The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Video cameras in the crowd? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jesse Dains
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Jesse Dains
Is it just me? Do you let people video your performance? What do you do to stop them?

For me, when anyone gets out a video camera during my routine, I pull out a small camera and point it at them. For some reason when, people are behind the video camera, they seem to think they are invisible. When you focus the attention to them. They will usually put the video camera down.
VampOfVegas
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
56 Posts

Profile of VampOfVegas
Honestly, havent had this problem yet.. that I know of, Just take aim that they could be zooming into your hands, so just move your hands around to keep them off of you just a little while to do a sleight. As if you need to do a pass, move to your side and do a pass on your knee. But most of the time our production company has a camera out already so they don't usually pull one out. But if they did I'd probably tell them to put it away saying something to everyone "Does Seigfreid and Roy let people bring cameras into their shows?" "no" "Really" then stare at them funny looking. Just something I'd probably do at a moments notice...
-=:Va(v)p:=-
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
Where are you at when you do your shows. If you are strolling, there's not much you can do but ask them in a nice way to stop, if you are on stage you should say "Please no taping during the show" Then they will know not to. Just a thought
Penn & Teller "God Bless Them"
Jesse Dains
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Jesse Dains
I do a lot of my shows at outdoor events. People tend to bring their video cameras there more than they would if they were just walking on the street, unless they are tourists.

While I know it’s legal for them to video tape me, I prefer people not to have my act on tape. Hey it’s my living and I worked hard to perfect it. (am I being over protective here?) If they want to ask me first, explain why they want to do it, I would respect them more. I would in all probability still say no.

Legal or not, I just think it’s rude and invasive. I know it’s part of what you have to deal with, when working on the street. But I have had drunks, in the edge, urinate on my props while I was working. If it was legal or not did not enter my mind. I did not like and I said something to him. Oh yeah I lost the tip, and the turn. The drunk thing has only happened once, the video thing maybe a half a dozen times.

My best way of dealing with this so far has been to focus my camera, and attention on them. The crowd also looks at them, so far most of them stop taping when this happens. I am assuming that they do not want to be the center of attention.

I would like to hear other methods of dealing with this problem. And I am surprised that it doesn’t seem to happen to anyone else. Could I be paranoid? Well of course I could be, but that doesn’t mean their not really after me. (sorry I couldn’t help that)
…………………..Jesse
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
I mainly do escape stuff on the street, and usually either with a gospel message or to support charity events.

I have no objections to people either filming me or taking pictures. If they want to remember me, that's fine! If they want to remember the message, that's even better! Smile

James.
devilsmagic
View Profile
New user
scotland
76 Posts

Profile of devilsmagic
I love it, it helps me put on a show!! It just means they want to remember you, go with it, man just make sure you say your name and number for events during it and they have it and whoever they show it too will get it

alan
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
You could always start running around like a mad man. Jump up and down and just have at it. Let them tape you while you are doing this. When they get home They are going to puke all over because they will get sick from all the running around you did.

HEHEHE Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
In a street venue, I do my show! Camera no camera, video recording or no video recording, I do my show.

I have seen performers stop their show as soon as they see a video Camera. Marker Jaster – a mime, who performs as “‘O’ a fool”! Is a good example, even when he is on stage at the Maryland Renaissance Festival, if he sees someone recording he stops and gets them to stop (never speaking of course).

I noticed that many people (not taping) tend to walk away from the show; I know that I have walked away from every performer that stopped his/her show to stop a person recording. Except in extremely rare cases, it simply breaks the momentum of the show.

Let me say that I go out of my way to watch a street performer no matter what is being performed (music, juggling, mime, puppets, even magic) and in all the years I have been watching I have never seen a show so unique that the performer needed to protect it from being stolen. Heck, most of the shows I have seen have many of the same patter lines.

My thinking is that if a person wants to tape my show then let them! If that person is going to steal my act then good luck to them! The tricks I do are not that original. I pride myself that my presentation is unique to me (uniquely me?). Good luck to anyone who wants to try to be me!

In terms of stealing a show, a note pad is just as good a tool as a videotape recorder. How do you stop someone from taking notes!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Jesse Dains
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Jesse Dains
I guess I am paronoid. Thanks for the response to my question.
..........Jesse
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
Harry is right. The show is all about how you do your show. All the tricks that I have ever seen can be found in a book somewhere
so someone somewhere else is doing that same trick. But when you put them next to each other to do the same trick, It would look different.
Jesse Dains
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Jesse Dains
It's not tricks I am worried about it's the patter.
.......Jesse
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1889 Posts

Profile of iamslow
If your patter is original, then I wouldn't worry about it. People who steal patter word for word usually sound like idiots using someone else's lines. I'm sure you have seen it around.. well at least I do with all these Blaine copycats in my area.
"Everyone is tough till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
I do not care at all. I just make sure the tricks that I do don't require a lot of misdirection while they are taping.
Sean Irvine
View Profile
New user
N.Ire UK/Ireland
55 Posts

Profile of Sean Irvine
I sort of see it as a compliment cus it's obviously something their gonna remember.

The only thing I have to worry about is making sure they aren't magicians and hope they don't know any, I don't want anyone taking credit for my effects before I get the credit myself.
--------------
Sean Irvine
([8^v>

"If the world didnt suck we'd all fall off"
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
That's a good point Sean, but I still like the exposure and the fact that people will remember me and hopefully remember that I'm amazing!

Good point though.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I tend to ignore camera`s. But as well as a magician I`m also a musician and film maker.
I once visited a film club and found someone had filmed me tuning up and had inserted it in a film as a laugh (?) Remember too that if a child does something silly they can sell the clip to one of those T.V. shows
JesseMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Oxnard, CA
124 Posts

Profile of JesseMagic
I agree Harry Murphy, just put a show on...
Smile
myshadow
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of myshadow
A tourist uses a video camera to capture the memories. If they are filming you, you are memorable. Lets hope you are memorable for the right reasons!
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
Yes, indeed I would be very flattered if someone videotaped me I would probably do something special with that guy to, like card to his pocket or something like that.
Hoelderlin
View Profile
Regular user
Turin, italy
112 Posts

Profile of Hoelderlin
If people want take a viedotape of your performance, this means they've find you interesting. Professional magicians often don't like to be taped, for copyright reason, but if you are not a video star, this is not your case. I think you have to face this problem: camcorders are widespread today, and, if you perform on the street and meet tourists, you cannot avoid they film you. You can't spend your life telling them to turn off cameras. Let they take a souvenir of you. About the fear to be exposed, I think it's a bit unrealistic to think that people spend their afternoon analyzing your performance and watching it in stop-motion... there is just one category of people that do it, namely magicians... Laymen usually do not discover tricks only because they are too lazy for doing this (for example, I noticed a site in which are exposed almost all the tricks played by David Blaine). Try, instead, to modify your performance watching your angles toward the camera and, if you can, perform effects that are "camera-proof",
Hölderlin (Massimo Manca) - Circolo Amici della Magia - Turin - Italy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Video cameras in the crowd? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL