We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Embossed Brass Cups & Balls w/ Wand Set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's really not a bad idea. As cheap as Phoenix cups are, it wouldn't be difficult at all.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
I went and bought some supplies tonight and have my phoenix cups earmarked for some testing. will post any results.

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Now this does sound exciting! Can't wait to see the results Todd...

Bri
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Oh Todd, that's daring of you... maybe you want to test on something less valuable first, like a brass lamp or a Magic Mocker cup?
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Magic Mocker!! Brilliant!
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Quote:
On 2009-11-24 11:00, DDecae wrote:
Oh Todd, that's daring of you... maybe you want to test on something less valuable first, like a brass lamp or a Magic Mocker cup?

No offense to Tom Frank, But I have had trouble nearly giving away my phoenix set! Not literally of course, but I would rather experiment on them then let them go for less than half of what I paid. The thick copper will give me good data on etchant times too.

-Todd
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Got a set here if you run out of cups to experiment on! Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I may have to order another set of these from Tom, just to see how they etch.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-11-24 13:22, lint wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-11-24 11:00, DDecae wrote:

No offense to Tom Frank, But I have had trouble nearly giving away my phoenix set! Not literally of course, but I would rather experiment on them then let them go for less than half of what I paid. The thick copper will give me good data on etchant times too.

-Todd

I'd sure take 'em off your hands! They're the only cups I use on the street that can stand up to my abuse...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8784 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have several "made in India" cups that I use for C&B that are chrome over brass, chemically etched, and then mechanically scribed around the design edges. The new ones in the photo do not look like this, so some other process is used, methinks. You used to be able to purchase hydrofluoric acid over the counter, but I doubt you can today. A thin coat of paraffin, and you can draw your own designs. You might also check into photo-relief processes.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of iugefu
They are definitely from India.
From Funtime, identified by the letters FT on the Daytona ad.
EZ Magic distributes in USA for them.
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Hydrofluoric acid is necessary ONLY for glass etching. Metal etching can be done with hydrochloric acid. There are other acids that will also work. I would avoid using either one. I would leave this to the pros.

The etchants used in PCB's are much milder and considerably safer to work with.

BTW, there are a lot of engravers in India. The old Sarna bells were engraved.

Posted: Dec 1, 2009 8:38pm
Okay. The cups arrived in the UPS shipment this evening. They are just as depicted in the ad. They are large enough to easily accommodate a tennis ball, but not quite big enough for a regular baseball.

The workmanship is generally good. There are some minor cosmetic issues on the surface of the bottoms of the cups, but at the price, I think that can be tolerated. The cups fit fairly loosely, so there is some wobble. They weigh just under 5 ounces each.

I have paid more for cups and gotten much less. All in all, I think they are decent cups.

I'll have photos in the database in a couple of days.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Bill, are the same size and shape as those other copper plated square-ish Fun Time cups that appeared for a while?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes, they are. The size and capacity are very close. Ditto the shape.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

halejs
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of halejs
Would still be interested in the Buma cups. If I had money to burn, I'd be tempted ... but are these really worth it? Thanks all ...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Silver Bullets may be a non-issue now. Buma has come out with a new set, which I should have next week. I'll keep you posted.

I've never gotten a cup from Buma that wasn't worth the price. The silver bullets were very nice cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I too would be interested, especially if these include the liquid feature. It's something I've been toying with off and on but haven't come up with anything that suits me just yet.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I spoke with Mark Burger (Buma, Jr.) yesterday. He gave me a brief description of what comes with the cups. He says he has improved his water loader, which, IMNSHO, is the most practical one available, so I'm not sure exactly what he did to it.

This will be his third marketed version of the water loader. The first appeared with his Nile cups. The second came with the Silver Bullets.

It appears to me that this set of cups is basically an "all in one" set. You have a cup that can be a chop cup, if you wish. You have a cup that will do some other work, which I think is a bit too technical for this part of the forum, and you have the water loader.

For less than $400, and in sterling silver -- that's a bargain.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Is this the Triple Combo set that Steven's is advertising for $350 then? The description on the site is quite exciting. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Embossed Brass Cups & Balls w/ Wand Set (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL