The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Double Zig Zag Routine By Taylor Reed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
This doesn't give anyone permission to do this...If you want to do this illusion, let me know by PM..

Routine: You tell the audience that this next illusion was one of the first major illusions that I ever learned... It's been in the family for some time now and I'd like to share it with ya...So you assistants roll on the old beat up looking ZZ that is made in kinda of a wood finish...They roll it on the stage right....

Now you go on to say that you need to borrow someone from the audience that would like to learn hot to become a magician...The old make a magician deal..

After the audience member comes on stage, you tell him that this is the prop that he will be using...and then your assistants roll on a brand new sharp looling ZZ to the stage left side for the magician to use....

The the magician goes on to say that since I've been doing this my entire life, well I'll be using the girl assistant and you'll be using the empty box..So do as I do..This is a do as I do effect...

The magician puts the girl in this SL ZZ illusion and the audience member is using an empty ZZ on stage right... Both magician and aud member put the two blades in the box and then go on to pull the middle box over...

Now they both turn the boxes around to the back side...The magician hits the blades one at a time on the back side of the box showing that the blades are thru...The aud member does the same....

Now the magician tells the audience member that I think that you've passed the test...Now you hear music from the twilight zone and when you turn the ZZ's around, the girl has vanished from the magicians Zig Zag and the girl assistant has appeared across the stage and is now in the audience members ZZ.

The magician helps get the girl out of the audience members ZZ and now the girl walks the helper back to the audience..

Copperfield really thought this was a cool idea..But he didn't like the ZZ part..He said what other illusion could we use to do this same effect?

I Performed this effect over 700 times in the 90's in Seoul Korea with on ly one ZZ..Girl would go in and I'd turn the box around and the twilight music would come on and then when the box would be turned around the girl was gone.

I Have my own method for making the girl vanish.

This would be great for TV and it does involve sisters...Or the wig and glasses deal..

I Hope yall like it...I had a number of requests to talk about it...Please give your comments on this.

I Had a dream of Siefgried and Roy performing this illusion.That happens to me most of the time on my stuff. I see someone performing it in my dreams.

Thank you,
Taylor Reed
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1221 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
That sounds like an awesome effect! I would love to see it! Did you tell him of that before his "Cocoon" illusion? ;-) Do you use it in your current show? What years were you in Korea?? I was there from 1996 to 1997 up in Tongduchon.
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
No I'm not using it in my current show... I've never done the entire routine, only half of it with one zz with the girl vanishing.. I performed in Korea in either 93 or 94, I'll need to look thru my stuff to find the exzact yr.
I showed this effect to David with blue prints and all before he did the special with the do as I do effect with the rope.... They were looking for a do as I do effect at the time. I presented the effect to David,Don Wane was at the meeting and Chris Kenner.. Oh did I mention Claudia, she was also at this meeting in Vegas.. Those were some good memories.
Thank you,
Taylor Reed
PS" I performed at Lotte World in Korea for 6 months with the option to stay another six months, but I turned it down and went back to Vegas.
www.taylorreed.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
The double ZZ is really a great idea, Taylor Reed.
jkmagic
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of jkmagic
What a great routine, ..... I love it.
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
I think this is one of those ideas that magicians love and general audiences don't really grasp. I would love to hear an audience member describe this illusion following a performance. I would expect that they couldn't do it. "Well he put her in a box and then she disappeared and...oh wait, there were some blades and something." I'll grant you, I ain't David Copperfield, but this doesn't work for me.
"Don't run with those..."
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I disagree ... I don't think this could be any simpler. Like most lay audiences, I love watching a Zig Zag and think this adds more to the climax with an unexpected outcome. I think a lot of illusions today have become so busy and intricate to follow that it seems over the top ... but this builds and gets me hooked nicely.

Dan.
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Thanks for all the nice comments on this effect.
I forgot to mention that it would look nicer if one of the zz middles would pull out to the stage right side and the other zz middle would pull out to the stage left side.. This would just make for a better look.

Most zz the middle pulls out to the stage right side.. So the stage left zig zag would need to be made to make for a nice look.

Kinda like my double Modern Art Illusion that I do ... I had to make a left handed modern art... IT just looks cooler that way in my opinion...If you go to my site you can see it.
http://www.taylorreed.com you can go and see a quick clip of me performing the double Modern Arts Illusion.. This is not the same Routine as mentioned above..
In this effect the girls do not vanish or switch places etc..
The Double Modern Arts are also one of my origianl versions of a Steinmeyer classic.
I would disagree with what was mentioned above also.. I think that if a girl disappears in one zz and then reappears 20 foot across the stage in the audience members zz, that it would be something that they would talk about. Then the girl walks him back to his seat... He will remember it for sure and the audience would easily remember this.. You only turn the prop around for a few seconds..
And you could just do a 360 turn and never stop at all and she would still have time to vanish and reappear..

That's the way I use to do it with the one zz vanish version..
Hitting the blades on the back of the prop is not really important..

Thanks for all the comments and opinions..
Taylor Reed
www.taylorreed.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
Great concept! It's no wonder David Copperfield thought it was great!
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
A girl disappearing from one box and reappearing in another box across stage makes perfect sense. But why the Zig-Zag(s)? Forgive me for being slow on the uptake, but I don't perceive how the Zig-Zag adds impact to the vanish and reappearance any more than a plain box, a cardboard box, a sword box, a sealed paper bag, etc. The Zig-Zag, despite its overexposure, is still an item unfamiliar to a lay audience. Since the main effect you are proposing is a vanish and reappearance, why create unnecessary suspicion by using a prop that looks so "magician-y"? Essentially I don't understand how the Zig-Zag makes the transposition stronger and vice-versa.
Again, I'm no expert and I am sure you know what you are doing. I'm just speaking as someone who watches a lot of magic shows and is often left bewildered as to what the performer is trying to accomplish and why.
"Don't run with those..."
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Bridge Water, to answer your question about why a Zig Zag. Well I invented this act in the early 90's. Back then that is where my mind was... I'm not saying that it's the greatest thing ever. I was just sharing with the magicians what I had once pitched to David many yrs ago..
I'm not a large fan of the Zig Zag at this point. It was one of my favorite illusions when I was a kid. My idea was to do something new and different.
Some may like it and others may not.

It came to me in a dream and I'm not sure why it was a Zig Zag to be honest with you. The version in my dream wasn't even the same as mentioned above. I took the dream and modified it and then starting working on it with my old John Gaughan ZZ that I had at the time and learned that I could make a girl vanish in it and the audience really liked it..
It's just one of those things that started as a thought and then started to unfold.

To each his own.
I still think that it's a great bit and would do it today in my own show if I had two sisters working with me.
I believe that this illusion has personality because you use an audience member and have have a lot of fun with this effect and the audience will like it because it's a fun bit with likeability.

Thank you,
Taylor Reed

Posted: Nov 23, 2009 4:23pm
-------------------------------
I believe that performing this zz effect it's a way to make it entertaining and not just another magic box... And by cutting a girl in thirds and trying to teach someone from the audience to do the same with an empty box until they get the hang of it makes since... The last thing the audience will expect is for the girl to change places... So now you have Comedy with the audience member then you have a great magic effect with the girl being cut up and then to top it off you have a vanish and reappear across the stage..
You have more to offer than just a regular ZZ in my opinion only...
Not that what I'm saying is the only way.. Just my opinion..
This illusion isn't practical in any form... Just a crazy idea that only certain people could pull off and would be nice for a one time TV deal or something like that..

Sorry to keep on talking about this, but I just wanted to talk about the benefits the audience gets from this effect.
Thank you all again for the kind words and comments and keep em coming..
Taylor Reed
www.taylorreed.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of trey
Nice routine! I really dig your creativity Mr. Reed!

Trey
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Taylor,

I agree with Dan on this! It's an unexpected twist to magi for sure I think and I'm one jaded magician!

I think perhaps a lay person might expect to see another girl appear in the participant's ZZ, but not your gal, but that's just my initial thought. I'll have to think on this some more, but I like it no doubt and a great way to spice up an old classic that still amazes!

Christian
Swann101
View Profile
Special user
539 Posts

Profile of Swann101
Great idea Taylor!
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Thanks again for the comments.
Swann 101 I look foward to seeing your photos and all on your idea.
www.taylorreed.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
Swann101
View Profile
Special user
539 Posts

Profile of Swann101
Taylor,
Mailed you! Would like to know what you think.
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Swann 101, Great creative thinken... I just sent you a private e-mail..
Go check it out.
Your fiend in Magic,
Taylor Reed
www.taylorreed.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
Taylor I really like the idea, and I have no doubt that an audience would be surprised by the transposition!

James
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Double Zig Zag Routine By Taylor Reed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL