The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Finding the Card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wardmagic
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of wardmagic
I saw Copperfield do a trick where he had a number of playing cards and he had a person select a card. I believe he then had everyone turn over the cards and shuffle the cards. He had you count a few cards from one stack to make another stack. In the end he told you which one was the card without turning the cards back over. What principle is he using and where is instructions on such a method.

Thanks Mike
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2014 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
I'm a bit confused by your description (a common occurrence on my side of the screen). Did you see this on a video link somewhere? It may be something that belongs to DC, in which case you're not likely to find an answer here. However, it may be available.

Are you familiar with Simon Aaronson's "Shuffle-Bored"? Something about your description (the one that confused me) reminds me of Shuffle-Bored, something most of us enjoy performing with cards, postcards or pictures.

Honestly, it sounds pretty involved just to tell someone the card they're thinking of. If I were to do such a thing, I'd use a glimpse. Or I'd have them shuffle, then I'd shuffle. They'd cut, look at the top card, then bury it in the center of the deck. By now, I'd know what the card was; no markings. Nothing new about either of those straightforward methods. But, if you're excited about what you saw DC do, perhaps you can tell us where and when you saw it? Perhaps it's exclusive, but if not you'll probably find it.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
I am confused by the description of the effect.
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1245 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Mike, are you referring to an effect he did with the home TV audience? E.g. get a deck of cards and play along... or are you referred to an effect he did with an audience member?

On a side note, I still have friends who to this day will talk about the "touch your screen" stuff Copperfield did. Many of them remember those simple math tricks more than any illusion he did. Potential lesson? Participation trumps everything.
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
wardmagic
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of wardmagic
Sorry for the confusion,!!

Pearljamjeff is correct. It was on one of his t.v. specials. He ask the audience to participate. He said get a deck of cards and play along. I beleive he had a live audience member (maybe a stooge) select the card everyone was going to use. I remember the audience person selecting the second card from the left side. I believe they started with 15 cards???? total (not absolutely positive). I think Copperfield said to turn the cards over and spell your name and count out the cards the number of letters. Then he told everyone to spell his name David and count out these number of cards. He said to place the remaining cards on top of the pile. Then he told them to picklup the pile and he then proceeded to tell them which card was the selected card from the begining as if to psychicly do it.
I believe from memory this is the way the routine went. Any help with the selected method would be appreciated. It was a very strong effect to me.
Thanks Mike
wardmagic
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of wardmagic
I believe you can have members of the audience participate if you supply them with printed pieces of paper.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Finding the Card (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL