile

Congratulations on your debut! Believe me, it will get easier (not a lot, but some!) Smile
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Yes, congratulations BIll!

It is hardest the first time out.

Keep performing and analysing the act. Write notes between sets, so you don't forget, and then be willing to throw out what isn't working, or is simply too much work for the reaction. Think about what it took to get set up. And what you can leave behind next time too. It is one thing to be prepared, but once you have a routine down, just take the essentials.

One again congratulations, And keep going!

But what about the hats? Did you get the tip?

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Jesse Dains
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Jesse Dains
MISTER Swami Bill

Great job! Don’t worry about the bikers, they are OK, it’s those 9 year old kids you have to watch out for.
………….Jesse
Swami Bill
View Profile
Regular user
Le Monde
135 Posts

Profile of Swami Bill
BroDavid, et.al., I actually did get the money. At $33 for for 5 hours out there it wasn't great but it was something. Of the many things that I have to improve on, turning the tip is one of the biggest. Many people smiled, laughed, nodded and kept on walking. I have a hat line at the end and my scripted show has a few references to giving me dollars sprinkled throughout. And yes... I get along with bikers just fine but those darn 9 year old kid gangs can sometimes wreck havoc. Or is that reek?
Thanks to you all here in this forum for the great info, feedback and support.

- Bill
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
It isn't so much the total that counts.... Well Yes it surely does count.... But the first few times out, it is like when you turn on the garden hose. You don't immediately get the full force of it, but if you leave it on long enough, it will Flow - rivers of Green!!

A lot of people want to prosper immediately, but prosperity it a two step process. 1. First, you survive! 2. Then you can prosper.

As has been discussed here in other threads, the hard thing is asking. You took that hard step and survived. Now, on to prospering my friend!

Well Done!

BroDavid
Alessandro Scotti
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
263 Posts

Profile of Alessandro Scotti
Swami,
congratulations for your debut! And... I love to hear those tales from the streets, keep 'em coming! Smile
Walk of Mind: the best source of bad magic
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Swami,
Congratulations! Way to go, man. We have something in common. This weekend was also my first time.

I did my first real street shows this past Sunday. I also had a great time. (Also got a sunburn.) It was a perfect situation to ease my way into street performing. A friend of mine was events coordinator for the Santa Monica Summer Solstice Festival. I got hired to perform in the kid area. I set up between a petting zoom, pony rides, water dunking (the mayor got dunked!), and those big inflatable "jumpers."
So the crowd was parents and kids. At one point, I did an original joke that carried some sexual innuendo. The parents laughed. Then they laughed harder when I said it was okay to laugh; the kid's don't get it.
There's a lot I still have to learn and put into practice, but the most important thing I learned is that I can do it. That I can have a lot of fun doing it. I got a lot of compliments. I wasn't, however, satisfied with the level of my magic, which was lower than my normal standard for some reason. I found myself reverted to simplier moves to feel safe. For example, I didn't do my wand spin vanish for the cups and balls.
One big tip I have: BRING HAND WIPES to keep your hands from getting too grimy feeling to perform well.
My friend was very happy, said he got lots of completments and that wants me for the next one. Next step, is hitting the bricks on my own w/o a fair.
Thanks to everyone who has generously offered their hard earned experience heartfelt encouragement.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5313 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
to be good at anything...well anything that's worth anything you MUST practice...how do you practice performing...not in front of your mirror....the only way to get there is to do it.....tons of shows....1000's of shows and you WILL get there....many magi...you know the ones...the ones that judge every magi that comes to town....the ones that critisize (cant spell)....they are the ones....that never have the courage to do what you did....and they never know what it takes to make a living doing magic....but you are learning....go out and do those 1000's of shows...you WILL get there...you will make $35 in one hat and have money for dinner!....

good luck
koz
Patrick McKeever
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Patrick McKeever
Swami,
Congratulations. It's a trip out there,eh?
the guys above are right about performing for a live audience every chance you get. You get very little feedback from a mirror.

I have a pretty large repertoire of ready material but every time I introduce a new effect, it falls flat until I have done it a dozen or so times, sometimes a hundred times. Repetition and feedback is definately the trick to good performing.

best of luck, Patrick
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
James in LA,

Congratulations to you also...I remember my first time doing street also..it's a thrill.

One thing you said caught my attention: "...I found myself reverted to simplier moves to feel safe..." I did the same thing.. all the slick moves I had practiced at home went right out the window in the heat of the battle!

It's a good idea to keep things simple so you can focus on what is important - interacting with the audience and entertaining them. Once you mastered those skills you can start playing with your routines, working on more difficult technical moves in order to polish them in front of an audience.

Good luck.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Swami Bill
View Profile
Regular user
Le Monde
135 Posts

Profile of Swami Bill
Jim - Congratulations! Now that I've done this for real it's amazing how much I don't know. Like the hand wipes! I thought of that too, and one reason I quit when I did was because my paws were so grimey that I could't load a ball under a cup! Fat hats to you and a fun season.

- Bill
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thank you Jim Snack and Swami Bill. I took Danny Hustle's advice and took the first dollar I made from that day--my first real day on the street--and framed it with a caption.
For the record, I got a $50 check from the city and a free dinner at a diner on Main Street and I got $30 in tips, including two $5's. It was a sparse crowd, but it was a thrill seeing dollars being put in the hat.

Another interesting thing. My gali gali cups have been a beautiful shinny copper color for months of inside practice. But in one day outside in the sun and in the hands of others being examined, they have instantly tarnished to a dark color. Maybe it was the salt air; I was about 4 blocks from the ocean?
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Great work Jim!

You are on your way, my friend!

Thanks for the update.

BroDavid
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Debut (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL