The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Goshman pinch with a short pincky (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SlipperyPete
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of SlipperyPete
Can anyone give me any tips on dealing with this

My pinky reaches up about till the first line on the ring finger.

I cant just clip it like others, cause when I straighten out the fingers, I either flash or the coin sticks out. For me it always tilts the other way its supposed to. There is absolutely nothing I can do to make it tilt the way its supposed to

I have started to come up with my own modifications- like givng the coin an extra push downwards and turning my hand and what not.

Just wondering if others have the same problem and if they can offer some assistance of their own

Thanks,
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
SlipperyPete,

I'm sure with some practice you can get this. My little finger reaches to about the same place as yours. try moveing your little finger back just a bit more than your other fingers. this should cause the coin to tilt in the right direction. This will also help with the flash between your little and ring finger. you'll wanta keep your hand/s tilted silghtly downward, unless your performing for one or two spectators that are looking down on your hands.

Hope this helps,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I gave up on that a long time ago. I like to back clip, the Paul Cummins method, which I believe is very close to the Scotty York way.
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
SP,

I am in the same boat as you. I can do a lot of moves but just can't get the Goshman Pinch down. I have to do a back pinch with my first and second finger. You can try hours and hours of practice but in the end if you can't get it don't let it get to you just focus on your strengths.

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
First, it's Tenkai's pinch as used by Al Goshman when he showed Bobo the Tenkai Pennies.

Tenkai also used a center clip, between second and third fingers - a very workable concealment and taught by Sol Stone among others.

Now if you simply must ... gee too bad you can't do my backclip recovery with a short pinky... (as if that makes such a big deal) but beyond that slight I don't think the backclip mechanics is going to be more difficult for you to learn. AND... there's a different recovery taught by Homer Liwag and Chris Kenner which uses inertia that gives you almost the same results... so enjoy exploring DBC

:)
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey don't sell yourself short Pete. Just kiddin' Smile

Hey my pinky comes to about the same legnth as yours, probably most people's pinky does. The move is a really great one worth having in your arsenal and just takes practice but make sure you're doing it right and practice believing in yourself and it will happen for you.

Loads of directions here but some good actual instruction to take is from the Godfather, Vinny (vinsmagic here)...He has a vid (FREE to anyone that asks) that he's been sending out helping people with for years on the Pinch. I'm sure it will help you better understand and accomplish the move too. Just shoot him a PM about it and he'll help you like he helps everyone, from the heart. Just tell'em Mb sent'cha. Smile

Good luck. Oh and welcome to the Café. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I put the coin below the first line on the third finger, so your length should would out just right.

Once you stare at your hand and get the basic mechanics down, here is a good exercise for follow up practice to develop the muscles and speed.

Back clip an English Penny, and put a half dollar on your fingers. Put your thumb tip on the half and give an upward toss, releasing your grip on the Penny. As the Penny flies up, back clip the half and then catch the Penny on your hand dropping it slightly so the coin doesn't bounce.

Practice on your bed so you don't have to chase the coins very far. Smile Repeat. It is a pretty, visual change. By the way, practice the move with both hands.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Pete send me a pm with your email address I will send you ademo with my handling it hs helped many magicians a marion suggested
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Kirk, I've been doing that for years myself and once did it over and over again for about 50 tosses/changes from the back clip but not from the pinch. It's certainly a good exercise and some good fun to do as well. Smile

And hey Pete when you get the Tenkai Pinch working real well, look into my 10 Switch. It's the next level in using the Pinch. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Goshman pinch with a short pincky (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL