The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » That'll never work! Oh wait, it did. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
(I'd rather have posted this to a general magic forum so people in different disciplines could weigh in, but I couldn't find one, so I'll post here since my example applies to mentalism somewhat)

Yesterday, I met a friend on the bus and they showed some interest in magic. Instead of doing the usual which they already saw me do a while back, I decided to try something I saw on Derren Brown's "Devil's Picture Book" tape. I said it was hard to do and not to be disappointed if it didn't work (I would've done something more conventional if it had failed).

The friend went through a selection procedure with an invisible deck. When it was time to turn over my prediction, I got a great reaction. Somehow I managed to get the effect to work when I was expecting to fail miserably.

So, have you ever in a moment of pure despair tried an effect you didn't expect to deliver only to get a great reaction?
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1699 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Nice work MGM! I've clawed a few impossible successes from the jaws of failure before: I used to use a kind of flag deck to suss out what country someone was thinking of, effectively a kind of ranged force. I walked through the process and totally missed - it was clear they were thinking of a country that wasn't actually available to them in the range, so... one of about one hundred and eighty odd possibilities left then... I took a second to sum them up then shot out Egypt (a guess from nowhere). It worked!

They were pretty baffled having, I think, tried to throw me off / screw me up, but I swallowed my own amazement and just nodded sagely at this inevitable success. It was great.

Impossibly remote high five!
Check out the incredible Neural Miracle playing cards on Kickstarter:
-+: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phillsmith/incredible-magic-with-the-neural-miracle-playing-cards :+-
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
I used an Osterlind method to correctly predict thought of cards at a party. The first one was only a simple force with a bit of mumbo, to which the response was "ok, so what card am I thikning of now, then?"

I hit 100 per cent three times in a row before the girl freaked on me! Best moment ever that Smile

Erm, well, not quite... ;-)
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1699 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Withnail, that sounds awesome. I've had a few of these things happen - I think if I wasn't careful I would decide I was actually psychic.
-+: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phillsmith/incredible-magic-with-the-neural-miracle-playing-cards :+-
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
I was giving a woman a reading over the phone not too long and for reasons I cannot fathom I told her she had five children, two of whom were girls.

I was right. She was freaked out. I was stunned.
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I once classically forced two queens (hearts & diamonds)on two guys at a large dinner party. They happened to be gay, and they saw the 'coincidence' as a sign, bless them.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
JoeBlack
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of JoeBlack
The first time I tried one of DBs psychology forces something like that happened to me. When the person named the card she was thinking I was as shocked as her.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Every once in a while this happens to all of us who perform Magic on a regular basis...

Make sure you make the most of it every time, I know I do... Smile

Law of Averages, don't you just love it!

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2009-11-27 01:37, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Every once in a while this happens to all of us who perform Magic on a regular basis...

Make sure you make the most of it every time, I know I do... Smile

Law of Averages, don't you just love it!

Smile

Yeah, ain't it grand? Smile
swiss_magician
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
161 Posts

Profile of swiss_magician
Once, I wanted to force psychologicaly a letter of the alphabet to a friend, to test the method I developed. We were at a dinner table, no pen at disposal. with my fork, I wrote by pressure the letter on the paper table protection. I just placed a wine bottle above it.

And, after presenting this as an experiment, for one of the first times, my technique worked, spot on! After naming the letter I wanted him to name, I lifted the bottle so he could see that I knew in advance which one he would pick...My friend was kind of shocked. He checked some other places on the table just to see if I did not write other letters under other objects, but he found nothing. This day, I just felt like Derren xD
praetoritevong
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
139 Posts

Profile of praetoritevong
Nice work! Some of my routines have a chance of failing, some larger than others, so I know how you feel - and I've performed the routine you mentioned personally too..

Might I take this opportunity to add simply that if you believe you will succeed, it goes a surprisingly long way. To paraphrase a story in Richard Osterlind's excellent book Mystique - a hypnotist introduced as a hypnotist, billed as a hypnotist, believed to be a hypnotist and acting like a hypnotist has won the battle. Besides, failure is only bad if you think of it as bad!
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1699 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Quote:
On 2009-11-27 07:16, praetoritevong wrote:
Might I take this opportunity to add simply that if you believe you will succeed, it goes a surprisingly long way.

I know exactly what you mean. When I'm trying out psych forces and the like I usually like to have a physical out or some kind of back up: it gives me the confidence to play around with no fear of failure, and this confidence in turn seems to make the hit rate go up significantly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » That'll never work! Oh wait, it did. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL