The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I passed on this. What would you do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Quote:
On 2009-11-26 19:51, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-11-26 01:19, Jeff Haas wrote:

They probably would have taken anyone who would have agreed to do the show as long as it fit into their budget.

Right. Good point.

- Donald

Neale
Be the guy that opens their eyes and blows them away...that's on the "artsy fartsy" side. On the business side, everyone's money is good, go and get it!
Just because they dented your artistic ego, does not mean your business sense should shut down.
Best Regards,
Chris
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
To answer your questions, I would have taken the job just to be sure to give the kids a great show.
In my years of doing this, I have always contacted the parents and explain what I expected of them, have an adult in the same room to keep the kids in line, and it never fails that I will be left alone with the kids.
Same parents just don't get it!
Life of Magic!
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
The last time I was in this position, I was booked for a "children's birthday party". The company I worked for went through the standard qualifying format, including "this much space in the home, this much time for set-up", etc.

When I got there, the birthday child was asleep - being only 1 year old!! I was shown to a small corner in the side yard and given five or six kids ages 4-12! While the rest of the party was going on, they were supposed to give me their attention for my full show.

I hated that gig!! Yes, I got paid. No, it wasn't worth it. I know (or learning) how I work best, and if I can't work that way, I won't do it. Not just for the ego sake, but I resent being backed into a corner where I can't give the customer what they wanted. They're not happy with what they've paid for, and I'm not happy until I'm at least six blocks away from them!!

There's a reason to ask qualifying questions - "Do you fit me?" is just as important as "Do I fit you?" My personal opinion - I hope I never get to the place where I will take *anything* just to get the money. May as well be a Wal Mart greeter or grocery bagger, rather than a magician.

Ed
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
ED Millis

Great post and great point.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
mr shiney
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of mr shiney
I guess for me it would depend if I needed the work
because theres no pride for me if the bills are not getting paid!!
my bookings went down so I started 8 year olds parties (normally 4 to 7)
now I can turn them down again.
so if you had no work coming in and had to feed your family Im sure you would be doing the booking
but you are lucky you can pick and choose.
one day I will only done parties for 5 year old girls and calm boys and only 20 guests and no stairs in the venue Smile
Best Job in the world

Mr Shiney
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2009-11-30 10:23, Ed_Millis wrote:

There's a reason to ask qualifying questions - "Do you fit me?" is just as important as "Do I fit you?" My personal opinion - I hope I never get to the place where I will take *anything* just to get the money. May as well be a Wal Mart greeter or grocery bagger, rather than a magician.

I find it fun and challenging to fit in with unusual requirements/set-ups/gigs. (and I've had plenty!) I don't consider it as "doing anything to get the money", more the mark of a professional who has the ability to adapt to any situation.

Mark
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Quote:
On 2009-11-30 10:23, Ed_Millis wrote:

Ed

Ed,

Thank you! Someone gets what I was saying! I love your post.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Some people thrive on challenge - I need a more predictable structure. If a calm and predictable show isn't your cup o' tea, send it to me or Neale!

Ed
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
Maybe the reason they didn't want you specifically is because they've never seen you work! I would have taken this gig and impressed them to the point that next time they needed an entertainer, it was me they asked for.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13396 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Anytime I don't really want the gig I just bid high. If they take it, we're all happy.

p.s. MagicSanta gave me a line I use all the time when there are little kids around with no parental supervision that is quite pointed but also hilarious.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
Yeah I agree with Frank. Once I got a request to do a show WAY out of town. I bid very high and told her that the price included my travelling fee. She was like "Great!" Hey, money for me.
magicone
View Profile
Veteran user
Doylestown, PA
355 Posts

Profile of magicone
I had a boss once that said "WWFM" and when I questioned what that was he said... "We Work For Money"

I believe it's personal perspective - I have only 6 gigs this December (so far)... I guess it depends on how hungry (or needy) you are - I find I'm a very high priced baby sitter in some cases but hey....WWFM!

Happy Holidays and may we all get what we need this year.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I passed on this. What would you do? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL