The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Brick Wall in a Bag...a quick review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I just received my new Brick Wall in a Bag backdrop and it rocks!! It comes with a hard plastic shell case which is on wheels as well as heavy canvas style bag. The frame goes up very easily and clips in place in a matter of seconds and the fabric is already on the frame and it's just a matter of attaching it to the end/side to give the 3d effect. Both the frame and the fabric are made of extremely durable material and should last a long long time with proper care particularly if you use the plastic hard shell case. The brick wall size is 7 1/2 foot by 10 foot wide and perhaps the only drawback might be that the size isn't adjustable. As an added bonus it comes with two clip on lights!! Needless to say I'm very happy with this investment and would highly recommend it to anyone else considering picking one of these up.

jeff
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Thanks for the review Jeff...If I didn't already have a back drop, I'd invest in this one. Mine takes a bit more to set up, but it works fine. Did you go through the manufacture directly?

Ken
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
How would it compare with Jeff Jones backdrop?
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
I'm not familiar with this product, but looking at the pictures:

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?product=10667

I think the jeff jones backdrop is certainly more suitable for children's parties. (I'm going just by the appearance - not ease of set up, etc). I think the brick wall would me much better suited to adult shows and comedians, etc.

Mark
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-11-23 15:08, Kevinr wrote:
How would it compare with Jeff Jones backdrop?

IMHO the Jeff Jones backdrop looks a bit dated. I say this because one of the fabrics that is used is exactly the same as the fabric from my previous backdrop. This opinion was reinforced for me when I spoke with a professional theatre director about it and he described it as "cheesy."

The brick wall does have a different look but with a few other set ideas you can change the look to make it look very different. Imagine some stick on grafitti tags with your important theme related messages...I think I saw this on the Wonder Imagery site. The use of the wall really is only limited by your imagination and doesn't have to be for adult/comedy type venues. It could be a street scene or it could be easily converted to an interior wall by adding a window graphic.

I know some people swear by there Jeff Jones Backdrop but I'm not one of them.

jeff
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
The advantage with the Jeff Jones backdrop is the fact that you aren't limited to one size. I nearly bought a spider type backdrop but realized that it wouldn't fit in some houses.
You could change your cloth on the Jeff Jones if you want!
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
Houses?
you bring a backdrop to someones house?
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
Yep! The backdrop fits at the end of the living room and converts the space into my theatre!
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
In 30 years of performing, I've never felt the need or wanted to take the time to put a backdrop up for a show in someone's home. BUT...I also don't do games and such as seems to be the custom in some other countries. There was one Café member a while back who made 4 trips to the car and did an hour and a half show in private homes.

Steve
gmindmagic
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of gmindmagic
I have the Brick wall in Bag, and Love it! Here is an idea I use with mine. I have small magnets I've placed on the fabric in the back, then for new posters or banners they have a magnet. On and off in a second I can customize my show very quickly! Enjoy the backdrop Smartini
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2009-11-24 06:52, Stevethomas wrote:
There was one Café member a while back who made 4 trips to the car and did an hour and a half show in private homes.

I do this all the time!

Mark
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
Quote:
On 2009-11-24 09:33, gmindmagic wrote:
I have the Brick wall in Bag, and Love it! Here is an idea I use with mine. I have small magnets I've placed on the fabric in the back, then for new posters or banners they have a magnet. On and off in a second I can customize my show very quickly! Enjoy the backdrop Smartini

That is a great idea
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
Quote:
On 2009-11-24 09:33, gmindmagic wrote:

That is a great idea
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7408 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2009-11-24 01:25, The Great Smartini wrote:
IMHO the Jeff Jones backdrop looks a bit dated. I say this because one of the fabrics that is used is exactly the same as the fabric from my previous backdrop. This opinion was reinforced for me when I spoke with a professional theatre director about it and he described it as "cheesy."

Which version of the Jeff Jones backdrop are you commenting on? The "fancied-up version" (extra frills and side curtains), or the plain one? Or both?

I suspect you are just commenting on the "fancied-up version."

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2009-11-24 06:52, Stevethomas wrote:
In 30 years of performing, I've never felt the need or wanted to take the time to put a backdrop up for a show in someone's home.
Steve

Steve, not only does a backdrop add a lot more theatre to your presentation, make you appear more professional, and surprise the heck out of mom and dad who just watched their living room transform into a theatre in about 30 seconds....but you also make it easier for everyone to see and enjoy your show, and ensure that any photos or videos look fab, because there's a proper backdrop.
It really makes sense in every way. Perhaps you've never seen a JJ backdrop, to realise that you would have bought one years ago!
Potty Smile
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
The Jeff Jones is so quick to put up it's realy not a problem in a house even if I'm just doing 40 mins, and you can hide all your rubbish behind it!
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
To me, using a backdrop makes my show a much brighter, more colorful experience. I also take several trips to the car for load in and load out.
When I see someone working with just a suitcase table and very few props, it looks to me too much like busking on the street, not like a show. A child's birthday is special to begin with, but when a parent pays for live entertainment, they should get something that is not only fun, but looks exciting and professional, too. Remember, this is just how I feel about my own act, I am not downplaying what others do or believe. No one way is the right way. To each his own...

:)

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-11-24 13:00, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-11-24 01:25, The Great Smartini wrote:

Which version of the Jeff Jones backdrop are you commenting on? The "fancied-up version" (extra frills and side curtains), or the plain one? Or both?

The version that I have has the blue star curtain. Some of the curtains that I saw at the site looked pretty gaudy/dated/tacky...again my opinion as an urban metrosexual and seconded by the set designer/painter of the Panto I'm in.

I suspect you are just commenting on the "fancied-up version."

- Donald
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1876 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I like the look of the brick wall, it is more contemporary, but it doesn't pack nearly as small as Jeff's. I don't think I have the extra room after my props, table, sound system, and parrot.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Brick Wall in a Bag...a quick review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL